Canon EF 24-70 f/4L IS Coming [CR3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dylan777 said:
marekjoz said:
Dylan777 said:
I can see the benefits of f2.8 IS - but 24-70 f4 IS?????

Let me guess...Canon going to charge more for a shorter in lenght(24-105) and slower f-stop(f2.8) lens.

WOW....their marketing team is getting smarter and smarter everyday.

There will be reasonable explanations for it:
1. STM motor
2. Better focusing with newer bodies
3. Next generation IS
4. Better coatings
5. Less distortion at 24mm
And a sentence: "Specially dedicated for photo enthusiast covering focals above 70mm with their 70-200 zooms, this newly developed best in it's class lens is better optimized through it's whole focal range."

They can't even do that on 24-70 f2.8 II - A $2300 LENS
It may be easier in F4 lens for 1399$ :)

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
marekjoz said:
Dylan777 said:
marekjoz said:
Dylan777 said:
I can see the benefits of f2.8 IS - but 24-70 f4 IS?????

Let me guess...Canon going to charge more for a shorter in lenght(24-105) and slower f-stop(f2.8) lens.

WOW....their marketing team is getting smarter and smarter everyday.

There will be reasonable explanations for it:
1. STM motor
2. Better focusing with newer bodies
3. Next generation IS
4. Better coatings
5. Less distortion at 24mm
And a sentence: "Specially dedicated for photo enthusiast covering focals above 70mm with their 70-200 zooms, this newly developed best in it's class lens is better optimized through it's whole focal range."

They can't even do that on 24-70 f2.8 II - A $2300 LENS
It may be easier in F4 lens for 1399$ :)
They better make a superb 24-105 f/4L IS II if they want us to think seriously of it. Just my opinion...

Upvote 0
The 24-70 F4L IS makes good sense as a 6D kit lens. Better IS and image stabilization than the 24-105 at an affordable price sounds pretty reasonable to me, but the lack of telephoto range is unfortunate. It may well come with a release price of $1000+ but will likely be a steal when bundled with the 6D, leaving buyers with more spare cash to spend on a 70-200.

Upvote 0
Viggo said:
Of all Canon lenses that ever could be made and/or updated THIS is what I MOST wanted out of everything in the history of everything and the people of the earth NEEEED it...

And yes, I am of course kidding, this is the dumbest crap I have ever seen.....
Haha Viggo! I can't believe this is CR3. Whatever the case it will no doubt be video friendly which seems to be more important than being photographer friendly these days, like an illuminated focus point...

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
I find a few things interesting

1. suddenly the 24-105, which used to be too slow, have too much distortion, and be a 'gimmick L' lens is getting a LOT of respect! (I read so much crap about this lens that i held off buying it for years, and now that i have one i'm so happy.)

2. Because someone here 'didn't ask' for this lens, they assume no one did. Others assume to have Canon's market research knowledge based on what they read in forums.

3. People seem unable to set reasonable expectations. $500 for this? Really? Cheaper than a 7yr old L? Nothing in the camera marketplace or Canon's recent history point to that. And just because it is said in a forum does not mean it will impact a company's pricing strategy.

4. Its already DOA, and the specs aren't even out yet. Seems like we're piling on even earlier than usual.

-Brian

Upvote 0
The only reason for Canon to make a 24-70mm f/4L IS as opposed to an f/2.8L IS is simply cost. It is much easier and cheaper to make an IS lens with a smaller aperture, by a multiple of the cost of redesigning the 24-70mm f2.8 II lens (not twice as cheap but one eighth or one-tenth as cheap or some other fraction like that).

Everybody on CR moans about how pricey new L lenses are - so Canon are finally listening.

Daniel Flather + Unfocused have it right between them:

24-70mm f/4L $800,
24-70mm f/4L IS $1000

Both of these will appeal to 6D buyers (and 6D buyers will outnumber 5D3 owners by a similar factor as Rebel owners outnumber 7D owners).

Remember, the sharpest zoom lens that Canon ever made with IS was their 1st ever 4-stop lens: the 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM lens @ 85mm is sharper in the center than the newer 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II according to multiple reviews (and noticeably sharper than the non-IS version btw).

