72653720.jpg

Very nice - I like less is better pictures

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

Daniel Flather said:
briansquibb said:
A portfolio shot for an actress friend

Nice lens, you obviously have one now. That's a fun unboxing.

Possibly the best lens I have used, on the 1Ds3 makes a superb portrait lens, on the 7D a good medium telephoto

Trying to make up my mind on a 300 f/2.8 II at the moment - perhaps when my next pension cheque comes through

Upvote 0
briansquibb said:
Daniel Flather said:
briansquibb said:
A portfolio shot for an actress friend

Nice lens, you obviously have one now. That's a fun unboxing.

Possibly the best lens I have used, on the 1Ds3 makes a superb portrait lens, on the 7D a good medium telephoto

Trying to make up my mind on a 300 f/2.8 II at the moment - perhaps when my next pension cheque comes through
The 200/2 with the new 1.4TC should make a nice 280/2.8. Now the 400/2.8 is another lens I'd like to try, but its price makes the 200/2 seem affordable. I just paid my income tax bill, so funds for photo gear is zero atm.

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

Daniel Flather said:
The 200/2 with the new 1.4TC should make a nice 280/2.8. Now the 400/2.8 is another lens I'd like to try, but its price makes the 200/2 seem affordable. I just paid my income tax bill, so funds for photo gear is zero atm.

I usually carry two cameras around with me. The 200 and the 400 make a big gap, so I was wondering about the 200 on the 1DS3 and the 300 on the 1D4 for example. Or a 300 and 400 combo or a 70-200 f/2.8 on the 7D and the 300 on the 1D4.

I am sure you get my drift

Upvote 0
briansquibb said:
Daniel Flather said:

I usually carry two cameras around with me. The 200 and the 400 make a big gap, so I was wondering about the 200 on the 1DS3 and the 300 on the 1D4 for example. Or a 300 and 400 combo or a 70-200 f/2.8 on the 7D and the 300 on the 1D4.

I am sure you get my drift

Sure do, you're not sure if you should take the Porsche or the Ferrari out today. :)

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

Daniel Flather said:
Sure do, you're not sure if you should take the Porsche or the Ferrari out today. :)

8) 8) 8) I do find it amusing that my car is worth about 30% of the camera gear I carry around ;D

Like the cameras I keep the car until it falls to bits - a car is only for travelling from A to B, so as long as it does that reliably I keep it - usually between 7 and 10 years. This approach was why I didn't get a DSLR until 2009 because my film cameras were still giving excellent results. My 24-105 was on my film cameras first - the only lens I kept from those days.

I would expect in 5 years time my kit wont have changed much - perhaps added to at the short end. The 14mm, TSE-17 and new 24-70 are the only extras I can think of (apart from the 300). I am looking for a lot of flash at the moment - the McNally/Hobby/Arena exploits with gang flash look very interesting and I can see some use for it.

Kepp posting your great landscapes - I just cant 'see' landscapes whereas you seem to have the eye for them. They are very beautifull!

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

This lens is SO good. I always thought the 135 f/2 was good - but this is in another league even above the much aclaimed 70-200 f/2.8 II

The previous examples were softened by the forum software - the A4 prints are just stunning. A3 are even better. I am taking pictures for this actresses portfolio rather than a brilliant photos

Here is another - just look at the separation, contrast and unbeatable bg blur! Click on pic for larger image

IMG_8884x.jpg

Upvote 0
briansquibb said:
This lens is SO good. I always thought the 135 f/2 was good - but this is in another league even above the much aclaimed 70-200 f/2.8 II

The previous examples were softened by the forum software - the A4 prints are just stunning. A3 are even better. I am taking pictures for this actresses portfolio rather than a brilliant photos

Here is another - just look at the separation, contrast and unbeatable bg blur! Click on pic for larger image

IMG_8884x.jpg
yeah that's not background blur thats background anihilation.
I'm just trying to imagine how i'm going to get funding approval from my wife for a $6000 200mm lens
I only use my 70-200 at 200 now if i need reach the 85 doesnt have and it ok but compared to the 85 siggy its not even close.
The 70-200 is a decent travel lens for me.

Have you used the 200/f2 with teleconverters? how is it at 280 f2.8 and 400 f4?

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

wickidwombat said:
yeah that's not background blur thats background anihilation.
I'm just trying to imagine how i'm going to get funding approval from my wife for a $6000 200mm lens
I only use my 70-200 at 200 now if i need reach the 85 doesnt have and it ok but compared to the 85 siggy its not even close.
The 70-200 is a decent travel lens for me.

Have you used the 200/f2 with teleconverters? how is it at 280 f2.8 and 400 f4?

I have the 200/400/600 + 7D, 1d4, 1Ds4 - I switch the 200 between the 1D4 and the 1DS3. Also have the 135 f/2 as well

So only use the tc on the 600 :)

Here is the same person singing at a concert - taken with the 1D4 and 200 f/2. iso500, f/2, 1/200 - no flash allowed

Attachments

• B09G4979 copyx.jpg
    B09G4979 copyx.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 3,001
Upvote 0
dolina said:
K-amps said:
dolina said:
Thanks willrobb, handsomerob, briansquibb and K-amps.

The first two images were photographed with a 5D2 using it's center AF point.

K-amps & thepancakeman, good eye. I was shooting at f/2.0 and did not crop so only the camera's in the DoF. As I am not used to shooting portraits with the lens I miscalculated the DoF.

briansquibba I would buy this lens if you need an extra stop of IS, an extra stop of light and the bokeh. If you need neither then the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM is more than sufficient.

Thanks Dolina... needless to say, it is one heck of a lens!

That it is. That it is.

Here's another shot of the model that ya all like so much. :)

TLR by alabang, on Flickr

faint... ;)

Upvote 0