Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM

As much as this looks like it will be a nice improvement to my current plastic fantastic, it will have to be 7 bladed aperture and not more than $150 for me to consider it worth the upgrade. I think the 40mm pancake started at $199 but dropped to $149 later, I imagine this will be the same. Hopefully they are quick to release the mid-range IS version.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
aussielearner said:
I can't understand how this lens can't have IS and still not be cheap.
I picked up a 55-250 STM here in Australia brand new for AUD$179.

Surely Canon could make a 50mm f1.8 with IS and still keep it under AUD$200.
Your lens is f/4.5-5.6. Image stabilization gets a lot harder as the aperture goes down and the depth of field gets narrower. Which would make the lens larger, include more glass, and thus expensive. So, doubt they could surely do that. Similar reason why there are few zoom lenses below f/2.8. It reaches the point of diminishing returns on what is worth it.

Wouldnt surprise me for a second if this is basically the same optical formula as the current 50, with some minor tweaks for reliability (Canon lenses have been better built of late). With STM being the only real "upgrade"

Upvote 0
Dec 10, 2012
aussielearner said:
I can't understand how this lens can't have IS and still not be cheap.
I picked up a 55-250 STM here in Australia brand new for AUD$179.

Surely Canon could make a 50mm f1.8 with IS and still keep it under AUD$200.

If this lens included IS it would be the largest aperture lens Canon has implemented IS in to date. Marketing-wise, they probably want to save this brag for a higher end lens. Engineering-wise, it's probably fairly expensive (relative to the rest of the over-all cost of the lens) to implement a state-of-the art IS system with a lens that has this large of a maximum aperture and so it would likely push the nifty-fifty out of the price competitive budget spot it has resided in. The budget zoom lenses have IS, but also have very narrow maximum apertures and (relatively) small elements that have to be shifted and moved for the IS system (that being said, I still think it's probably more for the marketing reasons than anything else).

Upvote 0
Chaitanya said:
49mm filter thread for a Canon lens sounds a little odd. I have a lot of Pentax lenses that use that filter thread, but never thought Canon would use that small sized filter mount. It is nice that Canon is moving to smaller size so now I can use all my Cpl, Nd and Gnd from pentax lenses with Canon kit.

That was my first thought as well, 49mm can't be right. Canon has never made an SLR lens with a filter size that small. It will work for me too, as I have a huge collection of 49s from my spotmatic kit.

Upvote 0
My current 50mm 1.8II serves me well. Crazy sharp optics especially at f/2.8, very high contrast and saturation of colour. I can't really find a flaw in IQ at /2.8, so I assume this one will take care of the 1.8 range and make it sharper with less CA.

My 50mm1.8II has been rehoused by me DIY style, giving it a very large/smooth focus ring, and it took quite much abuse and never le me down. I use it for video mostly and only for testing the lenses I do stills.

The only faults I've seen with my current one that I hope they fixed:

1- Auto-Focus accuracy, I don't do stills but everytime I do and use the OVF, Focus is just not reliable and I could never use it as a photographer just for that. Yes I do manual focus but then you cant focus an f/1.8 lens on an f/2.2 OVF, so all my photography with this lens is carried out with MF at Liveview (with ML digic and colour peaking, which makes it a breathe to focus manually.

2-Make the 1.8 IQ as good as the current one at 2.8. Sharpness takes a hit and CA appears, just general 1.8 IQ is only acceptable for 2mp 1080p video while 2.8 is perfect, just like a 24-0 2.8 at 50mm. So fix the 1.8 end, please.

3-General construction (which I got around by rehousing( but the new stm looks very solid so that one is apparently/hopefully fixed

In short I am a happy 50mm owner, and find no reason to want more, surely my audience wont too. So the onlt reason I might upgrade for another 50mm is

1-mine breaks

2-Canon makes an IS version (wouldn't shooting steady 1.8 50mm be a dream for video without any kind of rigs?! Just a small rebel body and a 50 mil, lovely idea!)

Upvote 0
nc0b said:
Maybe I am atypical, but I don't use a 50mm lens that often except for macro work. If I need speed, I use my 85mm f/1.8, and also usually need the extra reach on a FF body. I happen to have to residences, and the only duplicate lens I have at each place is the ancient but excellent 50mm f/2.5 lens. If I was going to buy a fast 50mm lens, I would want IS since I would likely be shooting in a dark environment where I was having to cope with ISO/noise issues and slow shutter speeds. My 6D is darn good on low noise, but I still have to worry about shutter speed and having a steady hand.

I understand your praise of the 50mm macro perfectly. 50mm as focal length isn't too attractive to me but an
EF 50mm / 2.0 IS USM Macro would find a place in my bag as a universal lens for standard situations, close ups, low light.

