Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM

P

Pookie

danski0224 said:
If the dog needs a stand in, let me know :)

Yes, the images are also nice.

Thanks, that is Paco her rescue dog she adopted when he was 13. I'm sure she has no problems finding a stand-in :)

Click said:
Pookie said:
Another shoot this weekend, used the 200 f/2, 135L, 85L and 24-70 II... still 85 II wins the prize for utility and IQ.

Very nice pictures, Pookie. 8)

Thanks Click...

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
Great photos guys.

Although I have Zeiss Batis 85mm on pre-order, I simply do NOT see how it replaces my 85L II. Magical happens every time I mount this lens to my 1Dx.

@ f1.4

i-hrLTcpT-M.jpg

Upvote 0

nc0b

5DsR
Dec 3, 2013
Colorado
I have a question about technique/dept of field and aberrations of the 85mm f/1.2L II lens. I will use three recent shots by Gary Samples of his cute little model (daughter?) as examples. The one labeled "here's one more 1DX" has the prime focus on the blouse, or maybe a polka dot or two on the headband. The seriously out of focus white dots have terrible green CA, which I find quite distracting. The adorable one of her blowing a kiss has the eyes, eyelashes and eyebrows tack sharp, the mouth is modestly out of focus and the gloved hand has terrible purple CA. The last one shot with the 5DS shot at f/2.5 has fantastic eyelash resolution, but the mouth is out of the depth of field, and the ears are completely fuzzy.

I am not a pro, and only occasionally get to shoot outdoor portraiture. I lean towards more depth of field, with both the eyes and mouth/teeth sharp, allowing the ears to out of the depth of field, but not blurred. I have include two samples, none even shot with my 6D. The one with the blue tank top was shot with a lowly 40D, 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II at 135mm, f/5, 1/400 @ ISO 400. The one with the red jacket vest was with a 60D, 70-200mm F/4 IS at 160mm, f/8, 1/500 @ ISO 200. There is no obvious CA with these zoom lenses, but even with the much narrower apertures, the background is blown out with non-distracting bokeh.

Beyond the CA issues, how many photographers prefer a paper thin depth of field? Certainly the eyes need to be sharp, but little else seems odd to me.

Attachments

• TerriShade1xsc.jpg
    TerriShade1xsc.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 243
  • 9364-Terri-Crop-c1s.jpg
    9364-Terri-Crop-c1s.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 255
Upvote 0
i agree - DoF should probably cover the entire subject. random out-of-focus subject bits are unpleasant to my eyes, but some people love the look.

at f1.2 with an 85mm you'd have to be 26 feet away from the focal point of the subject to get just 2 feet of depth in focus. on the other hand, i suppose there's some merit in isolating an on-axis face in a frame full of bubble blur...

i like pookie's shots. what i wonder is if the 70-200/2.8 can do the same thing? or is there really some sort of lens construction magic going on in the 85/1.2 that makes even its smaller aperture shots unique.

nc0b said:
I have a question about technique/dept of field and aberrations of the 85mm f/1.2L II lens. I will use three recent shots by Gary Samples of his cute little model (daughter?) as examples. The one labeled "here's one more 1DX" has the prime focus on the blouse, or maybe a polka dot or two on the headband. The seriously out of focus white dots have terrible green CA, which I find quite distracting. The adorable one of her blowing a kiss has the eyes, eyelashes and eyebrows tack sharp, the mouth is modestly out of focus and the gloved hand has terrible purple CA. The last one shot with the 5DS shot at f/2.5 has fantastic eyelash resolution, but the mouth is out of the depth of field, and the ears are completely fuzzy.

I am not a pro, and only occasionally get to shoot outdoor portraiture. I lean towards more depth of field, with both the eyes and mouth/teeth sharp, allowing the ears to out of the depth of field, but not blurred. I have include two samples, none even shot with my 6D. The one with the blue tank top was shot with a lowly 40D, 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II at 135mm, f/5, 1/400 @ ISO 400. The one with the red jacket vest was with a 60D, 70-200mm F/4 IS at 160mm, f/8, 1/500 @ ISO 200. There is no obvious CA with these zoom lenses, but even with the much narrower apertures, the background is blown out with non-distracting bokeh.

Beyond the CA issues, how many photographers prefer a paper thin depth of field? Certainly the eyes need to be sharp, but little else seems odd to me.

Upvote 0
MonkeyB said:
i agree - DoF should probably cover the entire subject. random out-of-focus subject bits are unpleasant to my eyes, but some people love the look.

at f1.2 with an 85mm you'd have to be 26 feet away from the focal point of the subject to get just 2 feet of depth in focus. on the other hand, i suppose there's some merit in isolating an on-axis face in a frame full of bubble blur...

i like pookie's shots. what i wonder is if the 70-200/2.8 can do the same thing? or is there really some sort of lens construction magic going on in the 85/1.2 that makes even its smaller aperture shots unique.

nc0b said:

? what seems odd to me is non-pro voicing a un schooled opinion ::) but again it wouldn't be canon rumors without it
two more to my Ignore list ;D

Upvote 0