Canon EF 28mm F/2.8 IS USM $399 from Adorama !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the 24mm f/2.8 IS and it is a stellar lens. The image rivals my 24mm f/1.4 L II easily and for video on a stabilizer it is second to none for Canon video enabled DSLR bodies. It has relegated the 24 L II to night time time lapse and and low light HDR work.

If I was using full frame mostly, I'd jump on that 28mm IS in a second. The image quality is simply incredible if my experience with the 24mm IS is anything to go by.

Cheers,
Pete

Upvote 0
CANONisOK said:
7enderbender said:
If only it didn't have the silly IS...

I still want a fast, sturdy, high optical quality 28mm lens at some point.

Here you go. Problem solved. ;)

Hahahahaha!!! I've got a good laugh at this one. Anyway, what's so bad in having it? Maybe it could have a lower price or bigger aperture?

Upvote 0
This is what I keep hearing from folks at some of the clubs I visit.

c3hammer said:
I have the 24mm f/2.8 IS and it is a stellar lens. The image rivals my 24mm f/1.4 L II easily and for video on a stabilizer it is second to none for Canon video enabled DSLR bodies. It has relegated the 24 L II to night time time lapse and and low light HDR work.

If I was using full frame mostly, I'd jump on that 28mm IS in a second. The image quality is simply incredible if my experience with the 24mm IS is anything to go by.

Cheers,
Pete

I tried to resist but went ahead & picked one up. Already got confirmation that its packed & ready to ship.

I wasn't going to buy it since I'd rather try out the 24mm is. But after looking up the used prices for this lens, I figured (justified?) that I could play with it for a few months (or a year or so) & then sell it for a small profit.

If there turns out to be a problem with the lens, or the order gets cancelled or something, I'll come back & post. That way everyone that resisted can say thank god, or "Yeah, knew it was too good to be true". Or maybe, "HA! You get what you pay for!!"...

Upvote 0
insanitybeard said:
Pi said:
This made me realize that even $399 was too much for it.

Now, the 35/2 IS for $399 would have been another story...

Why so?

Optically it appears to be a very good lens. If the offer had been in the UK I would have been reaching for my credit card.

+1 I would have jumped at it to!

Upvote 0
insanitybeard said:
Pi said:
This made me realize that even $399 was too much for it.

Now, the 35/2 IS for $399 would have been another story...

Why so?

Too slow for a prime; it seems (because I have not tried it) to lack the clarity of the L primes based on the TDP comparisons. It has IS, indeed, but so does my 24-105 with 1 stop difference. Two stop faster, and I would jump on it.

Upvote 0
Pi said:
Too slow for a prime; it seems (because I have not tried it) to lack the clarity of the L primes based on the TDP comparisons. It has IS, indeed, but so does my 24-105 with 1 stop difference. Two stop faster, and I would jump on it.

I take your point regarding aperture, It would be nice if it was faster than 2.8. Another way of Canon differentiating between L and non L lenses I suppose, the flip side being that the smaller aperture allows the lens to be more compact, one of the reasons I wish to buy one.

Upvote 0
tron said:
CANONisOK said:
7enderbender said:
If only it didn't have the silly IS...

I still want a fast, sturdy, high optical quality 28mm lens at some point.

Here you go. Problem solved. ;)
And a cheaper solution follows: ;D ;D ;D

Funny. Thing is that my "problem" would more be solved by this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/655186-REG/Zeiss_1762_849_28mm_f_2_0_Distagon_T.html

And that I wish Canon had some kind of equivalent for that.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.