Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

gjones5252

EOS 80D
Sep 15, 2012
184
0
Re: Canon 85mm f/1.8

Just got this lens two days ago. It's amazing. I have shot the 1.2ii and personally I enjoy the focus speed and usability of this lens more. It's amazingly sharp and very accurate! It's better when stopped down but this only blatantly obvious on 100% crops. I feel bad I waited so long to get this lens. Primes just do it better. I can't wait till my first portrait session with this lens.
 

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
3,778
0
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
Re: Canon 85mm f/1.8

K-amps said:
RLPhoto said:
TexasBadger said:
I love this lens. It's small, fast, focuses much faster than the 1.2 and it is a great value. What's not to love?
I prefer the 100mm F/2.
I am thinking about both.... why the 100/2 over the 85/1.8 ?

Does anyone have comparison shots?
More Compression, smaller noses.
 
Re: Canon 85mm f/1.8

RLPhoto said:
K-amps said:
RLPhoto said:
TexasBadger said:
I love this lens. It's small, fast, focuses much faster than the 1.2 and it is a great value. What's not to love?
I prefer the 100mm F/2.
I am thinking about both.... why the 100/2 over the 85/1.8 ?

Does anyone have comparison shots?
More Compression, smaller noses.
Might also be the fact that the 100 has visibly better image quality than the 85. Look at TDP's ISOs and you'll see what I'm talking about.
 

The_Arsonist

EOS T7i
Feb 11, 2012
69
1
www.caseyroberts.net
Re: Canon 85mm f/1.8

K-amps said:
RLPhoto said:
TexasBadger said:
I love this lens. It's small, fast, focuses much faster than the 1.2 and it is a great value. What's not to love?
I prefer the 100mm F/2.
I am thinking about both.... why the 100/2 over the 85/1.8 ?

Does anyone have comparison shots?
CA was the big reason I chose the 100 f/2 over the 85 f/1.8. I never owned the 85, but borrowed it quite often. I also found the focus on the 100 to be better, but I suspect that was because I used the 85 before I had a body with AFMA. I doubt any of my shots would help you. Only reason I sold the 100 is because I acquired a 70-200 2.8, and the 100 now lives a block away with a friend, so it's still available to me. ;D
 

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
1,382
0
Re: Canon 85mm f/1.8

brianleighty said:
RLPhoto said:
K-amps said:
I am thinking about both.... why the 100/2 over the 85/1.8 ?
Does anyone have comparison shots?
More Compression, smaller noses.
Might also be the fact that the 100 has visibly better image quality than the 85. Look at TDP's ISOs and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Ive got both the 85 and 100, and they're both great IMHO. choose based on focal length, because that's practically the only difference. The 100mm might have a smidgen better IQ on test charts, but in real life I can't tell the difference. Both great. (just buy both, it's easier)
 

K-amps

EOR R
Aug 8, 2011
1,790
1
Indianapolis
Re: Canon 85mm f/1.8

scrappydog said:
K-amps said:
I am thinking about both.... why the 100/2 over the 85/1.8 ?
Does anyone have comparison shots?
William Castleman compared the 85/1.8, 100/2, and 135/2:
http://www.wlcastleman.com/equip/reviews/85_100_135/index.htm

At f/2, he states the 100 is noticeably softer than the other two.

EDIT:
He also compared the 85/1.2, 85/1.2 II, and 85/1.8, if you are interested:
http://www.wlcastleman.com/equip/reviews/85mm/index.htm
Very helpful, Thanks!
 

K-amps

EOR R
Aug 8, 2011
1,790
1
Indianapolis
Re: Canon 85mm f/1.8

RLPhoto said:
K-amps said:
RLPhoto said:
TexasBadger said:
I love this lens. It's small, fast, focuses much faster than the 1.2 and it is a great value. What's not to love?
I prefer the 100mm F/2.
I am thinking about both.... why the 100/2 over the 85/1.8 ?

Does anyone have comparison shots?
More Compression, smaller noses.
Also helpful... since I felt larger noses in the 85Lii...

Now that we are in the 100mm territory and F2... How much do I gain when I have a 70-200 mk.ii f2.8 , I wonder...
 

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
3,778
0
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
Re: Canon 85mm f/1.8

K-amps said:
RLPhoto said:
K-amps said:
RLPhoto said:
TexasBadger said:
I love this lens. It's small, fast, focuses much faster than the 1.2 and it is a great value. What's not to love?
I prefer the 100mm F/2.
I am thinking about both.... why the 100/2 over the 85/1.8 ?

