Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
mrsfotografie said:
Is it just me or do the images from this lens seem to have more 'pop' than those of the 100-400? With the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, 1.4TC II and 100-400L in my collection I wonder if there is any benefit in getting this 300 mm as well???
+1 ... I was just thinking the same thing.

Upvote 0
Rienzphotoz said:
mrsfotografie said:
Is it just me or do the images from this lens seem to have more 'pop' than those of the 100-400? With the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, 1.4TC II and 100-400L in my collection I wonder if there is any benefit in getting this 300 mm as well???
+1 ... I was just thinking the same thing.

Lenses have character. The 70-200 + 1.4 is just not the same. The 300mm f4 just has a certain quality beyond sharpness. Probably because it's a prime.

Upvote 0
Blue pin cushion. Up close with the 300mm, the beaut short DOF adds a nice dreaminess to the image.

378A1423_Blue_pin_cushion.jpg

Upvote 0
Tyroop said:
I had a nightmare with this lens. In theory the 300mm f/4.0L and 1.4x converter combination should have been better than a 400mm f/5.6L.

300/4.0 + 420/5.6 + IS vs 400/5.6 No IS

In practice it didn't work like that at all. I managed to get a few decent shots out of the 300 f/4.0L, but the vast majority were completely unusable. I took it to Canon's service facility in Singapore for checking and calibration, but it was still no better.

The first generation IS is clunky and not very effective. My other IS lenses feel as if a giant pair of hands has grabbed the lens and is holding it still. The 300 f/4L IS helps a little, but not very much.

I sold it and bought the 400 f/5.6L. This lens has been stellar with far superior image quality and consistency. I don't miss IS all that much, but an update with the latest IS would be very welcome.

I can't really understand all the written praise in this thread. Most of the sample images have been downsized so much that there is no detail visible, or horribly over-sharpened in PP. The squirrel shot wasn't bad.

Perhaps I had a particularly bad copy, but after my experience I could never recommend this lens. YMMV. This is just about my own personal experience.

http://phil.uk.net/photography/canon_300F4LIS.html

Unfortunate experience, but glad the 400 is working for you. My 300mm f4 IS has been great. I also like it with the 1.4X converter. My first was a canon VI but I traded up to a VIII and saw an improvement.
Here is a FLIKR Group I made for this combo: https://www.flickr.com/groups/2164037@N20/

Untitled by RexPhoto91, on Flickr

Upvote 0

cellomaster27

Capture the moment!
Jun 3, 2013
San Jose - CA
This is my very first L lens and it's absolutely wonderful. I did find it to front focus just enough that I have to be very careful.. such as moving subjects away from the camera. That'll have to wait until I get a camera with AFMA.

By the way, anyone know how much it would cost to replace the front element? Bought mine used for a decent price. It has hair width scratches. Can't tell in images so no problem.

Attachments

• IMG_0870.jpg
    IMG_0870.jpg
    524.8 KB · Views: 417
  • IMG_0852.jpg
    IMG_0852.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 400
  • IMG_0837.jpg
    IMG_0837.jpg
    923.3 KB · Views: 411
  • IMG_0832.jpg
    IMG_0832.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 406
  • IMG_0742.jpg
    IMG_0742.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 437
Upvote 0
pulseimages said:
Would the 300 f/4L IS + TC 1.4 be good for photographing drag racing or perhaps would the 400 f/5.6L be better?

In my Opinion the 400 5.6l is better.
The tele converter slows down my little 300 4l IS quite a bit.
And with drag racing you can use every speed you can get.

The missing IS on the 400mm is not an issue because you are shooting 500/sec anyway.

Upvote 0
cellomaster27 said:
By the way, anyone know how much it would cost to replace the front element? Bought mine used for a decent price. It has hair width scratches. Can't tell in images so no problem.

It's not worth the lens anymore. If you want a clean front element, buy another one. ;)
No, serious. I also have scratches and i also do not have problems, because the front lens is not the "picture making" element.
Myself I learned to live with it, ignore it and still love my lens.

Upvote 0
Taken just this past weekend.

Question for everyone though (I don't know anyone personally that owns this lens). I bought mine used and it makes a LOT of IS noise and also seems to "clunk" a lot. From what I have gathered that is fairly normal for this lens due to its overall age. It just seems like mine makes a lot though. Does anyone have any examples of how loud it is?

Attachments

• 2W0A2106.jpg
    2W0A2106.jpg
    380.6 KB · Views: 283
Upvote 0
EvvPhotog said:

Question for everyone though (I don't know anyone personally that owns this lens). I bought mine used and it makes a LOT of IS noise and also seems to "clunk" a lot. From what I have gathered that is fairly normal for this lens due to its overall age. It just seems like mine makes a lot though. Does anyone have any examples of how loud it is?

I just had a new 100-400 5.6Lii in my hands - no IS sound what so ever.
I own a 300mm 4L IS and i had a conversation with a canon store owner its quite normal.
Reason is: Lens is very old. The IS parts did wear a lot and also the IS technology was a new thing those days. It's much more improved now.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
EvvPhotog said:

The IS on the 300 f/4is was noisy and clunky right from new. It's a little alarming to the uninitiated, but is perfectly normal for this lens. I had one for years till I replaced it with a 300 f/2.8is. Honestly, I wish I'd kept it. There's room for both lenses in my opinion. The f/4 is so light in the bag, is sharp wide open and focuses extremely close. For the money, it has always represented remarkable value. One of Canon's true sleepers...

-pw

Upvote 0