Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM "Pancake"

Re: 40 Shorty Test Shots

By not having the wide aperture, it must make designing the lens easier and less complicated. From the size of it, it can't have much glass, so sharpness is easier to achieve. Wide aperture lenses are more prone to flare, even stopped down, so in some ways it makes sense. So less design compromises, even though use may be compromised in terms of narrow depth of field. I haven't seen the design, but I wouldn't mind betting it's similar to some of the classic designs of the 60's by the likes of Zeiss and Contax.

Upvote 0

What's neat is that the voigtlander 40mm has a great reputation but is MF only. This trumps it based on shots I've seen and AF. They have a winner here. If it was a f/2.0 perhaps the bokeh, sharpness, and contrast would have been different--- and the price would've gone up considerably.

I have the delicious 35L so not too interested in this one. But obviously for the price, a good lens addition to Canon

Upvote 0

Candyman - good question, one that I am able to answer from experience ! I had the 35 f2 also, used it on a 7D and a 5D, I found it a little unpredictable and unreliable ( and I reckon it back-focused a lot too). The 35 f2 is old technology, this 40mm is far, FAR better in terms of output IQ and performance in general. I don't regret getting rid of the 35mm one bit.
Rhys.

Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com

rhysb123 said:
Candyman - good question, one that I am able to answer from experience ! I had the 35 f2 also, used it on a 7D and a 5D, I found it a little unpredictable and unreliable ( and I reckon it back-focused a lot too). The 35 f2 is old technology, this 40mm is far, FAR better in terms of output IQ and performance in general. I don't regret getting rid of the 35mm one bit.
Rhys.

Thanks Rhys. I was leaning towards replacing the lens because of what you mentioned as your findings. So I think I will go for it. Just hope to get a decent price for my 35mm f/2 (bought 6 months ago for 249 euro)

Upvote 0
A

aires

Some testshots comparing the Shorty Fourty to the 50 1.4 and voigtlander 40 2.0:

Canon 40mm:

Voigtlander 40mm:

Canon 50mm 1.4 (stapje te ver terug gedaan):

Canon 40mm:

Voigtlander 40mm:

Canon 50mm 1.4:

And a comparison with the 35L:

40 2.8:

35L:

40 2.8:

35L:

I'm really impressed how much the Shorty 40 images look like the 35L's.

Upvote 0
C

crasher8

candyman said:
rhysb123 said:
Rhys.

Thanks Rhys. I was leaning towards replacing the lens because of what you mentioned as your findings. So I think I will go for it. Just hope to get a decent price for my 35mm f/2 (bought 6 months ago for 249 euro)

I just sold my 35 f/2 to fund my 40 pancake. I'll let you know how I like one over the other on both film and the 7D

Upvote 0

5pacedog

7456958984_da20f52349_c.jpg

Selfportrait handheld, natural light through window behind me.
Iso 400, f2.8

I like the pancake!!! :)

Upvote 0

5pacedog said:
Selfportrait handheld, natural light through window behind me.
Iso 400, f2.8

I like the pancake!!! :)

Not sure what that looks like pre-sharpening and 100% crop, but looks to be nice sharpness wide-open. It is fantastic that this lens has such a short minimum focus distance to allow for you to get shots you often can't without a tripod, like self portraits.

Upvote 0

GDub

I R Photographer
Oct 5, 2011
Montréal, Québec
mediarare.com

Got my "Shorty Forty" yesterday and took some "test" shots. Here's one:

reddahlia_blog.jpg

I did some very slight processing of the RAW file in Lightroom 4.1--boosted the blacks and contrast a tad.

The Shorty Forty is a keeper.

Stuff: Canon 5D Mark III w/Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM. 1/80 second at f/2.8, ISO 160.

Upvote 0