Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x

Krob78

When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
Aug 8, 2012
The Florida Peninsula
IncrediblyAvgPhotog said:
First post:

Have had the lens for about one year now. I use it daily and love it all focal lengths; with and without extender employed.

This at 560mm on 1DX

Miami_0042-vi.jpg
Magnificant capture Incredibly!

Upvote 0

FEBS

Action Photography
CR Pro
Yesterday I took this one with my 1Dx 200-400 combo on a local Belgium Airshow. I will post some more examples during the next days. The sky was changing a lot during the day and not the best, but the show was marvelous.

20140914-_1D_4059-L.jpg

200mm

20140914-_1D_6888-L.jpg

258mm

20140914-_1D_3720-L.jpg

350mm

20140914-_1D_6775-L.jpg

560mm

A real great lens. And what a combo with the 1Dx.
All comments welcome.

Upvote 0

Crapking

"Whatever you are....be a good one." AL
Nov 9, 2011
jjlabella.photoshelter.com
Fall golf by NAVBPhotos, on Flickr

Took this monster out for a swing on my latest golf afternoon. On loan from CPS for some field hockey / volleyball tournaments this week, but snuck out to play / shoot too. My playing partner was gracious enough to let me take a few shots. Really enjoyed this lens, was surprisingly able to handhold this with a RRS L plate on my 1Dx - though was glad to put it down in my golf cart between shots / holes.

Upvote 0

Crapking

Nov 9, 2011
Tee Time by NAVBPhotos, on Flickr

Comments on the bokeh here ?
Distracting or interesting? Was really only playing a round of golf and bringing the camera was an afterthought, but did want to see how this lens performed wide open. I have been trying to shoot more open, and with lower ISO lately and not sure this works for this shot.
As a side note, I actually had a hole-in-one on this hole a few weeks ago, so wanted to get a tee to green shot as someone tee'd off. I like the dreamy quality but if this was your tee shot, would you want more depth of field ?

Upvote 0

Crapking

Nov 9, 2011
untitled-341.jpg by NAVBPhotos, on Flickr

Here was similar one @f/11, but had to lower shutter, raise ISO - I suspect most would tolerate higher ISO and raise shutter even more - but ahh the compromises we make :). If you were to purchase a shot like this or the last one, what is more important, DOF, stop action, or noise ??

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
IncrediblyAvgPhotog said:
First post:

Have had the lens for about one year now. I use it daily and love it all focal lengths; with and without extender employed.

This at 560mm on 1DX

Miami_0042-vi.jpg

Nice picture BUT: have you missed the focus? It seems like the focus is on the reflection and not on the bird. Pls correct me if I am wrong.

Upvote 0

Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica) by alabang, on Flickr

The barn swallow (Hirundo rustica) is the most widespread species of swallow in the world. It is a distinctive passerine bird with blue upperparts, a long, deeply forked tail and curved, pointed wings. It is found in Europe, Asia, Africa and the Americas. In Anglophone Europe it is just called the swallow; in Northern Europe it is the only common species called a "swallow" rather than a "martin".

There are six subspecies of barn swallow, which breed across the Northern Hemisphere. Four are strongly migratory, and their wintering grounds cover much of the Southern Hemisphere as far south as central Argentina, the Cape Province of South Africa, and northern Australia.[2] Its huge range means that the barn swallow is not endangered, although there may be local population declines due to specific threats.

The barn swallow is a bird of open country which normally uses man-made structures to breed and consequently has spread with human expansion. It builds a cup nest from mud pellets in barns or similar structures and feeds on insects caught in flight.[4] This species lives in close association with humans, and its insect-eating habits mean that it is tolerated by man; this acceptance was reinforced in the past by superstitions regarding the bird and its nest. There are frequent cultural references to the barn swallow in literary and religious works due to both its living in close proximity to humans and its annual migration.[5] The barn swallow is the national bird of Austria and Estonia.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barn_swallow

Location: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Rice_Research_Institute

Philippine Birds

Camera Canon EOS 7D Mark II
Exposure 0.006 sec (1/160)
Aperture f/5.6
Focal Length 560 mm
ISO Speed 160
Lens Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4X

Upvote 0
The extreme setup of Canon 200-400 f/4 1.4x at 560mm with both 2x & 1.4x extenders attached (joined together by an ef1.2 extension tube) - for a total 1592mm focal length - ISO 500 1/80 at f/11, -0.67ev on Canon 5D3 in manual focus mode. Still remarkably sharp - modulo my focusing skills, of course. No crop.

Attachments

• 871C4600.jpg
    871C4600.jpg
    490.5 KB · Views: 657
Upvote 0