Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM + 2x Extender (II or III)

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
J.R. said:
I must say Jack and Alan have been the regular posters for the combination of 300+2xIII here on CR. Inspired, I got the 300mm yesterday. Shooting earlier today from my window with the 300+2xIII, got shots like this -

Must add that Alan played a significant role in my decision to buy it and others on CR were helpful too. Many have claimed it's one of Canon's sharpest lenses. It's biggest plus for me is 600mm that I can still comfortably hike with!

Now I suspect we'll be inundated by 300 X2 shots from JR! ;)

Congratulations.

Jack

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
J.R. said:
I must say Jack and Alan have been the regular posters for the combination of 300+2xIII here on CR. Inspired, I got the 300mm yesterday. Shooting earlier today from my window with the 300+2xIII, got shots like this -

Was that on the 1DX II? I should imagine that the 300x2 and that would be a fantastic combo. Jack must be waiting in anticipation.
Alan

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
AlanF said:
J.R. said:

Was that on the 1DX II? I should imagine that the 300x2 and that would be a fantastic combo. Jack must be waiting in anticipation.
Alan

Hey Alan, I allowed my 1DX II to slip by and got bumped on the pre-order list since I'm just too busy before fall. However, I've ventured out for a wee break a few times this week and have been reminded that there can be AF hunting with the 6D, so for sure I'm chewing at the bit since reports are the 1DX II hardly slows down. Not to mention the AF of the 6D overall is a real hindrance.

It's worse than "anticipation"! :(

Jack

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2013
AlanF said:
J.R. said:

Alan

Hi Alan,

Yes this was on the 1DX II. The autofocus is very fast and spot on even with the 2X ... using the focusing limiter, the AF is almost as fast as with the 100-400 II. Another couple of shots taken in my yard -

Attachments

• A15I9172.jpg
    A15I9172.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 328
  • A15I9243.jpg
    A15I9243.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 323
Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2013
Jack Douglas said:
J.R. said:

Must add that Alan played a significant role in my decision to buy it and others on CR were helpful too. Many have claimed it's one of Canon's sharpest lenses. It's biggest plus for me is 600mm that I can still comfortably hike with!

Congratulations.

Jack

Thanks Jack.

The fact that I can handhold this lens for a considerable periods of time was one very important consideration in my purchase. Additionally, I feel this lens serves three focal lengths of 300mm @ f/2.8, 420mm @ f/4 and 600mm @ f/5.6 with stellar IQ. Each focal length has its own uses and as such, this is a 3 in 1 lens to me.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
J.R., Now if it would just magically zoom from 300 to 600 without gaining weight or price ..... ;) Using just 300 and filling the frame is awe inspiring but that means being pretty close to the subject unfortunately.

Since you've got what I want, the camera and lens combo, it would be very helpful if you could add the core shooting and cropping info once in a while. It's very comforting to hear the 300 X2 is not losing AF speed because with the 1D4 it surely did IF it wasn't just snapping from close to bang on. Lose the bird to the sky and there wasn't a hope of getting it back.

Jack

Upvote 0
J.R. said:
Jack Douglas said:
J.R. said:

Congratulations.

Jack

Thanks Jack.

The fact that I can handhold this lens for a considerable periods of time was one very important consideration in my purchase. Additionally, I feel this lens serves three focal lengths of 300mm @ f/2.8, 420mm @ f/4 and 600mm @ f/5.6 with stellar IQ. Each focal length has its own uses and as such, this is a 3 in 1 lens to me.

Agreed Jack and JR. As I have said on numerous occasions this lens has to be one of the most versatile available. Quality with both 1.4 and 2 x extenders is brilliant.

Upvote 0