Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=10050"></g:plusone></div><div id="fb_share_1" style="float: right; margin: 0 0px 0 10px;"><a name="fb_share" type="box_count" share_url="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=10050" href="http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php">Share</a></div><div><script src="http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/connect.php/js/FB.Share" type="text/javascript"></script></div><div class="tweetmeme_button" style="float: right; margin-left: 10px; margin-bottom: 70px;"><a class="tm_button" rel="&style=normal&b=2" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=10050"></a></div>
<strong>June 17, 2012?

</strong>According to B&H, for the moment Canon is holding to the arrival of June 17, 2012 for the new Canon EF 24 f/2.8 IS & EF 28 f/2.8 IS lenses. They are both now available for preorder.</p>
<p><strong><a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/843009-USA/Canon_5345B002_EF_24mm_f_2_8L_IS.html/BI/2466/KBID/3296" target="_blank">Canon EF 24 f/2.8 IS at B&H for $849.95</a></strong></p>
<p><strong><a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/843011-USA/Canon_5179B002_EF_28mm_f_2_8_IS.html/BI/2466/KBID/3296" target="_blank">Canon EF 28 f/2.8 IS at B&H for $799.95</a></strong></p>
<p>I played around with the 24 f/2.8 IS for a bit and liked it at first glance, I haven’t touched the 28 f/2.8 IS as of yet.</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

I can't imagine them getting too many preorders. This is a ton of money to pay for a lens with a f/2.8 aperture that is a non L lens. The 17-55 is not much more expensive than 1 of these. Plus Sigma & Tamron both have f/2.8 zoom options at a fraction of the cost. Or there are some great options for 24-70mm lenses for hardly any more including the new Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC. You can get a 24-105 IS for the same price as only 1 of these lenses and it's only 1 stop slower, but it is L glass, has a tremendous zoom range, and is weather resistant. I'm really not sure the advantage to these lenses. If they were f/1.8 or faster, they would have an advantage over the zooms. If you are using these for video, the sharpness/resolution from Canon's video on any camera (even the 5DIII) is low enough that you will not see the difference between these primes and the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, even if they are tack sharp at f/2.8. Wtf Canon? Putting IS on these lenses and leaving it out of the 24-70? Who is running the lens dept. The 5DIII was a direct response to everything we disliked with the 5DII. These lenses and the new 24-70 make no sense to most Canon customers.

Upvote 0
DanielG. said:
facedodge said:
The 28mm seems like an odd length to me.

A 28mm is great on a crop camera IMO. A bit wider than a 50mm on a FF.
Just get a Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS or the way cheaper sigma and tamron version and all your problems of figuring out the correct focal length are solved. Still not sure why you would buy either of these lenses.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
dswatson83 said:
I can't imagine them getting too many preorders. This is a ton of money to pay for a lens with a f/2.8 aperture that is a non L lens. The 17-55 is not much more expensive than 1 of these.

Of course, the excellent 17-55mm f/2.8 IS doesn't work on FF, and these are f/2.8 primes with IS. Nothing close in the Canon lineup, although the Tamron remains an option. I wonder if the lack of IS on the 24-70 wasn't at least partially influenced by marketing to increase demand for these lenses...

Upvote 0
Focus ring looks annoyingly small for video too.

I'd need to see how good the stabilizing is to pass real judgement for video though. That said, you could pick up the old 24mm for $300 and the Opteka Steadyvid Pro for $179 and an Opteka shoulder rig for $100 and a Chinese rail system on EBay for $60 and Hondo Garage's $50 follow focus and a Manfrotto fluid video head for $129 and have a whole slew of filmmaking rigs for steady picture in any situation for the price of one of these.

Upvote 0
Two better options at a much better value is either the Canon 17-55mm 2.8 IS, or Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 VC.

In video mode these new primes will not have any optical advantages over the mentioned zooms. The only advantage is being more portable. Stupid high price for lenses nobody asked for.

