Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM Confirmed

blackcoffee17 said:
traveller said:
Why are EF-M lenses always STM rather than the nano-USM appearing on EF and EF-S mount? What are the advantages of STM type motors?

They are probably cheaper than USM motors and work well with DPAF and are very smooth for video AF.

Cheaper I can certainly believe. Lots of the video crowd seem to be extolling the virtues of nano-USM (i.e. using the DPAF system), but I haven’t seen a proper technical paper from Canon explaining the technology.

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
Finally a good prime lens for EF-M mount from Canon. While I may not buy this at all I am sure this will be a good walk around lens for a quite a few folks. Since this is a leak from Nokis.... I believe this will come out soon.

Sometimes I think that Canon may completely switch to EF-M lenses even for Full Frame MILC at the same time they releasing new EF lenses puzzles me. Obviously switching to EF-M mount will please some and piss off a lot of people but in the long run Canon can sell millions of EF-M lenses. We will have to wait and see I guess.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
goldenhusky said:
Finally a good prime lens for EF-M mount from Canon. While I may not buy this at all I am sure this will be a good walk around lens for a quite a few folks. Since this is a leak from Nokis.... I believe this will come out soon.

Sometimes I think that Canon may completely switch to EF-M lenses even for Full Frame MILC at the same time they releasing new EF lenses puzzles me. Obviously switching to EF-M mount will please some and piss off a lot of people but in the long run Canon can sell millions of EF-M lenses. We will have to wait and see I guess.

How does the 22 f/2 not quality as a good prime lens? Not fast enough? I know I'm not alone in this query.

Upvote 0
slclick said:
goldenhusky said:

How does the 22 f/2 not quality as a good prime lens? Not fast enough? I know I'm not alone in this query.

Good is relative. For its low price and size, it is ok as a budget prime. But I did not like how it rendered (and I had 2 copies of it), that goes for most budget pancake primes - pictures come out looking flat and lacks good contrast. I'm coming from large higher price primes.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
woodman411 said:
slclick said:
goldenhusky said:

Good is relative. For its low price and size, it is ok as a budget prime. But I did not like how it rendered (and I had 2 copies of it), that goes for most budget pancake primes - pictures come out looking flat and lacks good contrast. I'm coming from large higher price primes.

Interesting. I find that the 22/2 renders quite well, given the limitations of an APS-C sensor. I'm coming from full frame cameras and very large, really high price primes, like the 600mm f/4L IS II.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
neuroanatomist said:
Looking forward to it!

Canon's fastest prime for APS-C cameras, seems to speak to a growing level of commitment to the M system.

I wonder if they will go back to the metal construction (barrel and mount) used on the first three EF-M lenses?

I'm wondering if the M mount cameras will supplant the EF-S mount cameras and those cameras will go away? What do you think? I know very little about the M system. Really, nothing. Just wondering.

I've never really understood the reason for an EF-s mount at all since it will also mount an EF lens. It just seems as though Canon could drop that mount, but still make the affordable lenses for the APSC DSLR line... with EF mounts.

Upvote 0
CanonFanBoy said:
I've never really understood the reason for an EF-s mount at all since it will also mount an EF lens. It just seems as though Canon could drop that mount, but still make the affordable lenses for the APSC DSLR line... with EF mounts.

the physical mount on the camera is EF, the mount on the lenses is EF-S ;)
EF-S lenses (from canon) have the rear element going inside the camera body, behind the mount plane. that's how they managed to make the 24mm pancake. if you put an EF-S lens on a full-frame body, the mirror will hit the rear element of the lens

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2015
CanonFanBoy said:
I'm wondering if the M mount cameras will supplant the EF-S mount cameras and those cameras will go away? What do you think? I know very little about the M system. Really, nothing. Just wondering.

I think at some time perspective the EF-M will dominate over EF-S but it will take more than five years probably ten.

The S in EF-S means short back focus. It helps making wide angle lenses. Can for example had an affordable wide angle zoom five years before Nikon and the Nikon version fits only the newest bodies. While Sigma makes crop lenses for EF mount it would just add confusion for Canon to do so. For example the 55-250 mm zoom does not utilize the short back focus. It still is EF-S for the simplicity of the compatibility rules.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
blackcoffee17 said:
Canon is pretty slow in releasing everything. How can Sigma, a much smaller company to develop so many great lenses in short time and for multiple mounts?

You mean just three tilt&shift lenses, a 85/1.4 IS, and the EF-S 35/2.8 macro in an already crowded lineup of lenses? It also means to have to fit the new lenses into the production pipeline, and Canon is also under an effort to automate lens productions to a great extent, which may imply to not add too many lenses until done.

Even if some of these lenses are not of interest to you, they are still new lenses developed and delivered.

Sigma has more gaps to fill. With electronic mounts, supporting multiple mounts is easier - the optical/mechanical design does not need to change.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
woodman411 said:
slclick said:
goldenhusky said:

Interesting. I find that the 22/2 renders quite well, given the limitations of an APS-C sensor. I'm coming from full frame cameras and very large, really high price primes, like the 600mm f/4L IS II.

I guess everyone is different, if you think cheap-o pancakes "renders quite well" given your full-frame and L prime background, maybe you don't need full-frame and L primes. For me, going from crop to full-frame was a very noticeable difference, and then cheap-o primes to L primes was very noticeable too. In fact, looking back at the shots I took with my m6 + efm 22, I can't really stand the pictures, makes me shudder at how bad the iq is.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
woodman411 said:
neuroanatomist said:
woodman411 said:
slclick said:
goldenhusky said:

I guess everyone is different, if you think cheap-o pancakes "renders quite well" given your full-frame and L prime background, maybe you don't need full-frame and L primes. For me, going from crop to full-frame was a very noticeable difference, and then cheap-o primes to L primes was very noticeable too. In fact, looking back at the shots I took with my m6 + efm 22, I can't really stand the pictures, makes me shudder at how bad the iq is.

I have a feeling this is a case of copy to copy variance and you got the short end of the stick. The EF-M 22 is widely regarded as a fantastic lens. No matter the size, price or quality of materials. We all know very well that every so often you get someone chiming in that they got a dud of everyone else's favorite glass, be it L or not. Sorry you haven't had the joyful experience the rest of us had. It changes nothing for those of us who have a good one.

Upvote 0
Woodman411: I jumped from M line to Nikon FX for certain reasons (mostly image quality) and then back for better focusing for my needs. If there was even slightest downgrade to how the 22mm draws compared to good FF/FX , it was the smallest aspect of image quality downgrade in my book. So I also wonder why do you "hate that lens so much". It's so good for what it does, and what it is....

Upvote 0