Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 Coming for Photokina [CR2/CR3]

May 11, 2017
jolyonralph said:
beachcolonist said:
Time proven focal lengths that satisfy for their field of view are 24, 35, 50, 85 .... What is the motivation to create un classic, questionable angles of view at for instance 32mm? It's absurd, and wrong.

Let's take a variety of photos at 'classic' angles such as 24mm and 35mm and 'questionable' angles such as 32mm and 29mm and get you to tell us which ones are classic and which ones are wrong.

Because clearly the wrong ones will stand out like a sore thumb.

If these in classic focal lengths are so questionable, why do we have zooms and why do so many people buy them?

Upvote 0
BillB said:
jolyonralph said:
beachcolonist said:
Time proven focal lengths that satisfy for their field of view are 24, 35, 50, 85 .... What is the motivation to create un classic, questionable angles of view at for instance 32mm? It's absurd, and wrong.

Let's take a variety of photos at 'classic' angles such as 24mm and 35mm and 'questionable' angles such as 32mm and 29mm and get you to tell us which ones are classic and which ones are wrong.

Because clearly the wrong ones will stand out like a sore thumb.

If these in classic focal lengths are so questionable, why do we have zooms and why do so many people buy them?

Just my reasons to use zooms:
[list type=decimal]
[*]UWA-Zoom: no UW primes were available at the time I wanted a UWA zoom for APS-C (EF-S 10-22)
[*]Tele-Zoom: Like to avoid changing lenses due to sensor dirt: EF 70-200 f/4 non-IS, used primarily as a convenient way to shoot focal lengths of 70 / 100 / 135 / 200 mm. I like to set a desired focal length and use the zoom afterwards like a prime.
[*]200mm lens, compact with IS: only option is now the EF 70-200 f/4 IS with some shorter focal lengths available if needed.
[/list]

If I cannot change my location, a zoom is welcome to make the right framing before composition to get the maximum sensor area of the wanted shot.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
  • mb66energy said:
    • Tele-Zoom: Like to avoid changing lenses due to sensor dirt: EF 70-200 f/4 non-IS, used primarily as a convenient way to shoot focal lengths of 70 / 100 / 135 / 200 mm. I like to set a desired focal length and use the zoom afterwards like a prime.
    • 200mm lens, compact with IS: only option is now the EF 70-200 f/4 IS with some shorter focal lengths available if needed.
    If I cannot change my location, a zoom is welcome to make the right framing before composition to get the maximum sensor area of the wanted shot.

Interesting. My usage of lenses is exactly opposite.

* I only buy and use primes if there is no zoom available .. mostly when i really want a faster lens than what is available in zooms (f/1.8, 1.4).

* i only use my zooms like a prime when i am focal length limited .. stuck at maximum or minimum focal length and no wide/longer (zoom) lens at hand.

hehehehehe ;D

Upvote 0