Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM

FEBS

Action Photography
CR Pro
Northstar said:
Mack...you wrote "My keeper rate was pretty low with this type of shot"

Like you, my keeper rate with 1dx and 300 2.8 at 2.8 has always been fairly low with this type of shot. (subject coming straight towards me)

I almost always use AF case 1 with 4 surrounding points.

Does anybody have a high keeper rate with this type of shot when shooting at tele range like this and 2.8? Or is it just something you learn to live with?

I don't know what your keeper rate is but I can honestly tell you that my keeper rate is not that low. There are not so many photos I have to reject for this reason. My keeper rate is for sure more then 90%. However I did find out that AF mode 4 is mostly giving me a higher keeper rate then mode 1. This is certainly the case with jumping. I mostly use 1 central point AF with 4 point expansion, the less the faster. Also the central point is always a cross-type AF point. I can't tell you right now if the keeper rate on the 1Dx is better then the 5D3 (I know it should be), but I only have the 1 Dx about 2 months and didn't have the time to make a good comparison, but for sure the AF of the 1Dx behaves almost the same as the 5D3 with the exception of color recognition which is a surplus.

http://francoisloyens.smugmug.com/Sport/Paarden/Cross-Overpelt-2014

Look for the photo here below (FL-20140330-_5D35972-) on page 2, right after that you can find a range of 18 photos and they were all in focus.

FL-20140330-_5D35972-M.jpg

Remark: I just did see that these photos are made with f4.5. That day I really needed to go to mostly f4.5 as otherwise the photo was overexposed. I did see that I also could have increased the shutter speed to 1/4000 instead of 1/1000 to get more or less the same result. My experience with in focus of the 300mm is very good. But it took some time. Yes you MUST afma your lens on your body, and also the combinations of the extenders, to use it on 2.8. I tried several things, but at the end I was only satisfied with the result of Focal software. I like that software very much as it is based on statistics as every movement of the AF system is different due to tolerances

Upvote 0
FEBS, that matches my experience and so far, the only thing I've noticed between the 5DIII and 1D X in terms of AF is the faster acquisition related to the higher voltage battery in the 1D X. Even that isn't huge, but it is noticeable. The AF in low light might be a hair better, too, but that's a subjective observation, mainly with the 85 f/1.2 II.

In terms of AF tracking, I haven't noticed any difference at all, though I haven't challenged it a whole lot, yet. AFMA is definitely critical. When I first got my 300, I took it out for a spin with the lens calibrated, but extenders not. The 1.4x was a bit off, but the 2x back focused a lot. After calibration, the results are excellent, and with the Mk III extenders and Mk II big whites, the AFMA is used for AI Servo as well.

Upvote 0

Menace

New Zealand
Apr 5, 2012
New Zealand
mackguyver said:
It's been a while since anyone's posted to this thread, so here are a couple of recent shots:

Who say's it's not a landscape lens? The humidity dulled these a bit, but they still came out well:
St_Marks_NWR_9616_ID-L.jpg

St_Marks_NWR_10105_ID-L.jpg

Or macro lens (sorry if this a repost):
St_Marks_NWR_5-24-2014_7049_ID-L.jpg

Also, you need to have f/2.8 for this kind of shot - along with a lot of patience to get all three to look at me at the same time:
St_Marks_NWR_9927_ID2-L.jpg

St_Marks_NWR_9888_ID-L.jpg

Lovely series - well done :)

Upvote 0
^^^Thanks, Menace!

Here are some more recent shots from Gatorland in Orlando, FL, USA, which is part zoo, part wild bird rookery:

Great-blue heron and fish:
Gatorland_12-1-2014_14946-XL.jpg

Black-crowned night heron - shot overhead to clear foliage - used LiveView to focus. PITA to get, but I'm pretty happy with the shot:
Gatorland_12-1-2014_14870-XL.jpg

Snowy egret:
Gatorland_12-1-2014_14437-XL.jpg

American flamingo:
Gatorland_12-1-2014_14366-XL.jpg

Sulphur-crested cockatoo (captive):
Gatorland_12-1-2014_14275-XL.jpg

Red-and-green macaw (captive):
Gatorland_12-1-2014_14257-XL.jpg

Upvote 0

DominoDude

Certified photon catcher
Feb 7, 2013
::1
mackguyver said:
FEBS said:
Nice colors. You were spot on time.
Thanks, FEBS. I find it much easier to get up for blue hour this time of year...and sometimes it pays off with some nice colors in the sky.

First: I agree wholeheartedly on the correct timing and colours in this photo. Always inspiring to see.

Secondly: "Blue hour"? Is there any hour at this time of the year that isn't blue?? At best they seem to be grey... It's almost like if I take too long eating breakfast in the morning, I might miss the evenings sunset. :(
But 10 more days, then it will sloooowly become better again. Til' then we'll have to watch superb shots from those of you that make it out to spot any rays of the sun.

Upvote 0
DominoDude said:
mackguyver said:
FEBS said:
Nice colors. You were spot on time.
Thanks, FEBS. I find it much easier to get up for blue hour this time of year...and sometimes it pays off with some nice colors in the sky.

First: I agree wholeheartedly on the correct timing and colours in this photo. Always inspiring to see.

Secondly: "Blue hour"? Is there any hour at this time of the year that isn't blue?? At best they seem to be grey... It's almost like if I take too long eating breakfast in the morning, I might miss the evenings sunset. :(
But 10 more days, then it will sloooowly become better again. Til' then we'll have to watch superb shots from those of you that make it out to spot any rays of the sun.
Too funny and nearly true! I'm relatively near the equator so the day length doesn't change a whole lot, but throw in Daylight Savings and I get all messed up! It also seems like good light lasts about 30 minutes this time of year...

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
To my surprise my 7D hasn`t stopped working after 7D Mark II came out so here they`re, a few shots taken today.
Unfortunately I was too close to the Blue Jay and I didn`t have time to compose properly, being taken by surprise. This is why I cut its tail, the photo is not cropped at all:)

Thanks,

Nelu

Attachments

• _MG_7852.jpg
    _MG_7852.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 294
  • _MG_7737.jpg
    _MG_7737.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 302
  • _MG_7826.jpg
    _MG_7826.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 276
Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
Nelu said:
To my surprise my 7D hasn`t stopped working after 7D Mark II came out so here they`re, a few shots taken today.
Unfortunately I was too close to the Blue Jay and I didn`t have time to compose properly, being taken by surprise. This is why I cut its tail, the photo is not cropped at all:)

Thanks,

Nelu

Very nice series of photos Nelu.

Upvote 0
Haven't posted in a little while. We all know this lens is razor sharp, so added a Canon Mk 111 2 x extender on a common squirrel that visits our garden. The performance is truly exceptional and must be the best value prime 600mm set up you can get.

Attachments

• SQ2.jpg
    SQ2.jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 325
  • SQ3.jpg
    SQ3.jpg
    580 KB · Views: 346
Upvote 0