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010
ahsanford said:
The someday new 50 f/nooneknows IS USM is a $600 future state lens based on the 24/28/35 IS refresh price history, but there is such massive pent-up demand for an 9 out of 10 at everything 50mm with IS, not immense and heavy, modern/reliable/fast USM, etc. that I honestly believe they could briefly sell it for anywhere up to $1,000 at first offering and just clean up sales-wise.

Will love to see a new 50 f/nooneknows IS ring-USM lens too.

But since no-one-knows when the above is coming, I'll make do with the 50 f/1.8 STM for now.

Upvote 0
Maximilian said:
thepancakeman said:
ahsanford said:
Thank god this is clearly a budget lens. No focus scale, no IS, no internal focusing (a guess, but likely), and no USM.

If it had some of those things, I'd be worried about some rumors that this lens was merging the 50 f/1.8 and 50 f/1.4 USM lines.

Thankfully, that's not the case. Nice work, Canon. Now give me the lens I'll actually pay you for.

- A
Seeing as how most of the posts in this thread are quite positive, I don't think you speak for everyone. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but don't believe that everyone else is just like you.
Hi thepancakeman!

I don't know what's the point. Please tell me, because...

I see it similar to ahsanford!

I think it is great that this is a budget lens and that it (hopefully) offers great value for money.
So everyone waiting for this lens is pleased.

But I am also waiting for a successor of the 50/1.4 USM.
Because I want something small, wide aperture, and with fast as can be AF.

Releasing this lens (hopefully) soon, gives Canon the possibility and resources to go on in 50 mm development.
They need to improve the 50/1.4 and will do this only if it does not cannibalize the 50L.
So 50L to be improved soon, to compete against Zeiss and Sigma and then the 50/1.4 (and please leave it 1.4!!!).
Maybe this will take more than 2 years (really hope not so) and maybe the 50 STM will be something to work inbetween.
But what I really want is a new 50/1.4 USM.
+1 This is what I want too

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
But, in candor, this lens isn't for folks who already own a decent 50 prime -- it's for those who don't own a 50 prime at all. This is the 'gateway' lens that enthusiasts buy early in their photographic journey to appreciate the speed, sharpness and smaller size of primes. Then they buy more of them.

- A

I agree, but I think there will be another market for as well: experienced enthusiasts and pros who are looking for a small, good IQ prime to use as a walk-around lens. I recently purchased a Sigma Art 50mm and the only thing I don't like about it is its size/weight. I certainly don't expect this entry level prime to complete with the Art's IQ, but my expectation will be it will be a step forward from the current nifty fifty and 50/1.4. There are times I want a small lens and I really enjoy the 50mm focal length. I considered but never purchased a 40mm pancake since (1) its f/2.8 aperture wasn't that fast - the same as my standard zoom, and (2) I've own a 35/2 IS and the focal lengths are too similar.

So, I plan to buy one as long as its fairly inexpensive. What I really wanted was a Canon 50/1.4 IS with similar quality optics, size and price to the 24/28/35 IS primes, but gave up waiting and bought a Sigma Art in March. So, I'll probably buy one of these for use when I want to go small/light and I'll use the Sigma indoors and the rest of the time.

Upvote 0
JohanCruyff said:
Speaking about a possible future Canon EF 50mm F/1.4 IS: how fast is the current fastest IS (or VC or VR or OS) lens? Is it 2.0 (Canon 35mm) or even faster IS lenses exist?
AFAIK, a 50mm F/1.4 IS would be a new world record, but I might be wrong.
So far, the most luminous lens has Image Stabilizer is only F2 aperture. If this new 50mm STM had stabilization, it would have been a world record and could not be a lens so small and cheap as expected to be.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
ajfotofilmagem said:
JohanCruyff said:
Speaking about a possible future Canon EF 50mm F/1.4 IS: how fast is the current fastest IS (or VC or VR or OS) lens? Is it 2.0 (Canon 35mm) or even faster IS lenses exist?
So far, the most luminous lens has Image Stabilizer is only F2 aperture. If this new 50mm STM had stabilization, it would have been a world record and could not be a lens so small and cheap as expected to be.
Sony seems to have 50mm f1.8 OSS lens.

Upvote 0
Proscribo said:
ajfotofilmagem said:
The upcoming Zeiss Batis 85/1.8 is also stabilized.

Upvote 0
Proscribo said:
ajfotofilmagem said:
JohanCruyff said:
You're right. I researched and found out that Sony has 50mm F1.8 and another 35mm F1.8 with image stabilizer. These lenses are for APS-C only, but left me with a bit of envy of Sony users.

Upvote 0