Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x

Eldar said:
Have had it for a couple of weeks, but only tried it in the neighborhood. I still need some time to get used to having zoom on such a big lens, but it´s coming.
1DX, 560mm, f5.6, 1/250s, ISO1600, handheld.
I have attached a small crop from the upper right hand part of the picture. It is straight from the raw file, no adjustments made. I find the shapes and edges of the bubbles and leaves in this out of focus area rather strange. I have looked at a bunch of images shot more or less at the same place, with the 600mm f4L IS II. I have not been able to find anything similar there. The bokeh is much smoother and cleaner.
Comments about the bokeh performance of this lens, especially from those of you who have had the lens longer than me, would be most appreciated.

Attachments

• Duck bokeh.jpg
    Duck bokeh.jpg
    994.4 KB · Views: 1,367
Upvote 0
Eldar said:
Have had it for a couple of weeks, but only tried it in the neighborhood. I still need some time to get used to having zoom on such a big lens, but it´s coming.
1DX, 560mm, f5.6, 1/250s, ISO1600, handheld.

You caught the duck beautifully, but I do agree with your following post that the water, especially in the corners, looks a bit odd. Did you ever figure out what it is? eml58 is probably the guy to ask, as he has had his a fair while.

Upvote 0
Good to see someone posting with this lens again. Looking forward to many more Jim! (also good to see that someone competes with me on cat images ;))

I have not used it much this summer, but I did (unsuccessfully) hunt puffins on a far western island in the north of Norway. No birds, but an unusual use of the lens, to shoot a sunset. This is over the dark and beautiful profile of the island Træna. Beyond that, there is nothing but water until you hit Greenland. The cliff to the right is a good climb and it is 338m high.

5DIII, 1/160s (handheld), f5.0, ISO2000

Attachments

• _B3A1099.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 504
Upvote 0
Here is a 100% zoom, 1/500, f/5.6, ISO 2500 on a 1Dx. It was on a gimbal on a decent tripod on some bouncy bleachers; I don't know how much it hurt but it wasn't the thirty-foot deep concrete plinth we all dream of. ;)

It got the lens profile and a little dodge & burn but nothing else.

Jim

Attachments

• Collie.jpg
    Collie.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 460
Upvote 0
First post:

Have had the lens for about one year now. I use it daily and love it all focal lengths; with and without extender employed.

This at 560mm on 1DX

Miami_0042-vi.jpg

Upvote 0
IncrediblyAvgPhotog said:
At ease, Jim ;)

The Double-Ugly F-4 is still in the USAF inventory. Two bases, Tyndall AFB and Holloman AFB, both regularly operate these F-4's. They've all be modified to be full-scale drones, so that while this particular flight had a pilot on board, the aircraft can also be flown by ground controllers sans on board pilot.

Huh. I saw a show on their program to refurbish F-16s for it, I figured they'd gone through all the F-4s. We had one here doing an AB run the one time, even sitting in a van with ear defenders on it was remarkably loud.

Great shot, drone or otherwise; someone obviously loves that airplane.

Jim

Upvote 0