Canon 24mm & 28mm 2.8 IS = $1650

Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 VC = $1299

Canon 17-55mm 2.8 IS = $1099

Upvote 0
S

sammydavisjrjr

Im on the fence about the 28 IS for $800 but do think its a valuable focal length for full frame video. I find 28 to be the widest I can go with acceptable distortion. Shooting real estate, Ive always used a glide cam zoomed at 28mm and with the IS, I think it can be even better to take out some of the small shakes. the 24-105 is heavy for glidecaming and I don't like the constant f4. From what Ive seen and read, the tamron is no great shakes and the 82mm filter size means expensive or not available filters. Yes the new canon 24-70 has 82mm but at 3 times the price, its not even in this discussion.

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
Canon EF 24 f/2.8 IS at B&H for $849.95

Canon EF 28 f/2.8 IS at B&H for $799.95

A local price comparison site brought 5 stores that sells the EF 24 f/2.8 for < $500 including all taxes. The new price is going to make it hard to sell the lens, especially as it would have to compete with the 5D's kit lens (only one stop slower), and crop camera owners have the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS as an alternative (a dozen local shops offer it for <U.S.$1,250 including all taxes).

Upvote 0
c.d.embrey said:
I've been shooting motion for over thirty years, and have NEVER felt the need for IS. For me, f/1.8 :) would have been more useful than IS :(. I think I'll pass.

Exactly, these lenses should be f/1.8 lenses for the price Canon is trying to charge. $850 for a 24mm 2.8 prime is ridiculous. It's not like it's a macro lens.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Christian_Stella said:
Focus ring looks annoyingly small for video too.

I'd need to see how good the stabilizing is to pass real judgement for video though. That said, you could pick up the old 24mm for $300 and the Opteka Steadyvid Pro for $179 and an Opteka shoulder rig for $100 and a Chinese rail system on EBay for $60 and Hondo Garage's $50 follow focus and a Manfrotto fluid video head for $129 and have a whole slew of filmmaking rigs for steady picture in any situation for the price of one of these.

Thanks for this info!!
Just curious, with the Opteka shoulder rig...can you attach the Hondo Garage follow focus to it? I see the Opteka is not a rails system....so, wondering how easy/difficult it is to mount other things to it such as the Hondo Garage follow focus, and maybe an external monitor?

TIA,

cayenne

Upvote 0
P

paul13walnut5

I have yet to see these new lenses in the metal.

When I heard of the re-designs I was very excited, the old 28mm f2.8 was one of the favourite lenses I have owned:

Great standard lens on APS-C
Sharp wide open on APS-C
Compact
Cheap

A lot to like, sure the old AFD drive was a bit of an anachronism, sure MF was a bit scratchy, and bokeh a bit hexagonal, but for the dough...

USM great addition for when I'm doing stills

IS, hmm, not a great addition for me, if the lens is for video users then they are always going to be at a fast enough shutter at this focal length to avoid too much intraframe blur (although as video is contiguous the camera should be supported in some way anyway - further negating the use of IS)

but if it was sharper again

with better blur

with a larger smoother focus ring for MF in video

if it's priced well...

HOLY ******!!!! Are they having a giraffe!

I appreciate that these lenses will be small sellers from which to recoup R&D and tooling costs, but priced this is self defeating. If they priced it at double the price of the outgoing lens they would sell three times as many.

If this lens is aimed at video guys then perhaps canon need to take a leaf out of SAMYANGs book...

Scrap the costly electronics. Give us a wide smooth focus ring and scale with end stops, and an ENG style stepless aperture. And price it sensibly.

If you shoot video the Samyang 24 f1.4 is vastly more appealing than the canon 24, IS or not, and the 35m f1.4 is vastly more appealing than the 28mm IS.

Glad to see canon develop new lenses. Very concerned about the pricing. That second step on the ladder shouldn't be too big, look at the simpler cheaper G series DX prime lenses Nikon have been launching... simple lenses, good optics, prices that entry and mid level users won't grudge.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.