For 6D owners with 11 AF points and only 1 x cross-type center point, this f4 IS lens is perfectly suited (and as Unfocused says it will become the kit lens - just as the 24-105 f/4L IS was for the 5D2)

Finally, Canon may even release a 24-70mm f/2.8L IS lens in late-2013, but it will cost probably $2,700 or $2,800, so will only appeal to the comparatively fewer shooters that own a 5D3 or 1DX body.

edit: If I were Canon Inc. I would want a new affordable standard zoom for 6D owners, to be released in early-2013, one with better IQ than the current 24-105mm model whose focal length is too close to telephoto zooms.

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
ahsanford said:
wickidwombat said:
RLPhoto said:
Marsu42 said:
RLPhoto said:
You won't see many people actually going and Buying this lens for they're current cameras. ::)

I see this one as a cheaper plasticy (like 100L) 6d kit, lighter weight, smaller size and latest IS vs 24-105. Many people will prefer it and put the $$$ saved into a 70- tele.

Yeah but the 24-105L is already sharp for around 800$ used. This lens would have to be 599$ for it to fly and knowing canon lately, I seriously doubt that.

My guess. DOA.

I agree, however i also thought the 40mm pancake looked weak on paper however for the size, price point and image quality it delivered in spades!
now mentioning that little bad boy I cant see much value in a 24-70 f4 vs the 40mm pancake other than IS

its certainly a wierd offering considering the 50mm line so desperately needs an update

its gonna have to be cheap, sub $500 to fly IMO

+1 on the 40 prime as an example of what looks 'meh' on paper (at announcement time) being potentially far more value in actual use. I'm really hoping Canon is speaking to end user benefit somewhere other than the 'horsepower specs' of aperture, length and IS. Crossing my fingers on small size/weight and cost, but I doubt either will be stellar.

+5 on speaking to the 50 prime. The 50 F/1.4 remains a staple for me (despite a host of L lenses I own), and it's from 1993! A bread and butter lens like that should be on a five year refresh cycle.

A budget 40mm pancake at 2.8 isn't so bad. Now the question is would you buy if it was f/4? That's the question.

Upvote 0
I am sorry but I don't get all the complaining. The 70-200 F/4L IS an absolute cracker.

Frequently we find ourselves discussing image quality. If an affordable improved standard zoom becomes available with great image quality I can't see it being DOA. If people love the 24-105 well then it will probably become a little cheaper anyway so they can get it and everyone wins.

I reckon $1200.

...and for real, why is IS all of sudden only for videographers. Nasty Canon - always pandering to the needs of those fools who should just buy a real video camera.

Upvote 0
2n10 said:
RLPhoto said:
Err, I think canon is losing it. Why not just re-vamp the 24-105L Mk.2?

This lens will be DOA.

Their evil plan is to drive all of the moaners and groaners nuts.

I doubt it will be DOA if the price is significantly less than the 2.8 is.

I never thought the 24-105mm had enough reach. But I think a 24-70 f/4 is a waste. Um, there is already two 2.8's coming...

Give me a 28-135/150mm f2.8L and I'd be seriously happy.

Upvote 0
I'm much too disinterested to read all of this eight-page thread so forgive me if I'm repeating anything.

Here is my speculation. This lens will be, to all intents and purposes, the 24-105mm II. It will be a better performer than the 24-105mm, but Canon decided that achieving their IQ goal in the final 35mm of its range was too much of a stretch so they decided to peg it back to 24-70mm, in which range its IQ will be consistently high. They probably felt that this was not too much of a compromise, given that most users will also have a telezoom starting at 70mm.

I'm expecting it to be considerably more expensive than the 24-105mm. The 24-105mm will remain as the FF kit lens.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
dave said:
I am sorry but I don't get all the complaining. The 70-200 F/4L IS an absolute cracker.

Frequently we find ourselves discussing image quality. If an affordable improved standard zoom becomes available with great image quality I can't see it being DOA. If people love the 24-105 well then it will probably become a little cheaper anyway so they can get it and everyone wins.

I reckon $1200.

...and for real, why is IS all of sudden only for videographers. Nasty Canon - always pandering to the needs of those fools who should just buy a real video camera.

I'm in the minority in believing that IS is great at any focal length. IS buys me more handholdability in low light. I can keep my ISO sub-stratospheric and still net the shot.

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
dave said:

I reckon $1200.

I'm in the minority in believing that IS is great at any focal length. IS buys me more handholdability in low light. I can keep my ISO sub-stratospheric and still net the shot.

It also means if we accidently drink too much coffee, we still have a fighting chance at a decent photo :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.