Canon EF 600mm f/4 DO IS To Arrive in Late 2017 [CR2]

asl

Aug 23, 2016
ahsanford said:
YuengLinger said:
They said the ef 50mm f/1.2 L II would be ready when?

Can't believe I beat ahsanford to the question.

L? f/1.2? What does that mean? Who needs that?

- A

Only for weather sealing I would say i do not need 1.2, I have the Tamron 45 it is nice and weather seal is nice feature, but autofocus just is not good enough I think and that makes to hole ting a bit of strange combination, think I will have to (try) to return it.

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
I don't mind to carry the 600 f/4 II if the quality is top notch, have no problem shooting it handheld. Sometimes only neck hurts by end of the day :)
https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compare/Side-by-side/Canon-EF-400mm-F28L-IS-II-USM-versus-Canon-EF-400mm-F4-DO-IS-II-USM-on-Canon-EOS-5DS-R__401_0_1425_1009 I know, we all love DxO, but I'm still wondering if the DO technology saves the length / weight, but optically is not as flawless as the regular one?

Upvote 0
Jopa said:
I don't mind to carry the 600 f/4 II if the quality is top notch, have no problem shooting it handheld. Sometimes only neck hurts by end of the day :)
https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compare/Side-by-side/Canon-EF-400mm-F28L-IS-II-USM-versus-Canon-EF-400mm-F4-DO-IS-II-USM-on-Canon-EOS-5DS-R__401_0_1425_1009 I know, we all love DxO, but I'm still wondering if the DO technology saves the length / weight, but optically is not as flawless as the regular one?

That metric on the dxo website is very misleading because the "mpix" sharpness number they use is a conglomerate measurement of all apertures across the field. It's a useless measurement for a lens like this. What people really want to know is how sharp it is wide open. The 400doii is super sharp wide open but it drops off more quickly as you stop down compared to other lenses.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
Jopa said:
Yikes you must be the original Mr Muscles. Very few photographers on the planet could work all day hand holding any 600mm.
My three times a week at the gym clearly isn't enough. :p

-pw

Upvote 0
pwp said:
Yikes you must be the original Mr Muscles. Very few photographers on the planet could work all day hand holding any 600mm.
My three times a week at the gym clearly isn't enough. :p

-pw

once i talked to a guy, bigger build than mine but more lazy
he's more a portraiter and studio shooter than a 'hiker', neither a birder standing on a tower a couple of hours

i told him the 300 F4 ED (not pf) if you are walking 7-8 hours (+ backpack + up and down the hill, water )
in the evening will let you feel tired
he was like that's not heavy (yes from a stationary bird watcher or a studio photographer perspective)

but i didnt tell him, can you lift this up once twice or thrice ? that's heavy like a 'blue tit'

basicly a safarist doesnt do anything in comparison = car + tripod + airplane, 2-3 hours, move it from one place to another and thats it, back in the hotel to eat the nice dinner

static vs active, 2-3 hours vs whole day

i'm of strong build and i lift bags 25-30kg at work, daily
not yet 40yo

Upvote 0
I wonder, how good will the optical performance be? I owned the 400 DO Version I and was dissatisfied. The version II seems to be even better, but I know two persons that have bought it, who say, the optical performance is very good, but not excellent for this price.
My grandson says, the fresnel technology is still not as good as the conventional one. It got much better in the last years, but it will take another years to become as good as the current conventional lens technology

Upvote 0

fish_shooter

Underwater Photographer
Oct 9, 2013
Alaska
www.salmonography.com
No mention of a BR element? The one shown last year did. see:
http://www.lens-rumors.com/canon-ef-600mm-f4l-is-do-br-usm-lens-prototype-images/

An f/4 600mm lens needs to have a 150mm aperture so the diameter will be large compared to the f/4 400mm DO that only needs a 100mm aperture. I have the new 400 DO and it is indeed very sharp. Specular bokeh balls have rings due to the Fresnel nature of the lens.

Upvote 0

arcer

You're now reading irrelevant text.
Jan 8, 2016
Hong Kong SAR
Steve Dmark2 said:
Canon Rumors said:
We’re told that the Canon EF 600mm f/4 DO IS <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-ef-600mm-f4-do-br-at-canon-expo/">that was shown in prototype form</a> at Canon EXPO in September of 2015 is currently scheduled to be launched in the second half of 2017.</p>
<p>Along with the new DO supertelephoto, we’re told that Canon is well on its way developing updates for the other “big white” prime lenses. While optics will likely be similar, Canon is working on weight savings techniques and updated coatings and IS systems. ....

Maybe they also fit in new AF System "NANO USM technology" as well as digital focus display.
However the second part can be to gimmiky for the Big whites ;)

I think that Nano USM is not faster than the conventional USM technology and such technology are much more suitable in zoom lens than primes.
In terms of the digital display, lets see how the market response to the one on the new 70-300 zoom.

Upvote 0

FEBS

Action Photography
CR Pro
Chaitanya said:
that would certainly be an interesting lens other than the fact that huge front element will make it awkward(to say the least) to carry in bag while travelling.

But that means that I could use my Gura Gear Bataflae 26L Backpack for travelling instead of the 32L. The last one with 600/f4 II and 1Dx is really critical as handluggage on the airplane, as it is not always permitted from every airline. I now kneed the 32L so that my 600f4 can fit inside, but together with 1Dx and extenders the weight for hand luggage is quickly reached while there is still a lot of place in the bag.

I hope that when the lens will be available that deliveries don't take over the delivery issiues of the 400/f4 DO II.

Upvote 0