Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM

TexPhoto

EOS 6D MK II
Apr 15, 2011
1,233
17
San Juan, PR
Rienzphotoz said:
Very nice images ... did you apply a lot of distortion correction for this UWA lens?
No software correction applied. I shoot this lens on a 1D4, and 7D when shooting sports (and a 5D at other times). The crop body will reduce the fisheye effect, (when zoomed to 15mm) especially on the 7D. And there is some cropping of the images in post which will do the same. Thanks for the compliment!
 
Nov 6, 2013
6
0
Great lens. I try to find an opportunity to use whenever I can.
Seems appropriate to use this lens in an aquarium ;)




With a lens this wide, I really need to pay attention to the horizon.


 

Eldar

EOS 5D MK IV
Jan 14, 2013
3,247
0
www.flickr.com
cresantec said:
Great lens. I try to find an opportunity to use whenever I can.
Seems appropriate to use this lens in an aquarium ;)
Great images.
Most of the time we see absurd fisheye perspectives from the use of this lens, but used properly you can get really great images. There are some impressive examples on this thread.
 

Harry Muff

EOS 7D MK II
Aug 29, 2011
412
0
Toronto
www.flickr.com
I had a play with one of these on a 5D3 the other day, and came to the conclusion that it's the same focal length at both ends.


What do I mean?


Well, I looked at the edges when it was at 8mm and in fish-eye mode, and then while at 15mm and the same area was covered i.e. a table was at the edge of the frame regardless.




Nice lens, but the fish-eye end just seems a bit of a gimmick.
 

JohnDizzo15

EOS 7D MK II
Aug 23, 2013
524
0
Harry Muff said:
I had a play with one of these on a 5D3 the other day, and came to the conclusion that it's the same focal length at both ends.


What do I mean?


Well, I looked at the edges when it was at 8mm and in fish-eye mode, and then while at 15mm and the same area was covered i.e. a table was at the edge of the frame



Nice lens, but the fish-eye end just seems a bit of a gimmick.
Yes. It is pretty much the same degree fov. But that does not make them one and the same.

There is no "fish-eye end" since it is all technically fisheye across the whole range.

On a 5D3, you get a circular fisheye at 8 and a regular fisheye at 15. Two completely different things. Not a gimmick.

Lastly, the main motivation for this lens was to have one fisheye to rule them all with regard to providing a true fisheye with all sensors in one lens. This means all three of canon's sensors, if you happen to own them all have fisheye capability with it unlike any other fisheye on the market today (full frame, 1.3x, and 1.6x).
 

TexPhoto

EOS 6D MK II
Apr 15, 2011
1,233
17
San Juan, PR
JohnDizzo15 said:
Harry Muff said:
I had a play with one of these on a 5D3 the other day, and came to the conclusion that it's the same focal length at both ends.


What do I mean?


Well, I looked at the edges when it was at 8mm and in fish-eye mode, and then while at 15mm and the same area was covered i.e. a table was at the edge of the frame




Nice lens, but the fish-eye end just seems a bit of a gimmick.
Yes. It is pretty much the same degree fov. But that does not make them one and the same.

There is no "fish-eye end" since it is all technically fisheye across the whole range.

On a 5D3, you get a circular fisheye at 8 and a regular fisheye at 15. Two completely different things. Not a gimmick.

Lastly, the main motivation for this lens was to have one fisheye to rule them all with regard to providing a true fisheye with all sensors in one lens. This means all three of canon's sensors, if you happen to own them all have fisheye capability with it unlike any other fisheye on the market today (full frame, 1.3x, and 1.6x).
All zoom lenses work this way.., to some degree. The lens makes an image circle, and while you zoom, the circle gets bigger and smaller. In the fixed size of the image sensor, the image zooms in and out. This is why some lenses went for crop sensors can cover the whole frame in FF. I have a tokina 11-17, and it works great on FF but only at 15-17.

I am not a huge fan of the circular fisheye image, and I rarely use the lens this way. But the zoom is very useful for 2 other reason. On my 1d4, and 7D, I can zoom to the most fisheye, and the least fish that still cover the frame. If I know i am shooting a panoramic or a square cropped photo and zoom as appropriate for that look even on my 5D3.
 

rs

EOS 6D MK II
Dec 29, 2012
1,024
0
UK
Harry Muff said:
I had a play with one of these on a 5D3 the other day, and came to the conclusion that it's the same focal length at both ends.


What do I mean?


Well, I looked at the edges when it was at 8mm and in fish-eye mode, and then while at 15mm and the same area was covered i.e. a table was at the edge of the frame regardless.




Nice lens, but the fish-eye end just seems a bit of a gimmick.
8mm and 15mm are quite different focal lengths. However, it provides the same 180' FoV at all zoom settings - when measured corner to corner. Left to right, at 15mm it's a little shy of 180', and top to bottom it's a long way short of 180'. At 8mm you get 180' in every angle. This is the result of zooming that circular projection up to fill the rectangular frame - something has to be missing.

If you don't need all 180' in every direction (such as pointed directly up to get an interesting sky with the horizon all the way around the edge of the projection), then you'd just as we'll zoom in until the sensor is fully covered.
 
Apr 29, 2014
4
0
41
Paris, FR
To me this is the most artistic and versatile lens from Canon : the combination of distorsion and POV can create amazing LSD-like shots. The 2-parts hood is a bit tricky to manipulate in action, the sharpness is not as good as on other L lenses, and slight blue chromatic aberrations are often visible at the edge of pic @ 8mm, though the photos are so extreme that it doesn't really matter.

These shots are from Paris.
 

Attachments