Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM "Pancake"

First Ring shot with the 40mm Pancake with 12mm Tube. Its not perfect and i plan to use live view for better macro accuracy but its nice.
I did a little processing to the dress and flower shot too so maybe you like it maybe you don't but the 40 did a nice job @ F2.8.
8222226830_a5f8201149_b.jpg

8221152303_53228490a4_b.jpg

Upvote 0
All this wonderful shots have convinced me to make this little economical guy my next lens purchase... for around $150 bucks it looks like a great value.

Has anyone here found the need for the hood? it seems kind of useless... is there a hood from another lens that might work/function here?

And how about a carrying/protective case? Do most of you just stick this in your bag, or is there a need for some kind of pearstone/case etc?

thanks!!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Scarpz13 said:
Has anyone here found the need for the hood? it seems kind of useless... is there a hood from another lens that might work/function here?

And how about a carrying/protective case? Do most of you just stick this in your bag, or is there a need for some kind of pearstone/case etc?

No point in the hood, at all. I worked out the geometry some time back, and the dedicated hood for the 40/2.8 doesn't actually provide any optical benefit, from what I can tell. It's too shallow to protect even a 14mm prime from flare. Since it screws onto the extending front element, 'protection' is questionable, too.

The ES-62 hood (for the 50/1.8) with it's 52mm threaded adapter will fit on the 40/2.8. It's much deeper, and reportedly doesn't vignette, but would likely provide some flare protection.

The 40/2.8 fits nicely in a Lowepro 8x6 case, but I just put it in my bag or more often, my pocket.

Upvote 0
Scarpz13 said:

thanks!!

I got a cheapie Matin neoprene case off Ebay that is nice for it because it will clip onto my belt or harness if I want to take it along in the field. It also provides some decent protection and cost me under $5 shipped.

Upvote 0

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
Bosman said:
First Ring shot with the 40mm Pancake with 12mm Tube. Its not perfect and i plan to use live view for better macro accuracy but its nice.
I did a little processing to the dress and flower shot too so maybe you like it maybe you don't but the 40 did a nice job @ F2.8.
I like the concept of the rings shot. Very elegant. I have a question. Three people got married? ;)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
rpt said:
I like the concept of the rings shot. Very elegant. I have a question. Three people got married? ;)

Been married? ;)

Common custom is an engagement ring for the bride (the one with the larger gemstone), then wedding rings for both. At least, that's how my wife and I did it, 20 years ago next June - doesn't look like things have changed much. :p

Upvote 0
sandymandy said:
wellfedCanuck said:
I'm planning on purchasing the 6D, so this will provide (I hope) a huge improvement.

Dou mind gifting me your old XT so i can gift it to my fiance`?
Sandy, why are you so pathetic? Is your whole point of being on CR to beg for gearheads to give you their old stuff? Does this work for you? Has anyone given you anything? Every time I see your name on this forum you are groveling for a stranger to give you hundreds, if not thousands of dollars of gear(check signature.) Is CR your night job after begging on the streets all day for change? I'm sorry for the rant, but it's been lame, and at this point you're basically just a parasite.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Scarpz13 said:

No point in the hood, at all. I worked out the geometry some time back, and the dedicated hood for the 40/2.8 doesn't actually provide any optical benefit, from what I can tell. It's too shallow to protect even a 14mm prime from flare. Since it screws onto the extending front element, 'protection' is questionable, too.

The ES-62 hood (for the 50/1.8) with it's 52mm threaded adapter will fit on the 40/2.8. It's much deeper, and reportedly doesn't vignette, but would likely provide some flare protection.

The 40/2.8 fits nicely in a Lowepro 8x6 case, but I just put it in my bag or more often, my pocket.

Thx for the advice, as always, Neuro.
I ordered my shorty 40 with ES-62 hood; skipped the case for now.

Appreciate it!

Upvote 0
I picked up the 40mm the last day it was $150 at Best Buy, figuring that I could always return it if I found no use for it. I only finally got around to using it a few days ago, the return period already behind me. Fortunately, I'm thrilled with it:

1/4000s | f/9 | ISO400 | 40mm

1/125s | f11 | ISO500 | 40mm

My shoulder bag gets pretty hefty with the 70-200 f4L, 100mm f2.8L, and 24-105mm. The 40mm just replaced the 24-105mm, and I stitched panoramas out of 40mm shots when I wanted really wide shots (having moved to full frame really makes this more viable):

1/40s | f2.8 | ISO800 | 40mm (six or seven shots merged)

I'm thinking that's a lot of performance for $150 and 4.6oz...

Upvote 0
Just seen this.... may help?

Unless you very recently purchased your Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens, the answer to this question is probably "Yes". But, Canon Japan has published a serial number key to reliably determine that your EF 40m STM Lens needs the v1.2.0 Firmware Update.

If the third digit in the serial number is a 0, 1 or 2, the firmware update is needed:

xx0xxxxxxx, xx1xxxxxxx, xx2xxxxxxx

Otherwise, firmware version 1.2.0 or later has already been installed in the lens.

Upvote 0