Canon EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS USM

I am thinking about getting this lens. My question though for those of you who have it, concerns the tripod ring. Did you purchase one? Or do you attach your tripod to the body. Canon selling the tripod ring for an additional 300 bucks, sort of negates the cost advantage this lens has over the 100-400.

I rented a 100-400 for two weeks and liked the image quality but the weight did get annoying.

This would be my second lens, I have a 5dmark3 and the kit lens.

Having a seriously difficult time deciding between it and the 100-400, I was pretty much go for the 70-300L until I heard about the lack of a tripod ring and the crazy price for it.

Upvote 0
jeffdo said:
I am thinking about getting this lens. My question though for those of you who have it, concerns the tripod ring. Did you purchase one? Or do you attach your tripod to the body. Canon selling the tripod ring for an additional 300 bucks, sort of negates the cost advantage this lens has over the 100-400.

Where are you seeing that price? It's $170 at B&H. Still stupid expensive but not $300!

I have the ring as I shoot off of a monopod quite a bit and everything balances better that way. I bought a cheap eBay knockoff first but regretted it almost immediately. The Canon ring is MUCH better.

Upvote 0
I've used it on the tripod with the 60D and its a little front heavy, but not bad (entry level manfrotto tripod/ball head). I haven't put it on my 5d3, but I suspect the extra weight would make it even a little less so.

I'm sure I'll get roasted over this, but my choice would be to put that $170 extra into an even better tripod/head instead of that ring. I know the ring is nice on my 70-200 2.8 (essential even), but I'm okay without it on the 70-300 (sometimes I need to use things the "wrong way" for a while before I see the value in the higher $$$ gear).

Upvote 0
Sep 18, 2012
USA
I feel the 70-300L/5D3 is best supported by a tripod collar, due to its combined weight. I bought a $42 version from China off eBay. It was delivered very fast (less than a week) and is of decent quality, but the clamp tolerance was a little loose. I fixed it by shimming the gap directly beneath the hinge with a 1-inch long piece of 3/4-inch velcro (loop/fuzzy side). This took up the slack while still allowing the lens to freely rotate for vertical shots and doesn't leave any messy, sticky residue, like tape would when it gets hot outside. It's been working great for months, now, so for $42-delivered, I'd say it's a much better deal than Canon's collar. Here's the link, if anyone wants to check it out:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tripod-Mount-Ring-C-WII-for-Canon-70-300mm-f-4-5-6L-/350487384475?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:3160

Upvote 0

Vivid Color

CR Pro
Dec 7, 2012
I thought about buying the 100-400 until I tested it and found that I had difficulties getting in-focus shots hand held due to the length and weight of the lens. (But, that's just me. I have small hands and short arms.) So, that's when I decided to get the 70-300L and I have had no difficulties at all getting getting tack sharp shots with it. And, I bought a collar from Fotodiox through Amazon for about $40. I've had no slippage issues with the collar, although to date I've only used it a couple of times so I don't know how it will perform over a longer period of usage. By the way, the same collar on Fotodiox's own website is almost $100. Stranger still is the fact that Amazon's site says the retail price is $44.95. Here's the link to the collar on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Premium-Tripod-70-300mm-F4-5-6L/dp/B008BBR8CI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367620420&sr=8-1&keywords=fotodiox+70-300L

Upvote 0
Although I dont have any images that I feel are worthy to post yet, I must say that I am so glad I bought this lens. I was originally going to get he 70-200IS but noticed this lens. A little more money but a lot more reach (got it on a Canon refurb sale). I brought it out to a family gathering for the first use and my father (Nikon user for life) just upgraded to a D600 and wanted to know what I had im my bag. I showed him my first red ring. He played with it for a while and set the rig back in my bag. If he has a complaint it will be heard so his silence was kind of a shock to me. Once I got home and looked at the pictures I took of seal pups I was amazed that 100% still looked nice rather than 50% looking ok (prior tele-zoom was 55-250mm). Damn fine lens

Upvote 0
So... is $1,087.32 for this lens from the Canon refurb store as good a deal as it feels like? It's slightly lower even than some completed Ebay listings for used copies. Oh well, I already ordered. I was almost totally prepared to spring for the new price anyway, so any savings are good savings. You can all feel responsible for your great shots convincing me to get yet another lens...

Upvote 0
phixional ninja said:
So... is $1,087.32 for this lens from the Canon refurb store as good a deal as it feels like? It's slightly lower even than some completed Ebay listings for used copies. Oh well, I already ordered. I was almost totally prepared to spring for the new price anyway, so any savings are good savings. You can all feel responsible for your great shots convincing me to get yet another lens...

It's pretty hard to beat that price. They rarely get that low used (around $1200 is more typical), and this way you get some kind of warranty. Beyond that, there aren't many on the used market. I don't think it has been a volume seller and most of us that have one hang on to them!

Upvote 0
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
phixional ninja said:

It's pretty hard to beat that price. They rarely get that low used (around $1200 is more typical), and this way you get some kind of warranty. Beyond that, there aren't many on the used market. I don't think it has been a volume seller and most of us that have one hang on to them!

I looked at this too, I was a little leery because the 70-300L is one of the few that doesn't reference a 90 day warranty like a number of other lenses do. Saving 300 bucks is pretty nice though.

Upvote 0