Canon EF 85mm f/1.4L IS USM on the Way [CR3]

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
AvTvM said:
infared said:
This is an "automatic' aperture" lens. It keeps the aperture open and it closes down to your actual setting only at the moment of exposure. You can push in you DOF preview button in MF or AF mode to close does the lens aperture see your actual depth of field at any time.

"see" - yes.
But to my knowledge the camera will still AF with fully open aperture, no matter whether DOF preview button is pressed or not.

The only workaround I know of for the entire problem of focus shift on Canon cameras with EF lenses is using (different) AFMA settings at different apertures. Which is, what the guy asking seems to be doing. Of course it is not really an "elegant" solution in the field.

Quite honestly, I did not know that focus point could "shift" due to aperture change???
Is that a quirk of the mechanics of this particular lens? ...or is it a universal truth (physics) for all lenses?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
infared said:
You cannot get a brighter view through the viewfinder.

Actually, with lenses faster than f/2.8, you can get a brighter viewfinder by swapping out the stock focusing screen. A Super Precision Matte screen will show you the actual brightness and DoF of a fast prime, whereas the stock screen limits you to the brightness and DoF of ~f/2.8. The trade off is that slower lenses (f/5.6) will be darker with the precision matte screen than the stock screen.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
jeffa4444 said:
First the new 35mm f1.4 now a 85mm 1.4. These will be followed by a 24mm, 50mm and possibly a 135mm all at f1.4, why?

As Cine lenses they would all be T1.5 and consistent and maybe they will also throw in an 18mm f1.4 / T1.5 and form part of a new set for the flagship C700 with a full -frame / Vistavision sensor.
Hmmm if this means they will make also an EF 18mm f/1.4L then I am all in since it will be a super astro lens :)

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
jeffa4444 said:
First the new 35mm f1.4 now a 85mm 1.4. These will be followed by a 24mm, 50mm and possibly a 135mm all at f1.4, why?

* 24/1.4 II - done, will not be replaced any time soon. What for?
* 35/1.4 II - done
* 50/1.4 IS - way overdue
* 85/1.4 IS - coming
* 100/2.0 IS - would be really nice!
* 135/1.4 IS - can't see them making one of those

why? Because they want to get rid of f/1.2 lenses. Not enough profit in them. If they get away charging 80% of f/1.2 price for a much lower cost f/1.4 ... there you got the "why".

Upvote 0

vscd

5DC
Jan 12, 2013
Germany
infared said:
AvTvM said:
vscd said:
I'm curious... can't you focus stopped down? Never tried, but should work (with some Exposurecompensation if needed.

using manual focus: yes
in autofocus: no
Canon EOS bodies will always use wide open aperture in autofocus mode ... and EF lenses have no aperture ring to manually set aperture ...

With a modern Canon EF AF lens...on a Canon "mirrored" camera the aperture in the lens remains open to its widest aperture during MF or AF. That is so that you can see clearly at the brightest opening, see to compose and see the focus chosen (AF) or to see the point of focus that you create (MF).

That's known to us, I think. My question was if you're able to focus while holding down the DOF-Preview button. If it's not working you could stop down the lens and release the bajonett s bit, keeping the camera the aperture down without electronic contacts --> there you have your manual lens.

Greetings

Upvote 0
tron said:
AvTvM said:
jeffa4444 said:
* 24/1.4 II - done, will not be replaced any time soon. What for?
For worst coma ever...

