Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM

Re: Canon EF 24mm f/1.4 II L USM

So, wow, this lens is freaking awesome. I had a wedding in vermont, and of course, i was going to be in vermont and i have been thinking of this lens for a while but just couldn't see adding it to the bag because i had the 16-35 and the 24-70 (v1) - so i rented the 24. Upon getting home from Vermont I considered the senior shoot I was doing that evening and decided to keep the 24 for an extra day. And with a wedding this weekend, I decided to call and ask for an extension till monday.

I know many have told me I should just upgrade my 24-70, but, there is something just ohhh so nice about this lens, the colors, the FOV, the fact that it's wide with relatively low distortion. And yeah, the fact that it can go to 1.4, yeah, that kicks at a wedding reception. This lens will be mine, it's just a matter of how, can I swing picking it up without selling the 24-70???? I'd like to keep that lens like on the shelf because it was my first piece of L glass (and yeah, as a backup just in case anything goes wrong). financially, I may need to just sell it though...we shall see, either way, I am sold, the 24mm kicks major ass!!!!!

Attachments

• CAPL8660.jpg
    CAPL8660.jpg
    575.4 KB · Views: 1,159
  • IMG_9422.jpg
    IMG_9422.jpg
    578.5 KB · Views: 1,358
  • CAPL8367.jpg
    CAPL8367.jpg
    494.6 KB · Views: 1,199
  • IMG_8840.jpg
    IMG_8840.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 1,199
Upvote 0

Chuck Alaimo said:
So, wow, this lens is freaking awesome. I had a wedding in vermont, and of course, i was going to be in vermont and i have been thinking of this lens for a while but just couldn't see adding it to the bag because i had the 16-35 and the 24-70 (v1) - so i rented the 24. Upon getting home from Vermont I considered the senior shoot I was doing that evening and decided to keep the 24 for an extra day. And with a wedding this weekend, I decided to call and ask for an extension till monday.

I know many have told me I should just upgrade my 24-70, but, there is something just ohhh so nice about this lens, the colors, the FOV, the fact that it's wide with relatively low distortion. And yeah, the fact that it can go to 1.4, yeah, that kicks at a wedding reception. This lens will be mine, it's just a matter of how, can I swing picking it up without selling the 24-70???? I'd like to keep that lens like on the shelf because it was my first piece of L glass (and yeah, as a backup just in case anything goes wrong). financially, I may need to just sell it though...we shall see, either way, I am sold, the 24mm kicks major ass!!!!!
I haven't tried the Zeiss 21mm or the TSE, but I think from f/2.8 or f/3.5, they are all equally sharp and all have their own unique look. The 24mm f/1.4 MkII tends to get a hit in reviews, because it isn't as sharp until you stop down to at least f/2, but then the others don't go that wide, which reviewers don't seem to take into consideration.

Upvote 0

Kernuak said:
Chuck Alaimo said:

I haven't tried the Zeiss 21mm or the TSE, but I think from f/2.8 or f/3.5, they are all equally sharp and all have their own unique look. The 24mm f/1.4 MkII tends to get a hit in reviews, because it isn't as sharp until you stop down to at least f/2, but then the others don't go that wide, which reviewers don't seem to take into consideration.

As i am primarily a wedding and portrait shooter...the TSE would be pretty impractical, though it is an amazing lens. and the Zeiss, though it also kicks butt, it lacks AF, and for weddings, low light work I'd prefer AF...I've read the reviews, and same reviews come in for other L primes --- the 50 L most notibly...It's soft at 1.2 and the other lens can beat it at f5.6...lol...the images i have seen from the 24 are outstanding though, and from the 8 days i have had the rental, I am loving it!!!!! Got another senior session tonight and I am pretty damn sure I will be using it alot!!!

Upvote 0
Ideal full body portrait lens!

15995756356_807fe8693d_b.jpg

Upvote 0