Canon EF-S 35mm f/2.8 M IS STM Coming April 5, 2017 [CR3]

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Re: Canon EF-S 35mm f/2.8 M IS STM Coming April 5, 2017

neuroanatomist said:
photonius said:
The reversible lens mount patent from a few months gives the most likely explanation.
It's a normal 35mm lens when used in the "normal" orientation.
Then you invert the lens, and it's a reverse mounted (EF-S) 35 mm lens that works for macro.
Was a very common method in old manual lens film days to get some macro with a 50mm lens by
screwing a mount adapter into the front filter thread and reverse mounting it.

35mm sounds like a good focal length to do this, and the adapter is right integrated into the lens, so
it's "M" Macro, and novel. Just needs the electronic contacts in the front that will be covered by some removable ring/hood-like thing. with 35mm, it should give 1:1 magnification, or even a bit more. Autofocus range in M mode will of course be limited.

Well, I was thinking M for monochrome, a lens that doesn't transmit color. But your suggestion makes much, much more sense.

Why oh why would I seriously doubt that an EF-S lens would all of a sudden have a bizarre combination of vintage lens stylings and advanced electronics? Wrong segment. I'm banking on the M designation being a typo in 3....2....1...

Upvote 0

Just my 2c:

"M" should be related to "movie" to try to differentiate itself from the already great 35mm F2.0 IS.

Ideally, it would take advantage of the Power Zoom module. I'm not sure how do, since it is not a zoom.

Maybe better for rack focusing, like in the movies?

The other option, as someone said, would be "mechanical" as in mechanical aperture. Again, that would

help lots of moviemakers who desire more creative control.

We'll see.

Upvote 0

Crosswind

The bigger your Canon, the smaller your Cannon :)
Feb 2, 2015
Austria

Woody said:
f/2.8 is too slow!!!!

For a 35mm APS-C lens, that's true! A bit on the slow side, especially when looking at the Sigma 18-35mm 1.8 zoom (heavy lens, but still...).

As for the focal lenght; even on FF, 35mm is barely considered a wideangle...

Btw. all suggestions about it being a macro are interesting I agree, but didn't the CR guy mention at some point that the new prime won't be a specialty lens like a macro? That's why I thought it ought to be something else. And not only because of that, but also because if it was a macro-capable lens, Canon always puts the "macro" designation in the product name tag - and not something like "M".

Upvote 0

Crosswind

Feb 2, 2015
Austria

mb66energy said:
As a video oriented lens:

What about "M" for Microphone - small lens with two condensor microphone capsules for superior sound quality? - Transmission of the audio data via BlueTooth?

LOL! Made my day ;D

Yeah who knows... :D

Upvote 0

I'm interested.

For APS-C users like me, it could be that prime on your camera most of the time, with the 55-250 and 10-18 zooms in the bag for focal lengths up and below for a capable, budget/value system. Sure, F2 or 1.4 would've been nice but 2.8 is fine.

I like little primes and not being super fast would hopefully keep down its size. This could replace swapping between the 24 STM and 50 STM, which also happen to both not be stabilized.

I'm guessing M for macro-lite with a switch for 0.7X max magnification like on the 24-70 f4 IS but they're not spelling out Macro to deflect comparison with the EF-M 28mm Macro IS with its built-in light and 1.2X "super macro" mode.

Upvote 0

Crosswind

Feb 2, 2015
Austria

Y'know what, "M" actually stands for "Meooow!", because it was especially designed for Don Haines to make even better cat pictures. The lens will be so super-plushy and extremely silent, cats will love it!

Also, you can use the lens as a (kind of) emergency cat-food-bowl with just one click (it will automatically extend for this purpose). Very useful indeed, especially when you're out in the field, carrying a cat with you in the backpack.

Upvote 0

PeterT

EOS 80D
Jan 19, 2017

So it should be 35mm 2.8 IS and "M"ysterious.

There are exactly zero nice (in IQ wide open) wide angle (22mm or less) reasonable fast (f/2 or f/1.8 ) AF primes optimized for APS-C (in weight, size and price).
But Canon releases instead a 35mm lens with some Mysterious specialty (even if there is a 35mm f/2 IS which is suitable enough for APS-C in IQ, aperture, size, price).
I cannot imagine that there would be a smaller market for the above mentioned wide angle lens(es) than for a 35mm f/2.8 IS regardless what stands M for.
So they keep "protecting" their full frame bodies and lenses against APS-C. Even if this strategy will force some users (like me, who never considered going FF because of size, weight and price) to leave Canon completely or stop buying anything new from Canon.

So what are the options for users like me (wanting nice not too big primes for APS-C) who do not want to go full frame?
Fuji? Sony? Olympus/Panasonic?
But, I like OVF... so no option? Just to stay with my old gear not investing to anything new?

Upvote 0

hne

Gear limits your creativity
Jan 8, 2016

PeterT said:
So it should be 35mm 2.8 IS and "M"ysterious.

There are exactly zero nice (in IQ wide open) wide angle (22mm or less) reasonable fast (f/2 or f/1.8 ) AF primes optimized for APS-C (in weight, size and price).
But Canon releases instead a 35mm lens with some Mysterious specialty (even if there is a 35mm f/2 IS which is suitable enough for APS-C in IQ, aperture, size, price).
I cannot imagine that there would be a smaller market for the above mentioned wide angle lens(es) than for a 35mm f/2.8 IS regardless what stands M for.
So they keep "protecting" their full frame bodies and lenses against APS-C. Even if this strategy will force some users (like me, who never considered going FF because of size, weight and price) to leave Canon completely or stop buying anything new from Canon.

So what are the options for users like me (wanting nice not too big primes for APS-C) who do not want to go full frame?
But, I like OVF... so no option? Just to stay with my old gear not investing to anything new?

Nikon DX AF-S 35mmm 1:1.8 G costs $200, is reasonably small, optimized for APS-C and works with cameras with OVF.

Upvote 0

PeterT

EOS 80D
Jan 19, 2017

hne said:
PeterT said:

Nikon DX AF-S 35mmm 1:1.8 G costs $200, is reasonably small, optimized for APS-C and works with cameras with OVF.

Unfortunately, it is not in the FL interval I was talking about (less than 22mm, i.e. ideally one 22mm, one 15mm and maybe one 10 or 12mm).
35mm can be easily covered on Canon, too.

Upvote 0