Canon EF 85mm f/1.4L IS & Three More Lenses Coming at the End of August [CR2]

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Re: Canon EF 85mm f/1.4L IS & Three More Lenses Coming at the End of August [CR2]

YuengLinger said:
ahsanford said:
YuengLinger said:
Did I miss the memo showing what the new lens actually looks like?

Here you go.

- A

Thanks. I guess I did see this and thought it was an "artist's rendition." Looks better balanced to me.
That's not a picture of the Canon though, just a little joke I think :D. It is the Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art with a red ring and new logo photoshopped on top. It might still be pretty accurate, seeing that the Canon 35mm 1.4 L II is fairly close to the Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art in size, weight and shape. It is in fact a little big bigger and heavier even. Since this lens get's IS, I guess it is fair to assume it will be at least as large as the Sigma?

+1 on a new 50mm by the way. I don't use a lens from that focal length currently, but once I've adressed other parts of my lens collection a 50mm with a recent optical formula and decent price might add a finishing touch.

Upvote 0
Re: Canon EF 85mm f/1.4L IS & Three More Lenses Coming at the End of August [CR2]

The 50mm f1.2 is a really weak lens that needs updating before the 85 imo. The look is nice out of it but its really soft on the edges, and worlds worse than my sigma 50.
If they could just keep the nice look of the canon 50, as shots look prettier with it, but improve its design to be sharper this would be great. Its not fair that the 16-35 has had 3 x updates while the 50 has been left on the wayside!

paul

Upvote 0

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague

mppix said:
Khalai said:
ahsanford said:
My personal votes for the three lenses:

• EF 50mm f/1.4L IS USM

• EF 50mm f/1.4 IS USM

• EF 50mm f/1.4 USM II

- A

And why not EF 50mm f/1.4 IS USM DO Macro 1.4TC while we're at it :-D

How about EF 50mm f/1.0 IS?

Jokes aside, I'd pay a lot of dollars for a 50mm that is really good wide open.. and it's not going to happen, again.

There has been 50/1.0L. Cost was about the same as Zeiss 55/1.4 Otus :mad:

paulrossjones said:
The 50mm f1.2 is a really weak lens that needs updating before the 85 imo. The look is nice out of it but its really soft on the edges, and worlds worse than my sigma 50.
If they could just keep the nice look of the canon 50, as shots look prettier with it, but improve its design to be sharper this would be great. Its not fair that the 16-35 has had 3 x updates while the 50 has been left on the wayside!

paul

50/1.2L has uncorrected spherical aberration, which makes a great bokeh and OOF transition at the cost of sharpness and possible focus shift. They would have to go retrofocal, aspherical and with floating group as Sigma and Zeiss Milvus/Otus have.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

Woody said:
rrcphoto said:
probably not. considering it'd be coming out with the M20

But release of lenses doesn't follow conventional rules. Otherwise, the 85 f1/.4L lens won't be released together with the M20.

What rules?

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

YuengLinger said:
Also, AHSanford, refresh my memory--would you accept a 50mm 1.2L if it was as quick and otherwise practical as, say, the 35mm 1.4? I guess that extra, what, 1/3 f/stop, adds too much weight and cost?

If they keep it as small as the current 50 f/1.2L, I would consider it -- but I have zero confidence Canon will go back to the double gauss well another time. I believe the 85 f/1.4L IS and the next 50L will be flippin huge, like Art/Otus huge. No thank you.

So my chips remain on the non-L 50 f/1.4 for me for nothing to do with speed or cost -- I think it will be kept small. I want 90% as good IQ as the best lens out there in half the size without needing to pull glass out and slow it down to f/2. We have that lens today in the EF 50 f/1.4 USM -- it just needs to be modernized.

- A

Upvote 0

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague

ahsanford said:
YuengLinger said:
Also, AHSanford, refresh my memory--would you accept a 50mm 1.2L if it was as quick and otherwise practical as, say, the 35mm 1.4? I guess that extra, what, 1/3 f/stop, adds too much weight and cost?

If they keep it as small as the current 50 f/1.2L, I would consider it -- but I have zero confidence Canon will go back to the double gauss well another time. I believe the 85 f/1.4L IS and the next 50L will be flippin huge, like Art/Otus huge. No thank you.

