Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM Confirmed

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>We <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-ef-m-32mm-f-1-4-announcement-coming-for-photokina-cr2-cr3/">reported last month that an EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM</a> was coming ahead of Photokina in August of 2018, and it looks like that is now confirmed according to Nokishita.</p>
<p>Other sites had reported that a EF-M 32mm f/1.8 STM was on the way, but it turns out our original speed on the lens was correct.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
neuroanatomist said:
Looking forward to it!

Canon's fastest prime for APS-C cameras, seems to speak to a growing level of commitment to the M system.

I wonder if they will go back to the metal construction (barrel and mount) used on the first three EF-M lenses?

Hope so. The plastic construction isn't bad, but I prefer the metal.

I am probably in on this lens as well. Assuming the vignetting is not horrible and it is reasonably sharp the f/1.4 will be the selling point for it over the 28 mm.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Looking forward to it!

Canon's fastest prime for APS-C cameras, seems to speak to a growing level of commitment to the M system.

I wonder if they will go back to the metal construction (barrel and mount) used on the first three EF-M lenses?

Here's hoping it will be metal, high end, and non-pancake.

Upvote 0
That will be a good compliment for the Mitakon Zhongyi Speedmaster 35mm f0.95 I have! Also will boost my confidence in Canon's commitment to the M. Next I would love to see a 50-55mm f1.8 or 1.4. Then maybe I won't buy the Rokinon 50 1.2. But I will still continue to add FD lenses to my line up, since I can use those with any mirrorless body, maybe even a Canon full frame. And I still think Canon could eventually replace the Rebel line up with the M line. Most people would pick the smaller M over the bigger and bulkier DSLR if the pricing was similar. The DSLR's life is winding down...

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Really exciting news for the EF-M series. I know we shouldn't expect something quite like the Fuji line-up with weathersealing/etc, but we've never had a EF-S f/1.4 lens from Canon, so this is already a great sign for what's to come.

Definitely has peaked my interest in the M series, though I think I'll still be a holdout until I see what Canon's plans for fullframe mirrorless look like.

Upvote 0