Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM "Pancake"

Re: 40 Shorty Test Shots

I rented it over the weekend and loved the portability. I never took it off center focus (with 5DmkII or 5Dc), but everything was plenty sharp, and the colors were great. It's true there is some considerable vignetting wide open, but not unattractive or unfixable. I did notice darker exposures than I'm used to, but just increased the compensation. I was really impressed that the lens produced no lens flare, even shooting into the sun basically. Here are some random samples (from my sister's wedding rehearsal) all at f2.8 with zero editing. I'll be buying this lens soon.

Attachments

• IMG_4619_p.jpg
    IMG_4619_p.jpg
    482.3 KB · Views: 2,310
  • IMG_4444_p.jpg
    IMG_4444_p.jpg
    446.8 KB · Views: 2,256
  • IMG_4484_p.jpg
    IMG_4484_p.jpg
    425.7 KB · Views: 2,240
  • IMG_4485_p.jpg
    IMG_4485_p.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 2,242
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011

My 40mm pancake came today. I did not AFMA it yet, it seems pretty good as-is on my 1D MK IV.

I snapped a few quick photos, I might find time to do a AFMA in a day or three. I mostly tersted to see how it was close focusing on some flowers in my yard. None of the images were cropped.

My Front view
EMW12467-M.jpg

EMW12478-L.jpg

EMW12479-L.jpg

EMW12475-L.jpg

Upvote 0

DJL329

EOS R5
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2010
www.flickr.com

Mt Spokane Photography said:
My 40mm pancake came today. I did not AFMA it yet, it seems pretty good as-is on my 1D MK IV.

I snapped a few quick photos, I might find time to do a AFMA in a day or three. I mostly tersted to see how it was close focusing on some flowers in my yard. None of the images were cropped.

EMW12475-L.jpg

Very nice! I like the bokeh.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
Re: EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Pancake Gallery

would you bother with this if you were going to get a 35 f1.4L anyway?
or does anyone have both?

I now have both lenses. Obviously the 35L is the better of the two in every aspect except for one, and this can matter sometimes: size. I've even had one person mistake the 35 + hood for a telephoto lens until I told her to come and look through the viewfinder.

Obviously no one would be mistaking the 40 for a telephoto ;D I can also see it being a nice second lens to bring on a vacation, or a lens to use at venues where bigger lenses may be restricted or banned. Of course, "bigger" being relative as most people just look at the size of the lens, not the focal length

Upvote 0

bp

Jun 1, 2011

I have both.

The shorty was honestly almost a novelty purchase. Wasn't expecting much. Bought it hoping the wife might like it enough to use it as her walkaround lens (and be more willing to toss her Rebel in her purse when she's taking the kids out). But she thinks it's too tight, and I'm really impressed by it's IQ. So now I'm using it more than she is. With the 35L in the mix, this lens' only real draw is it's size/weight

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

I also now have both, and agree with the above. I've done several outings with the body + 70-200/2.8 IS II in a Lowepro Toploader Pro 75 AW and the 35L strapped to the side in a Lens Case 1W. The new pancake will fit in the outer pocket of the toploader, a more convenient package. Plus, unlike the 35L, it can go in a pocket for walking around, and I can switch lenses, leaving the 70-200 II hanging from the BR strap and holding the camera by the 40/2.8 by the E1 handstrap.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011

I don't think their uses overlap too much though. The 35 still is two stops faster and is sharper at 2.8 (less purple fringing too). For shooting in dark places (especially without flash), there really is no other option in my lens kit. Whereas the 40's biggest strength is its small size, meaning my 60D suddenly becomes a lot lighter and more portable (not pocket-size by any means, though), and this would enable me to bring a DSLR to places I wouldn't normally do so. Nice to still get high quality pictures out of such a lightweight package.

Actually, on that note I had to go through 2 copies of the 40 to find a good one- the first one I had backfocused HORRIBLY and is now being sent back. The second one is better, but seems the STM is not as reliable as USM when it comes to accuracy and speed.

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist said:
I also now have both, and agree with the above. I've done several outings with the body + 70-200/2.8 IS II in a Lowepro Toploader Pro 75 AW and the 35L strapped to the side in a Lens Case 1W. The new pancake will fit in the outer pocket of the toploader, a more convenient package. Plus, unlike the 35L, it can go in a pocket for walking around, and I can switch lenses, leaving the 70-200 II hanging from the BR strap and holding the camera by the 40/2.8 by the E1 handstrap.

what is your impression of the 40 vs the 35L? I want both
I'm pretty sure i can do most stuff i want between the 35 and 85 i also have the 20mm voigtlander pancake if i want wide (pretty awesome little lens too)

Upvote 0