Canon EF 35mm f/2

bchernicoff said:
This is my most recent shot with the Sigma. There are others posted in that that thread, though not anything I would rave about.

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=11210.msg253982#msg253982

Great sharpness (that is clearly NOT the problem with the lens), but still, there is nothing particularly compelling about the ooF area. It seems to lack the softness (and soft transition) that produces nice delineation between subject and background. I don't know that the new 35mm f/2 IS is any better; there are so few images from it floating around yet.

Upvote 0
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
Great sharpness (that is clearly NOT the problem with the lens), but still, there is nothing particularly compelling about the ooF area. It seems to lack the softness (and soft transition) that produces nice delineation between subject and background. I don't know that the new 35mm f/2 IS is any better; there are so few images from it floating around yet.

I don't think you can judge the transition areas from that shot...too much has been done to the contrast. Everything is harsher in that picture. I can post some of my better shots tonight. Though there are a few shots in this post that are unedited: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=11210.msg203012#msg203012

Upvote 0
Sporgon said:
I know there was a thread on images from this humble little lens in 2011, but it appears to have been held in such contempt there were zero replies !!

With all the excitement around the arrival of the new 35 f2 IS and the Sigma f1.4, how about posting your best shots taken with the old 35 f2 ?

Well, as I'm considering getting one of these again (I may have had a dud before), I recently started a thread on this lens here: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=13894

Thanks for the samples in this topic, I've been teetering on the edge of getting a new copy, and now I'm really compelled to do so.

It's clear that the bokeh, when stopped down, is not all that smooth, and the corners are not that sharp at wider apertures but then again the small size and weight means this lens promises pictures that cannot be taken otherwise :)

Upvote 0
OKO-SAN said:
To Dustin Abbott "I've had a real soft spot for this lens" .What is the speed of the autofocus 35 \ 2 over 40 \ 2.8. With ergonomics and IQ no questions. Interested in working on the aperture of the lenses (do not throw stones at me, the depth of field and commercial) 5.6-8.0. Die-English Google. I hope semantic clarity. :)

In my experience, the 40mm and the 35mm f/2 focus at about the same speed - the 40mm is quieter, however. Other than being buzzy, the 35mm focuses fine and reasonably fast. At 5.6-8 I found the lens to be very, very sharp. The shot I am attaching here was shot at f/8. I have attached a pretty good size image (2000px) so that you can look at it closely. Even the corners look very good at that aperture.

Attachments

• 012 Mont Tremblant-1.jpg
    012 Mont Tremblant-1.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1,006
Upvote 0
O

OKO-SAN

OKO-SAN said:
To Dustin Abbott "I've had a real soft spot for this lens" .What is the speed of the autofocus 35 \ 2 over 40 \ 2.8. With ergonomics and IQ no questions. Interested in working on the aperture of the lenses (do not throw stones at me, the depth of field and commercial) 5.6-8.0. Die-English Google. I hope semantic clarity. :)

In my experience, the 40mm and the 35mm f/2 focus at about the same speed - the 40mm is quieter, however. Other than being buzzy, the 35mm focuses fine and reasonably fast. At 5.6-8 I found the lens to be very, very sharp. The shot I am attaching here was shot at f/8. I have attached a pretty good size image (2000px) so that you can look at it closely. Even the corners look very good at that aperture.
Interesting combination of warm sun and a stormy sky. Will summer shower? Depth of field satisfies me completely. 35/2 or 40/2.8 I need in the interior document the events. 35 is wider, but I'm afraid of wide distortions, rather put off by some of these distortions can be longish subjekt.40 for cramped interiors is long sometime. The pain! And the old 35 in landscape Tremblant worked mood colors and details ... Used indoors zoom...

Upvote 0
mrsfotografie said:
Thanks for the samples in this topic, I've been teetering on the edge of getting a new copy, and now I'm really compelled to do so.

Teetering done, lens ordered! Yee-ha! 8)

Attachments

• EF_35mm_f2_Default_tcm13-951660.jpg
    EF_35mm_f2_Default_tcm13-951660.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 1,014
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
mrsfotografie said:
mrsfotografie said:

I think you'll be pleased with it's performance, optically it is good; just doesn't have a 'snob' value.

Below is our latest picture shot on the 35mm f2 and below that a comparison we shot on the 35mm L f1.4 of the chapel at Marlborough College ( where the Duchess of Cambridge - nee Kate Middleton - was at school).

At f8 to 11 there is no difference.

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    1,017.8 KB · Views: 815
  • Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    972.8 KB · Views: 867
Upvote 0
Jul 14, 2012
P.S. - One final note on this lens. I am strongly considering getting the new Sigma, but the one thing that holds me back is the size. I loved the compact size on the 35mm f/2. The Sigma will be as big as my Tamron 24-70VC, a lens that is far more versatile. That is the primary reason I haven't gotten one yet. I may also consider the Canon 35mm f/2 IS, but I think it needs to drop in price by a few hundred dollars before I would strongly consider it.

As you've already been told, the Sigma 35mm is quite a bit smaller than the Tamron zoom, though it's bigger than the new Canon. A few weeks ago I rented the Sigma and the Canon IS simultaneously and was impressed by both of them. There is one area where the Sigma strikes me as being unquestionably superior to it rivals, including the Canon IS (though it's an area that may not matter much to most people), namely coma. If you take photos at night or otherwise in low light and there are small points of light off to the sides and in corners, you will find that they retain their shape better at wide apertures on the Sigma than they do via just about any other fast prime (check out pertinent lenstip reviews for examples). If you don't, it may be a pointless extravagance; it's hard to see why the examples taken with the old 35mm f/2 posted by you and others in this thread need any improvement....

Upvote 0
Sporgon said:
mrsfotografie said:
mrsfotografie said:

I think you'll be pleased with it's performance, optically it is good; just doesn't have a 'snob' value.

Below is our latest picture shot on the 35mm f2 and below that a comparison we shot on the 35mm L f1.4 of the chapel at Marlborough College ( where the Duchess of Cambridge - nee Kate Middleton - was at school).

At f8 to 11 there is no difference.

It is a great little lens :) To be honest I expect to use it most at about f/2.8 to f/5.6 and not to stop it down all that much beyond about f/9. Its main uses will be travel, street, low light and as a contingency lens that can always find a place in my bag (like the 50 mm f/1.8 Mk I). Yes, (small) size does matter!!!

Upvote 0
wickidwombat said:
hey dustin I really like your post processing I'd be very keen to see a tutorial on the details of how you do it
i'd even buy one.

have you seen trey ratcliffs flatbooks.com site where different photographers sell ebooks for 10 bucks or so? I think you could make some good money if you did one
http://www.flatbooks.com/

Thanks for the shout out. It is something that I have considered doing, as I am an author already (although my writing is theological in nature).

Upvote 0