Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Not entirely as wild about the third one, but those are all really great shots. I agree about image quality. This thing isn't perfect, especially toward the long end, but it's outrageously good for the price. Pictures like those remind me that my money is probably better spent in classes (or on trips to places worth photographing) than on more gear, which is kind of too bad since I like gear.

Upvote 0

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
Policar said:
Not entirely as wild about the third one, but those are all really great shots. I agree about image quality. This thing isn't perfect, especially toward the long end, but it's outrageously good for the price. Pictures like those remind me that my money is probably better spent in classes (or on trips to places worth photographing) than on more gear, which is kind of too bad since I like gear.

I think that most of our contributors and viewers are interested mainly in gear. That includes me!. I love fine tools, no matter if its a camera or lens, or woodworking, or any tool.

However, in the final analysis, its what you do with the tools that counts.

Upvote 0
J

jnskyliner34

I find this lens quite sharp at f/8-11 :)

1000D + 18-55 kitlens

Barossa Valley. Adelaide, South Australia
5380285889_947003c872_z.jpg

Makati City Skyline. Manila, Philippines
5312484680_6839192c1a_z.jpg

Flying above Australia
5384506808_6a21e2610a_z.jpg

Upvote 0
I

irphotorumor

scalesusa said:
I think that most of our contributors and viewers are interested mainly in gear. That includes me!. I love fine tools, no matter if its a camera or lens, or woodworking, or any tool.

However, in the final analysis, its what you do with the tools that counts.

I couldn't have put it together better myself. Count me in.
I've enjoyed reading your experiences guys, and lovely shots out there too! Thanks,
Ivan

http://irbque.blogspot.com/

PS. I would love to post some 6x6 shots here per (tangentially) our earlier discussion but it would be inappropriate for this thread.

Upvote 0
I

irphotorumor

My milk frother replacement finally arrived, and so to celebrate the affair, I sprang for the kit lens.
35mm @ f/4 +1/2 (max(min?) for the focal length).
The central focal point (square) was bigger than the opening in the foam. Focus achieved.

Now that we all mangled the words under our breaths that lens quality doesn't matter for good photography, in my upcoming post, I will try to make the kit lens squirm under the scrutiny of other glass :)!
Thanks,
Ivan

http://irbque.blogspot.com/

Attachments

• IMG_9602_cr.jpg
    IMG_9602_cr.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 1,085
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I met a girl while travelling in Bali, we headed to Hong Kong together. All she had was a T1i and 18-55 and wanted some shots of the Hong Kong skyline at night. It's been eons since I used a wide lens that slow!

These 2 shots are from a boat crossing the river (forget the name of it).

Attachments

• 1002.jpg
    1002.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,148
  • 1003.jpg
    1003.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 1,120
Upvote 0

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
Canon Rumors said:
These 2 shots are from a boat crossing the river (forget the name of it).

That'd be the Star Ferry? Love the shots of the island, last time i was in HK i thought i'd film the light show in full HD for the hell of it. Even my 15-85 wasn't wide enough to fit it all in, looks like next time i go back i gotta buy a 10-22...

Upvote 0