Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM + 2x Extender (II or III)

Jack Douglas said:
hbr said:
Love the shot Bryan.
+1 That combo works V well.
Jack

Thanks Click, hbr and Jack.

AF performance is a little spotty with the 2x extender, so not really ideal for BIF, but it's the only way with my current kit to get decent reach. I'd prefer to stick with the 1.4x, but that is seldom long enough.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
bholliman said:
Jack Douglas said:
hbr said:
Love the shot Bryan.
Jack

AF performance is a little spotty with the 2x extender, so not really ideal for BIF, but it's the only way with my current kit to get decent reach. I'd prefer to stick with the 1.4x, but that is seldom long enough.

I was pretty happy with that too but for BIF the 6D was a handicap.

I'm now happy with the 400 DO II and X2 (except for F8) but only know how it reacts with the 1DX2 since it won't focus at all with my 6D. My 300 is not being used presently and I really should sell it. Based on going used 300 prices my cost stepping up is about $1400 (CAD) or $1040 USD which isn't cheap but I really appreciate getting to 800.

Jack

Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
bholliman said:
Jack Douglas said:
hbr said:
Love the shot Bryan.
Jack

I was pretty happy with that too but for BIF the 6D was a handicap.

I'm now happy with the 400 DO II and X2 (except for F8) but only know how it reacts with the 1DX2 since it won't focus at all with my 6D. My 300 is not being used presently and I really should sell it. Based on going used 300 prices my cost stepping up is about $1400 (CAD) or $1040 USD which isn't cheap but I really appreciate getting to 800.

Jack

800mm is really what I usually need for birds, I just can't get very close. Ideally, I would have a 600 II with 1.4x, but not sure one of those in the cards. I am planning (haven't convinced my wife yet, but I'm working on it) to get a 500 II by fall which would get me out to 700 or 1,000 with extenders, but 1000mm at f/8 would probably not AF that well on my body.

Does you 400 DOII with 2x autofocus pretty well? Of course I wouldn't see the same autofocus performance you are getting with my 5DsR.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Bryan, I'm sure Alan F could give the best comment since he has both camera and lens. With the 1DX2 400 is amazing, 560 is great and 800 is very good. I never sense it's hunting unless of course there is simply nothing it's capable of focusing on. However, only the center region of points are cross at 800 so if you use the others it's not as good (but they do work fairly well).

I seriously considered the 500 but cost and weight were not attractive to me. I knew I could lug 300 X2 all day and so the 400 being the same weight and slightly smaller, was my choice. I can't say I wouldn't like 500 but 600 would be a pain for my mobile preference. I rarely use a tripod.

Jack

Upvote 0