Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM

Re: Canon 50mm 1.4

Right I would say this shot isn't showing off any real capabilities of the lens, Surely this should be posted under lighting examples?
First thing I pick up on is that the model is far too close to the background ( that shadow is plain wrong unless you are going for a fashiony ring flash look) , and the lighting is positioned badly. is this using on camera flash ? Generally for corporate portraits you'd use more Rembrant (45-60 deg) with a big softbox or even & softer more natural lighting that might consist of a soft fill just off and above one side then maybe an umbrella giving a slight cripsness and shaping from the other side. Also the background should be far enough away to be lit with another possibly gridded or softboxed head.
Is this one of your first attempts at this type of work ? One thing you have done well is making your subject look bright , happy and at ease which is for some the most difficult part of professional people photography.

What you should do is read up on corporate styles of lighting and techniques and google for the best corporate photographers and really study what they are doing with lighting, posing backgrounds and props.
Now this isn't a really bad job but is quite basic and there's many elements that need to be thought about. This could be 10x better with a little more planning and experience in lighting .

Keep on working! :)

Upvote 0

I completely agree with klickflip. This shot looks very flat due to bad lightning. Also, eyes are red! In good shot eyes have to have 'blicks'.

I also have Canon 50 mm 1.4 lens these lenses are really good. However, when you use aperture of 10 and more you are not applying these lenses for which they are designed (bokeh, shooting in dark light, etc.).

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2012

Be constructive guys... His post is very simple and does not suggest this is a master shot. Just that he made one.

I like the crispness of the shot but I agree that the subject looks plastered to the background...no 3D effect that is so easy with this focal length. Also, in corporate portraits you generally don't want to emphasize cleavage or the farmers tan.

Beyond that, perhaps the OP can share a bit about the lighting and its placement with regard to the subject.

Upvote 0
Re: Canon EF50mm f/1.4 USM

From the 5D3 and the 50 f1.4
p1529561196-5.jpg

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Re: Canon EF50mm f/1.4 USM

Kernuak said:
It looks like I had trouble reading on two days :eek:.

It's been a while since I used this lens, but it had almost exclusive use the weekend before last. I've since reprocessed the first one to tone down the pink reflections in the model's face.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7419
[/quote]

I think the portrait of this first model that you showed in the '5D mkiii' gallery was really first rate. This one here I think would have been more flattering with a longer lens

Upvote 0