Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Still no love for this lens on CR ! I bought this one used a couple of years ago when it failed to sell on e bay, and didn't think that much of it at the time. However its qualities have grown on me, and it is actually a very fine lens with exceptionally good "drawing" for such a wide one with aspherical elements when used at full aperture. This makes it a really good 45mm field of view lens on crop. In fact I'm liking it so much now I have bought its bigger brother the 35mm f/2 IS, which is even better, and doesn't suffer fro the chronic field curvature that the 40mm pancake suffers from, especially at infinity and f/5.6. Ever read a review that refers to the 40's bad FC ? There is only one review on the web that I can find that refers to it.

Not sure I'd have paid the original £800 new asking price, but to be fair it does behave like an £800 lens !

Shot on 5DII @ f/2.8, 1/500th ISO 100..

Attachments

• _MG_3013-1.png
    _MG_3013-1.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 226
Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
Sporgon said:
Still no love for this lens on CR ! I bought this one used a couple of years ago when it failed to sell on e bay, and didn't think that much of it at the time. However its qualities have grown on me, and it is actually a very fine lens with exceptionally good "drawing" for such a wide one with aspherical elements when used at full aperture. This makes it a really good 45mm field of view lens on crop. In fact I'm liking it so much now I have bought its bigger brother the 35mm f/2 IS, which is even better, and doesn't suffer fro the chronic field curvature that the 40mm pancake suffers from, especially at infinity and f/5.6. Ever read a review that refers to the 40's bad FC ? There is only one review on the web that I can find that refers to it.

Not sure I'd have paid the original £800 new asking price, but to be fair it does behave like an £800 lens !

I absolutely agree with you and your love for the 28 f2.8 IS. It's images looks great. I disagree with on one thing though, I don't think the 35 f2 IS is better.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Larsskv said:
Sporgon said:

I absolutely agree with you and your love for the 28 f2.8 IS. It's images looks great. I disagree with on one thing though, I don't think the 35 f2 IS is better.

I think the 35 is better on FF but probably just because I find the focal length much more useable. On crop I could agree with you.

Upvote 0