Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM + 2x Extender (II or III)

mackguyver

Master of Pain
By request, here's a new thread for this combination. All of my shots are with the Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM + 2x Extender III with the 5DIII or 1D X. I haven't had a chance to get much use out of this set, but here are a few samples:

R1-7D

EOS 7D MK II
Jun 25, 2012
Canada
Beautiful images! The 300 with the 2x extender seems to be a great combination. I use the 2x III with my 70-200 and I find that works great in a pinch.

eos650

EOS T7i
Sep 16, 2012
Those look great. I have the 2x II and have tried to use it on my 200mm f2 among other lenses. I find the 2x II about as useful for taking pictures as a hammer:). Looking at your images, however does spark a bit of interest in the 2x III.

My 1.4x II on the other hand get's quite a bit of use.

I do however get a significant amount of CA on my 1.4x II under harsh mid-day lighting conditions and have considered getting a 1.4x III to see if it's any better.

All in good time...

johnf3f

Canon 1Dx
Oct 25, 2012
Wales
Attached is one of the very first shots I took with my 300 F2.8 + Mk3 extender. Note this file is unedited, I have merely JPEGed it and scaled it for web.

Attachments

Steve

EOS RP
Nov 4, 2013
For IQ comparison purposes, here's some shots from my 300 2.8 non-IS with 2x TC mkII

Personally, I don't think the IQ differences are too tremendous but the IS, lighter body, and improved AF of the 300 2.8 IS II probably result in a lot more keepers than I get with this ancient artifact

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
These are beautiful images by all accounts. I do see slight iq degradation, especially in looking at the fine details in the feathers and hairs of the animals, compared with what the 300 2.8 II can do alone. I don't know how much of this is due to downgrading of the image to get posted.

I would be proud to take these pics, don't get me wrong, but I really love when you can see every hair, or very fine feather quill and vein.

sek

AlanF

5DSR
Aug 16, 2012
scottkinfw said:
These are beautiful images by all accounts. I do see slight iq degradation, especially in looking at the fine details in the feathers and hairs of the animals, compared with what the 300 2.8 II can do alone. I don't know how much of this is due to downgrading of the image to get posted.

I would be proud to take these pics, don't get me wrong, but I really love when you can see every hair, or very fine feather quill and vein.

sek
You would lose even more fine details without the 2xTC. You have to get twice as near without the TC to resolve the same level of detail. I like also to capture every detail of feathers, but you have to get close enough to do so, and the 2xTC lets you do it at twice the distance.

LJ3Jim

EOS M50
Jun 29, 2014
New member, first post. I love the 300 II with the 1.4 or 2x extenders. Here are a couple of eagles taken with the 2x iii.

Regards, Jim

Click

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
LJ3Jim said:
New member, first post. I love the 300 II with the 1.4 or 2x extenders. Here are a couple of eagles taken with the 2x iii.
Awesome first post. Welcome to CR Jim. :)

I've only made 3 trips out to the river valley with my Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM as I have only had it for a few weeks, got the 2x Extender 111 along with it.These are my first shots with the combo. Taken with a 1DX.
As an aside, I have a healthy respect for anyone who has mastered BIF with a 600mm focal length, be it with an extender or a bare lens, it was a dismal first attempt for me.
Keeping your quarry in the lens field of view requires a steadier hand and a sharper perspective than I ever would have anticipated. Going to take more than a bit of practice.