Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

drmikeinpdx

Celebrating 20 years of model photography!
Re: Canon 85mm f/1.8

I've had an 85 1.8 and a 100 f 2.0 for a while, but found them of limited use on my 5D classic due to the erratic autofocus system on that body. I recently got a 5D Mark III and it has transformed these lenses into useful portrait tools due to the much more accurate autofocus.

I'm still getting a feel for how these lenses work on the new body.

Here is a shot I took while walking around in Portland a few days ago with the 85 mm at 1/320, f 2.8, ISO 12,500. I cropped it about 15% in width and height. I brightened up the colors and contrast a bit with Lightroom, since it was shot under a bridge in very low light.

Attachments

• J79A1740-1000.jpg
    J79A1740-1000.jpg
    417.8 KB · Views: 3,190
Upvote 0

drmikeinpdx

Celebrating 20 years of model photography!

One negative thing about both the 85 and 100 USM lenses is the chromatic aberration. You can see it in this focus testing shot with the 85 wide open. The 100 is exactly the same. The squares are each one inch and I think I was about 8 feet away from the focus target which is the black horizontal band. You can see the purple fringing in front of the focus point.

The target is a cardboard 6 foot x 3 foot sewing layout mat that I place on the floor of my studio. I use the studio strobes to eliminate camera movement. I focus on the black band which is simply a piece of friction tape. If I'm doing Micro Focus Adjust, I'll use a tripod.

It is super-easy to find out where your lens has focused and if you take the time to line everything up precisely you can find problems like tilted lens elements that cause zones of blur.

I've had a lot of luck with this inexpensive system. I like it better than the popular focus testing units where the target is only a short distance from the lens. With this big target I can test at real life shooting distances.

Does the chromatic aberration affect my use of the 85 and 100 lenses? No, not at all. It goes away if you stop down one stop. Also, the zone where you get the purple fringing is in front of your subject. What is usually in front of your subject? Air. So there is nothing there to be aberrated, so to speak.

BTW, both the 85 and 100 needed zero MFA. :)

Attachments

• J79A0056-1000.jpg
    J79A0056-1000.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 3,219
Upvote 0

I'm a big fan of the 85/1.8 as well.

Shot on my 5D2 at ISO 3200.

Fl0iH.jpg

vJ6Zi.jpg

Bang for your buck, it's probably the best lens Canon makes.

Upvote 0

It's a little different for each photo, but in general (in Lightroom) for the photo of the little girl:

GWXsV.jpg

Don't be afraid to be extra generous with your sliders, especially in tone curve. Faded color does wonders for portraits, just don't go overboard.

Also, while being generous in tone curve, be frugal with split toning. A little bit goes a long way.

Upvote 0
C

Canon-F1

after having used the 85mm f1.8 for some time i read the photozone review and wanted to test the 100mm f2.0..... i sold the 85mm f1.8 after my testing.

my 100mm f2.0 has WAY less purple fringing then my 85mm f1.8 and is a bit sharper also.
there are sure variations from lens to lens and i can only speak about my two tested lenses.

but i also like that the 100mm f2.0 compresses a bit more then the 85mm.

i see no noticable difference in the bokeh.

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com

RobT said:
It's a little different for each photo, but in general (in Lightroom) for the photo of the little girl:

GWXsV.jpg

Don't be afraid to be extra generous with your sliders, especially in tone curve. Faded color does wonders for portraits, just don't go overboard.

Also, while being generous in tone curve, be frugal with split toning. A little bit goes a long way.

JPGs?

Upvote 0
G

Gothmoth

scrappydog said:
William Castleman compared the 85/1.8, 100/2, and 135/2:
http://www.wlcastleman.com/equip/reviews/85_100_135/index.htm

At f/2, he states the 100 is noticeably softer than the other two.

noticeable....? i doubt that is true when you compare a few lenses not only one sample.

i can´t notice any difference in sharpness in the center.
borders do look a bit better on the 100mm @f2 compared to the 85 @f2... but you have to pixelpeep testcharts.

but i see less purple fringing with the 100mm f2.0.

i have tested a dozend samples of these lenses over the years... as they are my prefered portrait lenses and i recommend and sell them often.

you cant go wrong with either. :)

mtf.gif

mtf.gif

www.photozone.de

Upvote 0