Canon EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS USM

I am not sure what you are moving on from. If you are like me, this is night and day compared to the 55-250mm (expected). I avoided telling my better half how much it was, she finally used it and was blow away. She assumed it was over a thousand (double what she would ever spend) and was alright with that after using it and finding the range to be awesome and the AF fast and accurate. I am also stoked that a 100% crop is now useable.

If you are worried about the lack of mentioning the warranty, you have 2 weeks to return after delivery and I am pretty sure that all refurbs have a 90 day warranty. If you are coming from a non-red ring (like me) you will be happy.

Upvote 0
jeffdo said:
I looked at this too, I was a little leery because the 70-300L is one of the few that doesn't reference a 90 day warranty like a number of other lenses do. Saving 300 bucks is pretty nice though.

Heh... I might have gotten overly excited, I didn't even notice that. This seems to indicate that the 90 day warranty is a blanket policy for all refurbished products though, so I think it's covered.

boateggs said:
I am not sure what you are moving on from. If you are like me, this is night and day compared to the 55-250mm (expected). I avoided telling my better half how much it was, she finally used it and was blow away. She assumed it was over a thousand (double what she would ever spend) and was alright with that after using it and finding the range to be awesome and the AF fast and accurate. I am also stoked that a 100% crop is now useable.

If you are worried about the lack of mentioning the warranty, you have 2 weeks to return after delivery and I am pretty sure that all refurbs have a 90 day warranty. If you are coming from a non-red ring (like me) you will be happy.

Well, I'm coming from the 70-200 f4L non-IS, so my transition won't be quite as mind blowing as yours. I'm anticipating greatly enjoying the extra 100mm and IS though, I'm not worried about regretting the purchase unless it's a bad copy (and the hassle that will entail).

Upvote 0
It arrived! It was super windy here today, and I didn't have much time to wander about, but I'm pretty happy with this from my first hour with the lens:

Canon 5DmkIII | Canon 70-300L | 1/100s | f/9.0 | ISO200 | 300mm

My refurb unit appears to be basically pristine. No cosmetic or apparent image quality flaws, just the tiniest wiggle in the focusing ring (and only forward and back, no play in terms of turning it). I'm absolutely loving the IS. I know the focusing speed should be comparable to my 70-200 f4L or the 135mm f2L, but I'm not used to that smooth, non-jittery image in the view finder, which makes the whole experience feel more immediate. I can't wait to get out with it more.

Upvote 0
phixional ninja said:
It arrived! It was super windy here today, and I didn't have much time to wander about, but I'm pretty happy with this from my first hour with the lens:

Canon 5DmkIII | Canon 70-300L | 1/100s | f/9.0 | ISO200 | 300mm

My refurb unit appears to be basically pristine. No cosmetic or apparent image quality flaws, just the tiniest wiggle in the focusing ring (and only forward and back, no play in terms of turning it). I'm absolutely loving the IS. I know the focusing speed should be comparable to my 70-200 f4L or the 135mm f2L, but I'm not used to that smooth, non-jittery image in the view finder, which makes the whole experience feel more immediate. I can't wait to get out with it more.

That is a beautiful image. Bravo - and congrats on your new acquisition. Here's one taken at 420mm (Kenko Pro 300 1.4x) and f/11. Amazing compression at that focal length!

Blossoming by Thousand Word Images by Dustin Abbott, on Flickr

Upvote 0
Be warned that most of these are ProphotoRGB so you need a color-managed browser to not make them look a mess (and in some the red might look a bit blow unless you use a wide gamut monitor), click for larger (although, sadly on the color-managed Firefox, clicking for larger doesn't really show them properly since you get a semi-working scrollbar windowed view instead of a normal all at once view):
9456565726_6a1974ddfe_b.jpg

7803866296_3e48d3ee91_b.jpg

9614013032_5b6791f953_h.jpg

9614011102_561472ffa5_h.jpg

9566783620_a794edd8b5_c.jpg

9558851815_4367d7c671_b.jpg

9558877381_6fa066bce1_h.jpg

Upvote 0
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
skullyspice said:
fantastic lens. creamy bokeh.
That's great! Nice sharpness and color, I agree that the bokeh is surprisingly good with the 70-300L

Thanks! Ive only played with this lens for a couple days so far but I am really impressed with the sharpness and bokeh. my new favorite!

Upvote 0

Viv

Canon
Sep 30, 2013
I'm buying the 70-300 L this week :) yay !

The store has an unsold new copy of the lens from 2010 ( serial no. 72xxxxxxxx) which they will let me have at the old price but with full normal warranty from date of my purchase. It's a small but significant saving. I've tested the lens thoroughly and it's absolutely fresh, new and working perfectly.

Do I buy this lens or should I just opt for a recently manufactured copy?

::)

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
neuroanatomist said:
"Bad Breath"

EOS 1D X, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM @ 236mm, 1/400 s, f/5.6, ISO 1250

This lens really sings when you get it right, amazing for its zoom range and unique to Canon at the present time I think.

For a moment there I thought this was someone eating their words.......... ;)

Upvote 0