Does anyone have comparison shots?
More Compression, smaller noses.
Also helpful... since I felt larger noses in the 85Lii...

Now that we are in the 100mm territory and F2... How much do I gain when I have a 70-200 mk.ii f2.8 , I wonder...
Less weight, Less bulk and Less stares.
 

leftnose

EOS M50
Apr 20, 2012
47
0
Re: Canon 85mm f/1.8

RLPhoto said:
K-amps said:
RLPhoto said:
K-amps said:
RLPhoto said:
TexasBadger said:
I love this lens. It's small, fast, focuses much faster than the 1.2 and it is a great value. What's not to love?
I prefer the 100mm F/2.
I am thinking about both.... why the 100/2 over the 85/1.8 ?

Does anyone have comparison shots?
More Compression, smaller noses.
Also helpful... since I felt larger noses in the 85Lii...

Now that we are in the 100mm territory and F2... How much do I gain when I have a 70-200 mk.ii f2.8 , I wonder...
Less weight, Less bulk and Less stares.
1-stop faster for "more" motion freeze.
 

ablearcher

EOS 80D
Sep 23, 2010
152
0
Canada
Sporgon said:
I'm going to commit sacrilege on CR:

I think I prefer this lens to the 135L :-[
LOL. Sacrilege indeed ;D I actually had 135L in my bag when I was shooting that day. I think 85mm is a more workable lens for kids. 135L might be better in other respects but it requires more time for setup. Sometimes keeping distance is great, especially for candids. But if you are working with posed shots for kids then I prefer to be a bit closer - more communication with the subject and more control. Faster angles too. I always liked the 85mm 1.8 but now on FF I just love it.
 

TexasBadger

EOS 80D
Jul 8, 2012
142
0
Texas
I've had the 85 f/1.8 for almost ten years and I do not hesitate to use it when I need the 85mm focal length. I had a friend use it at a scouting court of honor and it focused so fast on my 5Dc that he thought the af wasn't working. He was used to the 24-70 f/2.8 L on his 7d. He was so used to focus hunting he was blown away. Best value lens in my kit.
 

drmikeinpdx

Celebrating 20 years of naughty photography!
Since I got my 5D III, with it's incredible autofocus system, I can now use my prime lenses to good effect. One that has become a favorite is the 85mm 1.8 USM lens. I shoot mostly people these days who are moving and posing, so a light, compact lens is very helpful. This shot was at 1/200, ISO 200 and F/4. The light was very flat due to the bright overcast sky, so I increased the contrast in Lightroom. I can do so much in Lightroom now that I really question the need to have heavy, expensive prime lenses that give a bit better contrast or color rendering than the mid-range primes like the 85/1.8. I have a 135L that is fun to use, but I can't pick out the 135L images from the 85/1.8 images without cheating.

This is not one of the better images from this shoot, but the model was quite the exhibitionist and there weren't many images suitable for this forum. ;)

 

leftnose

EOS M50
Apr 20, 2012
47
0
drmikeinpdx said:
I have a 135L that is fun to use, but I can't pick out the 135L images from the 85/1.8 images without cheating.
The way I can tell the difference between the 85/1.8 and the 135/2 is the bokeh. The 85's bokeh is a teeny tiny itsy bit nervous where as the 135's is smooth as butter.

That said, I love the 85/1.8; it's a true gem.
 

jdramirez

EOS 5D MK IV
May 31, 2011
2,944
0
42
drmikeinpdx said:
Since I got my 5D III, with it's incredible autofocus system, I can now use my prime lenses to good effect. One that has become a favorite is the 85mm 1.8 USM lens. I shoot mostly people these days who are moving and posing, so a light, compact lens is very helpful. This shot was at 1/200, ISO 200 and F/4. The light was very flat due to the bright overcast sky, so I increased the contrast in Lightroom. I can do so much in Lightroom now that I really question the need to have heavy, expensive prime lenses that give a bit better contrast or color rendering than the mid-range primes like the 85/1.8. I have a 135L that is fun to use, but I can't pick out the 135L images from the 85/1.8 images without cheating.

This is not one of the better images from this shoot, but the model was quite the exhibitionist and there weren't many images suitable for this forum. ;)
Are those American Flag undies? I'm feeling more patriotic now.
 

jdramirez

EOS 5D MK IV
May 31, 2011
2,944
0
42
On Saturday I bought a 85mm f/1.8 USM for $275... a steal. Afma is +1... but it could easily be 0... but I'm going to spend part of an afternoon to get a result of zero.

I really like it so far, but Sunday I was sick and today I had work and a dr's appt... so hopefully I get to run it through its paces this weekend.