Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM

Jul 21, 2010
Post your shots from Canon's longest MkII supertele!

Got mine a few days ago, have only had a couple of chances to use it, and those were close to home. Looking forward to having a bit more free time to travel to some better local spots (Plum Island, etc.).

All shots taken handheld, first two with the bare lens on an overcast, drizzly late afternoon (note the ISO used), the third on a sunny day (only one this week!) with the 1.4x III, and the last one

Thanks for looking!

EOS 1D X, EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM, 1/320 s, f/4, ISO 6400

EOS 1D X, EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM, 1/250 s, f/4, ISO 6400

EOS 1D X, EF 600mm f/4L IS II + EF 1.4x III Extender, 1/640 s, f/5.6, ISO 100

...and one bonus shot, the first one I took with the new lens. It was pouring rain and dark outside, so I decided to treat it as an indoor portrait lens. ;) This one is with the 1D X, f/4, 1/160 s, ISO 10000 and handheld.

Attachments

• Candid Portrait.jpg
    Candid Portrait.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 8,990
R

Richard Lane

Congrats on the new lens John! What a great combination between the 1DX and 600II.

Bummer about the weather, but I really like the 1st shot, as the squirrel really "pops off the screen" and the ISO 6400 appears very well controlled too. Nice capture on the 3rd shot as well.., the Heron looks like a"flasher."

I wish you many incredible shots with your new toy!

Enjoy,
Rich

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Yes, but RRS may rethink that for the 500 II. There's a note on their website about it not balancing properly on a gimbal when TCs and/or a heavy body are used. It's fine with the 600 II with the 2x and 1D X - that combo has the back of the foot flush with the LLR clamp on the gimbal. With the 1.4x and 2x stacked, the back of the foot is ~8mm inside the clamp (still safe, according to RRS).

Since the 600 II is longer and more front-heavy than the 500 II, I expect there might be an issue balancing that lens with a 2x and gripped body.

Interestingly, the RRS foot extends further back than the stock Canon foot or the Kirk replacement - those might be problematic on a gimbal.

Upvote 0
S

Sashi

Hi, I'm still waiting for the 600 II and would like some information regarding the foot. I have a wimberely gimbal head and while interested in the replacement foot I'm apprehensive as the website states it will make it difficult to carry the lens by hand due to the reduced distance. Is this the case or am I ok to go ahead with getting one? Also do you recommend the rrs one over the wimberely?
Thanks

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The Wimberley replacement foot is really just a plate, and has no riser. "Difficult to use as a handle?" I'd say close to impossible. I just measured the extension of the collar where the foot mounts - it's 1/2" high, I can't see how I could wrap my hand around the Wimberley 'foot'. I'd definitely recommend the RRS foot over the Wimberley.

You could also go with the Canon foot and P-50 plate. The combo won't extend as far back as the RRS foot, but the clamping surface on the Wimberley II is ~60mm long, whereas the RRS PG-02 LLR that I use has an 80mm clamp - the P-50 might not sit all the way back on the platform, but should be entirely within the clamp with most loads (perhaps not if you stack two TCs or mount a flash on the camera hotshoe).

Upvote 0
Fabulous shots John, especially like the 2nd bird pic - amazing purple & greens blown-out background and incredible detail on both the bird & the branch - so much for handheld at the reciprocal of the focal length! (even with IS, its still good)

btw anyone who thinks that Canon tech is not taking strides forward, should examine those handheld 600mm @ ISO=6400 shots, and realize that enthusiasts can produce National Geographic quality photos.

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
Thanks Neuro / John...

Fantastic photos... great colours - even at the high ISOs.

I think you've created some strong images - nice compositions for your 'first few tries' of the combination of a great lens with an awesome body.

The 'bonus' indoor candid shot - I'm imagining that you are some distance away from her then!?

Looking forward to your photos from other locations, Plum Island, etc (not that I know anything about Plum Island from this side of the globe!)

Best wishes...

Paul

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
tron said:
Very nice images. But hey! I remember you had mentioned you were thinking of a 500mm f/4L IS II. I guess that you got tired waiting.

Thanks!

I had planned on the 500/4 II. But I decided that I'd really like to use the 1D X rather than the 7D, for the lower ISO noise, better AF, and faster frame rate. But, 500mm on FF means giving back 140mm vs. 400mm on APS-C. OTOH, the 600/4 II is essentially the same weight as the original 500/4, so about as handholdable. Giving back 40mm isn't that big a deal, and with the 1.4x III, I'd gain 200mm relative to 400mm on 1.6x, and have great optical results. So, I went for the 600/4 II.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
tron said:
Very nice images. But hey! I remember you had mentioned you were thinking of a 500mm f/4L IS II. I guess that you got tired waiting.

Thanks!

I had planned on the 500/4 II. But I decided that I'd really like to use the 1D X rather than the 7D, for the lower ISO noise, better AF, and faster frame rate. But, 500mm on FF means giving back 140mm vs. 400mm on APS-C. OTOH, the 600/4 II is essentially the same weight as the original 500/4, so about as handholdable. Giving back 40mm isn't that big a deal, and with the 1.4x III, I'd gain 200mm relative to 400mm on 1.6x, and have great optical results. So, I went for the 600/4 II.

Congrats John!

Wish the rest of us could enjoy this Dilemma too :p

Upvote 0
L

lesliejmorris

Congratulations on getting your lens! Question to you and to others who have received their lens. When did you order and how long did it take them to fulfill your order? I have had mine on order since August 15 and there is no estimate from anyone as to when they might come in. Also the company whom I ordered from (one of the biggies) won't divulge where I am on the list...it is killing me :mad: Thanks. PS. Love the squirrel!

Upvote 0