Canon EF 85mm f/1.4L IS USM on the Way [CR3]

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
I love my 85mm f/1.2L lens...I know it suffers from CA, is slow to focus, etc. but it is just such a unique lens that I doubt that I will want to replace it....
Plus I love to look at how Canon attached the electrical contacts right to the glass to enable such a bokeh monster to function on the camera. ...It's pretty cool! ;D

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
Nevertheless, I'm using the 100 2.8 Macro IS which currently lives on my 5DSR and love that perspective for portrait shots. The IS is EXTREMELY helpful for hand-holding with the high resolution. This new 85, assuming it comes to fruition, could be a candidate as a lens to permanently attach to the 5DSR for portraits, freeing up the 100 once again. Although I really do like the 100mm perspective...but having two extra stops could be huge in certain situations.

Upvote 0
Wow.
A CR3 about a new 85mm? 1.4 *and* IS? Now that's a nice thing to wake up to on a Sunday morning ;D

Looking forward to more info on this one. As usual, price and weight are major question marks ... and personally I'm really hoping for the BR stuff to find its way into this lens. In fact, and I may be in the minority here, but I care about BR more than I care about IS for this one. Of course I won't complain if both are present 8)

Upvote 0
Yeah, here's my thinking...

• If I keep my order for the Sigma 85mm Art, it'll cost me just over $1300.
  • Then next year, I might be able to sell it for $1000, which would be a loss of $300.
  • If I decide to cancel and just rent the Sigma, I can only rent it three times before the new Canon 85mm comes out to save any money.

So the question is: will this lens come out in the spring or the fall?

Upvote 0
mclaren777 said:
Yeah, here's my thinking...

• If I keep my order for the Sigma 85mm Art, it'll cost me just over $1300.
  • Then next year, I might be able to sell it for $1000, which would be a loss of $300.
  • If I decide to cancel and just rent the Sigma, I can only rent it three times before the new Canon 85mm comes out to save any money.

So the question is: will this lens come out in the spring or the fall?

I think you are better off purchasing the sigma and then selling it. First of all, we don't know when in 2017 the new Canon 85 will arrive. I personally would rather be shooting an 85 then waiting for one. Secondly, if the thought of renting it is an actual option for you, why limit yourself to maybe 3 weeks of 85 shooting for $300 when you could possibly shoot with it for almost a year before the Canon arrives.

I have been fighting back and forth with possible retrying to Sigma 35 and purchasing the Sigma 85, or going with the tamrons. The more I put it off the more I start to lean to towards the Canon 35Lii and then now, the new 85LIS. It will cost me far more money, but I think the future proofing of Canon lenses, and the MTF charts to keep up with the ever growing MP counts will be worth it in the long run.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
I bet a bunch of primes will be upgraded at once.

With Yongnuo copying the cheap primes (the 50mm f/1.4 & 85mm f/1.8 rumored, and 100mm f/2 announced), Canon has to take a step forward, a la the 24mm, 28mm, and 35mm.

The competitors are in with good 50mm & 85mm lenses. As I said before, as the competitors excel in sharpness, rather than bokeh, I think it might be possible Canon will release new lenses that excel in sharpness and continue making the current f/1.2 models.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
This is Canon telling people they don't need IBIS.

I hate to say it, but we probably have Sony to thank for spurring Canon on to develop something like this.

IS has been around for decades and never used on a lens faster than f2.8 other than the 35mm f2 IS from 2012 (or the Supertelephoto 200f2IS).
Is this really the first time anyone has thought that f1.4 with IS would be useful?
Highly doubtful, but I'm guessing Canon either worked overtime to make it happen or is just more willing to make the necessary compromises because the competition for this product is on the market right now.

Of course one might wonder if people won't just use this with IBIS as well, but I guess the question becomes "how long of an exposure is really useful".

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
infared said:
I love my 85mm f/1.2L lens...I know it suffers from CA, is slow to focus, etc. but it is just such a unique lens that I doubt that I will want to replace it....
Plus I love to look at how Canon attached the electrical contacts right to the glass to enable such a bokeh monster to function on the camera. ...It's pretty cool! ;D

+1. I agree with you. From what I have seen from never 85mm lenses, they lack something essential when compared to the 85L II. They might be a little sharper wide open, but they don't produce the better image.

I guess I will try this new 85L, but I will keep the old one if the new lens has a different overall rendering.

Upvote 0

Chris Jankowski

6DII + various lenses, 200D + 15-85
Jul 27, 2013
MaxFoto said:
WTF Canon? The 200 1.8 goes to F/2, the 50 1.0 to 1.2. And now the same to the legendary 85 1.2L?? WTF???
Whats the point of having a large diameter lens mount if you're not gonna take advantage?
Large diameter lens mount has little to do with it.
The lenses you mentioned: 50/1.0, 200/1.8 and 85/1.2 all come from the film days. Film, being generally limited to 400 ISO, required super bright lenses to allow one to photogrph in limited natural light.
These lenses represented the effort to make them bright at nearly any cost. This is why they are so heavy, unwieldy, with atrotious AF speed, horribly soft out of centre, and huge amount of distrtions. Also extremely expensive.
With digital cameras that produce high quality low noise images at 3200 ISO, it simply makes no sense to design these monsters.

Upvote 0
The only "worry" I have is that Canon is planning a "discount" 85mm IS-model like 35mm f/2 IS and will still have the f/1.2 as their high end offering. 50mm f/1.4 is sitting there already, so this could turns out not to be an "L" lens but to be a replacement for the 85mm f/1.8 instead.

Give me the quality of 35mm L II and I could not care less about the last half stop (not 100% true, but close enough).

Upvote 0
I would be very sad if canon discontinued the 85 1.2 lens, many others out there will feel the same. Hopefully they will not do that. IMO, making an 85 1.2 IS will be heavy and costly, maybe hard to build as well, so they split into two new lens:
- 85 1.2 III to be the new king in portrait photography with better focusing and optic improvement. F1.2 AF lens is something many other lens maker are dreaming of, why would Canon quit it. No way!
- 85 1.4 IS to compete head on with sigma Art and other third party guys in term of optical quality and beat them with IS as there is no 85mm 1.4 lens with IS.

However, this is just my dream, because it is costly to produce and maintain two high quality 85mm lens at the same time.( Sorry for my bad English.)

Upvote 0