Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM "Pancake"

Re: 40 Shorty Test Shots

briansquibb said:
Seems we have two camps forming here. Those that have it and love it, and those that haven't got and can see nothing but problems even though the reviews praise it for the low price and high IQ
I'm a non-conformist :p. I don't have it but am intrigued, as it would be handy for my usual use of that range, landscapes, but it would probably be an addition to, rather than a replacement for the 50 f/1.4, as the wide aperture may come in handy one day. Mind you, I've never managed to get results I'm happy with when I open it up. AF is unreliable and manual focus through the viewfinder with such narrow depth of field is awkward. Strangely, I cope alright with the 135 f/2 though with manual focus.

Upvote 0

Processing etc.:

• EOS 40D
  • Cloudy weather with moderate contrasty light, rain.
  • f/4.0
  • ISO 100
  • Color setting: Neutral
  • WB: Sunlight
  • RAW converted via DPP with following settings:
  • Sharpness (in RAW): 3
  • NO (!) noise filtering
  • The rest: no modification
  • JPEG quality: 3 (out of 10)

Opinion:

This lens is a great little companion: Very contrasty, great color reproduction, good sharpness, fits easily under a jacket and can be used under an umbrella with ease (single handed, no protruding elements collecting water).
About focusing noise: Slow focusing speed is nearly inaudible, faster focusing actions (searching focus between infinity and minimum focusing dist) makes the noise well known of stepper motors in printers. Focusing in video will be inaudible if it is done at slower speeds - cannot check it ... 40D (still waiting for an APS-C mirrorless from Canon accepting EF & EF-S lenses, FF also accepted:) ).

Attachments

• shorty_forty_example_bockhorst_40d2_021815_q3-2.jpg
    shorty_forty_example_bockhorst_40d2_021815_q3-2.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 2,026
Upvote 0

briansquibb said:
Seems we have two camps forming here. Those that have it and love it, and those that haven't got and can see nothing but problems even though the reviews praise it for the low price and high IQ

And a third camp for those who have it and appreciate the size and optical quality, but are dissatisfied with the AF and the quirky manual focusing. :)

Upvote 0
C

crasher8

In the 4 days I have had it I have already used it more than I had my 50 1.4 in the past 6 months. The FL just works for me. Now, it won't replace my 24-70 in any area other than weight but while at a child's birthday party yesterday it turned my 7D into the size of a rangefinder and made it quite handy for having it on me while juggling kids, cake, mimosa's etc and I had no dslr concerns such as I might when toting an L lens around.

Upvote 0
J

Jarques

New here, loving this lens:

4.jpg

4.jpg

7474939246_40d0c3be05_z.jpg

7474940024_dcb3522cd9_z.jpg

Wrote a quick review here: http://jarqu.es/b/canon-40mm-stm/

Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2012

Jarques said:
New here, loving this lens:

4.jpg

4.jpg

7474939246_40d0c3be05_z.jpg

7474940024_dcb3522cd9_z.jpg

Wrote a quick review here: http://jarqu.es/b/canon-40mm-stm/

Those are some nice photo's you got from the 40. I'm sure the 40 wide open (2.8) is sharper than 50 1.8 wide open (1.8), but is 50 sharper at 2.8? I also feel exactly the same as you wrote:

"The 40mm is comparable to the 50mm 1.8 in terms of smooth bokeh, but with the 50mm 1.8 you gain a shallower depth of field which makes me wish that Canon gave this little 40mm an f-stop of 2 or even a 1.8."

Upvote 0
J

Jarques

drjlo said:
Those are some nice photo's you got from the 40. I'm sure the 40 wide open (2.8) is sharper than 50 1.8 wide open (1.8), but is 50 sharper at 2.8? I also feel exactly the same as you wrote:

"The 40mm is comparable to the 50mm 1.8 in terms of smooth bokeh, but with the 50mm 1.8 you gain a shallower depth of field which makes me wish that Canon gave this little 40mm an f-stop of 2 or even a 1.8."
Thank you!

That is a good question about sharpness with both at 2.8. I have some testing out to do tonight!

Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2012
Canada

Jarques said:
drjlo said:

Thank you!

That is a good question about sharpness with both at 2.8. I have some testing out to do tonight!

Please report back as soon as you can. I just ordered a refurbished 50, but I might send it back and get a 40 instead.

Upvote 0
J

Jarques

R1-7D said:
Jarques said:
drjlo said:

Thank you!

Please report back as soon as you can. I just ordered a refurbished 50, but I might send it back and get a 40 instead.
What camera do you have? How much did you spend on the 50?

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2011

It ended up being pretty cheap in Sweden compared to the rest of europe (from what it seems, at least compared to the eurozone and britain), just the normal dollar price times 10 that we're used to, which means I paid 2000 SEK (which is around $290) for this brilliant little beaut. It is quite comparable to my voigtländer ultron 40/2, with the added AF that is sometimes a neat thing to have (I feel MF works on the EF, but it can't beat the near-perfection of the focusing on the ultron).

Right, lens gallery...

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011

I wasn't really crazy about this lens at first....until I tried one at the store about a week ago. Took some test shots and scrutinized them upon arriving back home. I especially loved its small size. I had to pick one up immediately (well, ordered it so I can avoid paying tax ;) ) Should be here later this week.

A great little lens that allows you to be inconspicuous and avoid attracting the attention that a bigger lens often gets....without sacrificing quality. Obviously it doesn't quite hold up to my 35L in terms of performance, speed or sharpness but can't expect it to for only $200. But you get maybe 75-80% of its performance from 2.8 onward in a package 1/3 of the size.

Upvote 0
J

Jarques

briansquibb said:
Jarques said:
R1-7D said:
I have a 5D2 and 7D. I spent about $100 including shipping.
Personally, don't change your order. The 50mm 1.8 is a great little lens and an awesome addition to your lens collection.

50 f/1.8 - shame about the nasty bokeh though - just look at those round christmas lights
It's a cheap lens, but once the bokeh is tamed it's a great lens for the money.

7412328988_a74caaf4f3_z.jpg

Upvote 0