Agreed. Plus the large vignette.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
Hjalmarg1 said:
mitchel2002 said:
cellomaster27 said:
Now THIS is exciting!!! 85mm (best focal distance ever for portraits - the 135mm), F1.4 (good enough for me), and with IS! With currently used systems for improved focus motor and build quality and improved optics, it'll smash the third party lenses! Hopefully it'll have weathersealing!
me 2
very exciting
Count me in! But I hope that it's not heavier than the current 85L, and priced around the Nikon/Sony rivals, filter isn't larger than 77mm 6mm filter and with reproduction ratio of 1:8 or better. Then, my 100L will be for sale.
I would definitely be in the market for the 85mm f1.4L IS but not at the expense of my 100mm f2.8L Macro. That lens is great for insects on plants & distance to get enough light, plus its a super sharp 100mm regular lens. Different tools for different jobs.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
darynthe said:
Ok, I am scared. That lens looks a lot like the 1.2. Are they discontinuing it? No!!! :'(
If my copy breaks I assume the price for used ones will sky rocket. I will have to be extra super careful with it now. The stuff of nightmares. I am just... it's the only lens I use.

Buy a couple now as backups. Use them once in a while to prevent lens atrophy. Should be good as long as the ef mount...

I'm guessing Canon will service them for another decade.

And maybe you'll like the never version better! Dam those tears, dude/tte.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
jeffa4444 said:
Hjalmarg1 said:
mitchel2002 said:
cellomaster27 said:
Now THIS is exciting!!! 85mm (best focal distance ever for portraits - the 135mm), F1.4 (good enough for me), and with IS! With currently used systems for improved focus motor and build quality and improved optics, it'll smash the third party lenses! Hopefully it'll have weathersealing!
me 2
very exciting
Count me in! But I hope that it's not heavier than the current 85L, and priced around the Nikon/Sony rivals, filter isn't larger than 77mm 6mm filter and with reproduction ratio of 1:8 or better. Then, my 100L will be for sale.
I would definitely be in the market for the 85mm f1.4L IS but not at the expense of my 100mm f2.8L Macro. That lens is great for insects on plants & distance to get enough light, plus its a super sharp 100mm regular lens. Different tools for different jobs.

Have a thorough look at the Zeiss 100 f2.0, a full stop brighter than your 100 L and does 1:2 mag ratio and is EPIC image quality. I've thought selling mine since it's manual focus only, but there is nothing good to replace it with, and when I try it "for one last time" it's just too good to get rid of.

Upvote 0

vscd

5DC
Jan 12, 2013
Germany
Viggo said:
jeffa4444 said:
Hjalmarg1 said:
mitchel2002 said:
cellomaster27 said:
me 2
very exciting

Have a thorough look at the Zeiss 100 f2.0, a full stop brighter than your 100 L and does 1:2 mag ratio and is EPIC image quality. I've thought selling mine since it's manual focus only, but there is nothing good to replace it with, and when I try it "for one last time" it's just too good to get rid of.

Guess why your Zeiss 100 f2.0 is one stop brighter than a 100L... because it offers no real 1:1 ratio. If it would off a real 1:1 is would be at a very low T-Stop (add a distancering to try out). In fact the Canon 100L 2.8 IS is way better than the Zeiss. It offers autofocus, stabilization and a full 1:1 Magnification for a lower price. I like Zeiss, but I would never take the old 100f2 over a 100L...

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
vscd said:
Viggo said:
jeffa4444 said:
Hjalmarg1 said:
mitchel2002 said:
cellomaster27 said:
me 2
very exciting

Guess why your Zeiss 100 f2.0 is one stop brighter than a 100L... because it offers no real 1:1 ratio. If it would off a real 1:1 is would be at a very low T-Stop (add a distancering to try out). In fact the Canon 100L 2.8 IS is way better than the Zeiss. It offers autofocus, stabilization and a full 1:1 Magnification for a lower price. I like Zeiss, but I would never take the old 100f2 over a 100L...

If you're always shooting 1:1, or a lot, sure! But for everything else, for example portraits, the Zeiss looks much nicer, the microcontrast and colors are much nicer with the Zeiss, and stop it down to 2.8 and there's hardly a contest. It's a reason they skipped the makroplanar name with the Milvus, people see it as a poor macrolens instead of one of the most epic "everything"-lens and portrait lens without a mfd.

Upvote 0