So my chips remain on the non-L 50 f/1.4 for me for nothing to do with speed or cost -- I think it will be kept small. I want 90% as good IQ as the best lens out there in half the size without needing to pull glass out and slow it down to f/2. We have that lens today in the EF 50 f/1.4 USM -- it just needs to be modernized.

- A

Double gauss/Planar design for 50 mm has been currently obsoleted by Retrofocus/Distagon design, which is both longer and heavier. Sigma Art primes are fine example. Even Zeiss went Distagon with Milvus/Otus instead of their old Planar design, which was soft wide open and suffered from focus shift issues.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger said:
Personally, I find the 85mm 1.2L II one of the most difficult lenses to hold without shake. It's the shape which makes my hold awkward and balance different than all other lenses.

I hope the shape of the 85 1.4 is a little longer, maybe not so "fat." Certainly IS will be a huge help, but even more so if the ergonomics are better.

Did I miss the memo showing what the new lens actually looks like?
Which camera are you using it with? It is a large, heavy lens and it really needs to be used with one of the bigger bodies such as a 5D or 1DX.
I use mine with a 5D mk 4 and it feels perfectly balanced, even if it is a rather heavy combination overall.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015

ahsanford said:
YuengLinger said:

- A

Speaking of wishes that don't come true... If Canon would make an f2 IS L lens in the normal range (preferably 45-50mm) weighing approximately 400grams, I would be thrilled. It would be my favorite lens for urban holidays. As much as I appreciated the 35 IS, it's not an L lens. It lacks in color, contrast, clarity, bokeh and build quality compared to the L standard. Sharpness wise it is good enough.

Btw, I have the Tamron 45mm f1.8. I realized just this week that it focuses well with the center focusing point, but consistently bad when using of center AF points. :-\ Hopefully, this can be addressed with a tap in console...

Upvote 0
Jun 9, 2017

Larsskv said:
ahsanford said:
YuengLinger said:

- A

Speaking of wishes that don't come true... If Canon would make an f2 IS L lens in the normal range (preferably 45-50mm) weighing approximately 400grams, I would be thrilled. It would be my favorite lens for urban holidays. As much as I appreciated the 35 IS, it's not an L lens. It lacks in color, contrast, clarity, bokeh and build quality compared to the L standard. Sharpness wise it is good enough.

Btw, I have the Tamron 45mm f1.8. I realized just this week that it focuses well with the center focusing point, but consistently bad when using of center AF points. :-\ Hopefully, this can be addressed with a tap in console...

Color etc is probably not that easy to judge, out of focus areas I am with you but build quality? Except it not being water spill resistant the build quality of that lense is top notch :).
I have one myself and I can only confirm reports from reviewers all over the world, namely Dustin Abbott, Christopher Frost etc.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015

Yasko said:
Larsskv said:
ahsanford said:
YuengLinger said:

- A

Color etc is probably not that easy to judge, out of focus areas I am with you but build quality? Except it not being water spill resistant the build quality of that lense is top notch :).
I have one myself and I can only confirm reports from reviewers all over the world, namely Dustin Abbott, Christopher Frost etc.

I have owned the 35 f2 IS. I know it's build. It is good, but seems less solid than the L lenses. When referring to the build I was mostly referring to the lack of weather sealing.

Upvote 0

Phil995511 said:
The 600 mm DO "L" F 4 would make my happiness, hoping it is light (maximum +/- 2.5 Kg) and not too long (+/- 300 mm).

The 200-600 mm "L" F 4-5.6 must go out quickly to cope of Sigma and Tamron.

The 24-70 mm "L" IS F 2.8 is also highly anticipated.

The 400 DO II is over 2kg. I think you're asking a bit much for a 600 DO to be just 2.5kg - after all, DO reduces lens length, but it'll still have all those glass elements in there, and that means the weight can't be reduced all that much compared to the current 600.

Upvote 0

Larsskv said:
I have owned the 35 f2 IS. I know it's build. It is good, but seems less solid than the L lenses. When referring to the build I was mostly referring to the lack of weather sealing.

Are all Ls sealed? I thought the 50L and 85L weren't, at least.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013

Woody said:
rrcphoto said:
probably not. considering it'd be coming out with the M20

But release of lenses doesn't follow conventional rules. Otherwise, the 85 f1/.4L lens won't be released together with the M20.

two entirely different lines though.

if it's an EF-M .. it's coming out with the M20.

Upvote 0