Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM

paul13walnut5 said:
It's a great wee lens isn't it? Almost a shame there isn't an EF-s equivalent.
Would be interesting to see a side by side comparison with the 22mm f/2.8 and the 35mm f/2.0 IS @ f/2.8 or the 40mm wide open.

I've used it very little, but I would say that it is certainly quite similar to the EF 40mm in use. It may have a hair more CA wide open, but I haven't compared them head to head. Still, it stands as a pretty huge bargain, considering I got the lens, body, and little flash for $300.

Upvote 0
Jul 14, 2012
Here's an obligatory kitten photo - a JPEG straight out of the camera (I'll fiddle with the RAW file later) to which I've done nothing but make it smaller to post here. Why am I posting this? Because I was rather impressed by how the camera coped with an unplanned moment and, in auto white balance mode, with difficult light (grey from the window to the left, bluish from a monitor in front, slightly pink from a lamp with a fluorescent bulb to my front right). It's early morning, I'm in a bathrobe, kitten decides to snuggle against my arm, three FF dslrs (don't ask...) are sitting next to me but none with a lens with a short enough MFD to be of any use (besides, I can't really operate them at a funny angle single-handed), but amongst them is my new EOS-M + 22mm lens; and with my "wrong" hand (it was in my right hand, I'm left-handed) only I was able to get it in the right place, at the right angle, and focus it in the right place - and, to my pleasant surprise, the camera more-or-less got the colors right (on my monitor, at any rate) and did a rather good macro-ish job of very close placement (makes said kitten look much older than his four months) without weird distortion. It could be sharper (and perhaps would have been if both hands were available and/or it had IS), but still.... (ISO 250, f/2, 1/30 sec in case anyone cares.)

Attachments

• IMG_0162a.JPG
    IMG_0162a.JPG
    266.5 KB · Views: 2,976
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
For $299 for interchangeable lens and body (I got the free 90EX too) this thing is insanely good.

CA is pretty bad and AF is VERY particular with regards modes and selections, it can be very fast, it can be very bad, but play with the settings and I have found face detect with tracking and constant AF to be very good. Oh and touch screen for shutter release is way way faster then the shutter button.

Here is the kind of silly shot I just never took without a pocketable camera I liked. 22mm f2.

Attachments

• 15678.jpg
    15678.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 2,862
Upvote 0
Took the M for a walk around London today. Didn't want to bring all the expensive gear because had we been able to go to the Buckingham Palace, we have to check our bag over there. The M perform superbly. the 22mm is sharp at F2. The PS form factor also makes it easier to take candid shots, and not nearly as intimidating. In fact, in London, I just look like any of the tourists since so many of them have small DSLRs with them already :).

Two + 1 by BoneDC, on Flickr

Just the Two of Us by BoneDC, on Flickr

How Can I Help You? by BoneDC, on Flickr

Are we Done Yet? by BoneDC, on Flickr

Shopping by BoneDC, on Flickr

Almost Home by BoneDC, on Flickr

Upvote 0