Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS II Confirmed

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>We r<a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/a-new-ef-70-200mm-is-coming-in-2018-cr3/">eported a couple of months ago that a new EF 70-200mm</a> was coming some time in 2018. Unfortunately, it’s not a new EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III.</p>
<p>Instead it looks like <a href="http://www.nokishita-camera.com/2018/03/ef70-200mm-f4l-is-ii-usmef-m32mm-f14-stm.html">we’re getting an EF 70-200mm f/4L IS II</a>.</p>
<p>We are unsure of the exact announcement date for this new lens, but ahead of Photokina would make sense</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
neuroanatomist said:
Let me remind people about the 24-105mm f/4L IS II.....

;D :D

Too true. And there was room for improvement there.

While I am always excited to see what "new and improved" looks like, I'd still call the 70-200 f/4 IS class leading:
https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2016/03/just-the-lenses-the-70-200mm-f4-comparison/

Maybe some improvement away from center?

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
neuroanatomist said:

Spoilsport ;)

Seriously though, around 2013 Lens Rentals did a series of very interesting articles on the accuracy of phase detect AF in the latest ( at the time) Canon dslrs and how lenses produced around 2012 had to be used to achieve the same phase detect accuracy and precision as contrast detect. They concluded that it was due to a 'closed loop' communication system between camera and lens, and the USM lenses required a direction indicator to achieve this level of accuracy. So don't expect AF miracles with your new Canon 5DIII and your 1990 EF 85/1.8

So these seemingly minor upgrades of lenses like the 24-105, and possibly this 70-200 may be based upon more accurate phase detect AF. Of course we all know that this is a complete waste of time as mirrorless is the future and the dslr is dead, but Canon appears to have not realised this yet, and is still investing time and resources in giving those poor fools who still use dslrs better tools ;)

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
criscokkat said:
Now that the cat's out of the bag with regards to IS on the M50, I expect a full line refresh of all of the older IS lenses. They need to be able to have updatable firmware to interface with internal IS systems for maximum effectiveness for future full frame mirrorless cameras.

Which is why it won't be an EF mount.

Upvote 0
I can't imagine it being much sharper, if at all. It could definitely have less vignette and quieter IS. Less distortion at 70mm would be nice but I would think there are limits to what you can really do a out that. Maybe better transmission? The last few Canon lenses have transmission almost match the f stop and the current 70-200 4 IS is about a half stop slower than it could be.

But Canon has a trend of putting the prices way up on every revision and part of the strength of the 70-200 4 IS is it's good value. I'd like an upgrade but I doubt they can improve it enough to justify the inevitable price rise. Especially after they already put their prices up by like £300 on the current version in this country.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
tron said:
Tyroop said:
What will be new? Difficult to see how they could improve optically on this lens and the 4-stop IS is excellent. I have always found it to be a stunning performer.
+1 Same for its 2.8 big brother! Too good to be improved substantially!

maybe they will make it an ounce lighter

Or like the 24-105 Mark II just a new SKU and price jump

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2011
Sporgon said:
So don't expect AF miracles with your new Canon 5DIII and your 1990 EF 85/1.8

Funny you mention that. I have had my EF 85mm 1.8 since the 90's. Always hit and miss with AF. From a Canon A2e to Digital Rebel to 30D to 70D to 5DII. I now have a 5DIV and guess what, suddenly the AF is right on the money. From maybe 40% of all pictures being tack sharp, the rate went to probably 90% with the 5DIV. Unfortunately it's a little late as I just got a EF 85MM 1.4....

I also don't see much they could improve on the 70-200 L 4. Maybe quieter IS, that's about it. I wish they would put more effort into a 24-70 2.8 L IS. I want one and am willing to pay for it...now...

Upvote 0

riker

5D4
Jan 19, 2015
riker.hu
What do you mean unfortunately?!?! Finally!!!
Who the hell needs 2.8 III? Since when is the II not good enough?

The /4 is the best travel lens ever but it is outdated. Had better IQ than the 2.8 IS back in the days, but the 2.8II surpassed it. Time to catch up.

Quieter IS?!? Now where did that come from? Why not simply a more efficient IS?!
Less weight/size, closer focusing distance, AF speed, AF accuracy, many attributes can be improved.

I have the 2.8 but I'm always taking the 4 for travels, which is often.

(EF-M 70-200/2.8 would be nice tho, but since we never had en EF-S version, we are not going to have an EF-M version either)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
IglooEater said:
neuroanatomist said:

I’d like to hear your take on why they bothered with that lens.

My guess is reduced production costs. It's a kit lens (albeit for FF), and they've revised the 18-55mm kit lenses with essentially cosmetic-only changes, presumably to reduce production cost.

Upvote 0