Canon EF-S 35mm f/2.8 Macro IS STM Images & Specs Leak Out

Jul 21, 2010
Re: Canon EF-S 35mm f/2.8 Macro IS STM Images & Specs Leak Out

SkynetTX said:
When I take macro photos, I try to focus before I turn the camera on and only turn it on if both the focus and the composition seems to be ok for me. Witn an STM (focus-by-wire) lens this is impossible.

Many people, myself included, find that focusing for macro photography is best accomplished using manual focus and Live View with the image magnified. Kinda hard to do that with the camera turned off, not to mention the fact that for most dSLRs the on/off switch isn't a 'soft touch' which means turning on the camera will alter it's position, and hence alter critical focus with the typical ultra-thin macro DoF. But to each, their own.

Upvote 0

Don Haines said:
neuroanatomist said:
Don Haines said:
"Lens construction: 6 10 sheets group"

DO elements?

What would make you think that?
What do they mean by 6 10 sheets group? Could a sheet be a DO element?

they mean "bad translation"

Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2014

SkynetTX said:
In my opinion, if the specifications are correct, this can be one of the most useless lenses Canon ever created. :(
Okay, it's a 1:1 macro. But if the MFD is 13 cm it's only good for flowers. There's no way you can get this close to any beetle, not to mention butterflies (!), unless they're dead. But who wants to take photos of dead beetles? Me not!
It's even worse that it has STM :'( motor so it does not support real FTM. :'( When I take macro photos, I try to focus before I turn the camera on and only turn it on if both the focus and the composition seems to be ok for me. Witn an STM (focus-by-wire) lens this is impossible.
And I really don't get it. :-[ What makes people think that macro means that you have to or want to put the lens into the subject's mouth? :-\ A telephoto macro (between 250 and 300 mm) with 1:1 magnification and about 0.75 to 1 meter MFD would be more useful for beetles, butterflies, lizards and many spiders. :D
So this is another lens I won't buy ever. :(

Huh. I could see the complaint here, but I've photographed a whole lot of beetles, ants, flys, even, with a similar macro. None of them dead, most of them stood pretty still. Even the spiders I've photographed have remained nice and still.

Maybe you're really loud when approaching insects?

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

neuroanatomist said:
SkynetTX said:
When I take macro photos, I try to focus before I turn the camera on and only turn it on if both the focus and the composition seems to be ok for me. Witn an STM (focus-by-wire) lens this is impossible.

Many people, myself included, find that focusing for macro photography is best accomplished using manual focus and Live View with the image magnified. Kinda hard to do that with the camera turned off, not to mention the fact that for most dSLRs the on/off switch isn't a 'soft touch' which means turning on the camera will alter it's position, and hence alter critical focus with the typical ultra-thin macro DoF. But to each, their own.

[chuckle]

That said, I agree with Skynet that FBW is disappointing for macro work -- FTM mechanical focusing is strongly preferred.

But, considering that this is a relatively inexpensive EF-S lens for casual food work, I get why the more serious macro focusing performance you'd expect from the 100L, 180L will not be offered here.

- A

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

Don Haines said:
neuroanatomist said:
Don Haines said:
"Lens construction: 6 10 sheets group"

DO elements?

What would make you think that?
What do they mean by 6 10 sheets group? Could a sheet be a DO element?

I'm sure it's just bad machine translation for 6 groups and 10 elements. Google Translate returns, "Lens configuration: 6 groups 10 sheets (glass mold aspherical lens 1 sheet)." FWIW, using Google Translate on the canon.jp product page for the EF-S 60mm Macro suggests that the lens configuration is '8 groups 12 pieces' and that the number of diaphragm blades is '7 sheets'. Since it's unlikely that the iris diaphragm is made up of DO elements, it would seem 'sheets' is a common mistranslation for some Japanese characters used in camera specs.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

Also, it would appear the new and mysterious 'M' moniker we painstakingly scrutinized about is officially not happening if Digicame and Nokish.ita's leaked pictures are indeed real (which they have had a strong track record of being).

See pic again: I don't see 'M' in isolation (as a component of the lens name) anywhere in that picture.

(I think we all knew it meant macro. I was just curious to see if Canon was changing it's naming conventions.)

- A

Upvote 0

trulandphoto said:
This could be a fun standard lens for an SL1. I don't use my SL1 much but I might bring it with me more with this lens on it.

My SL1 already has two fun standard lenses: the 24 pancake and the 40 pancake, depending on the mood. A part from the macro business, this lens adds nothing.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013

How many of you guys with access to DPAF have been trying it on Macro work?

If you can just touch the screen to get the focus point you want then manual focus should be mostly obsolete, and now that we have Rebels with DPAF it makes more sense to use focus by wire on an EF-S lens.
(Which is not to say that everyone has DPAF, but there's your sales pitch for a new body, hopefully the SL2 doesn't cost as much as the 800D.)

Upvote 0

tianxiaozhang said:
Does anybody know what "Macro light mounted" means?
Two LED "lamps" built into the front of the lens, effective only for distances between 3 and 30 centimeters, approximately.
canon28-728x403.jpg

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC

9VIII said:

If you can just touch the screen to get the focus point you want then manual focus should be mostly obsolete, and now that we have Rebels with DPAF it makes more sense to use focus by wire on an EF-S lens.
(Which is not to say that everyone has DPAF, but there's your sales pitch for a new body, hopefully the SL2 doesn't cost as much as the 800D.)

I have DPAF and shoot lots of macro. I always focus macro by live view 10x manual, even when I'm using a small aperture and the field depth is great. Anything in studio is remote release and tripod, anyways.

I'm not really sure why, but I've never really liked touch shutter on DSLR. It's fine (great, even) on cellphone, and ok on a compact; it just seems that with big camera, it seems that in the studio I rather use a PC screen (remote shooting) or a field monitor, and when I'm not in studio, I use the OVF 99.9% of the time.

For me, whether I buy this lens or not, I'll say depends on the optical quality and price. But in fact, like every other useful, not very expensive canon lens, it will probably just turn out to whether it's awesome, in which case I buy it at launch, or just good -- and then I may wait a little bit and buy it when it's discounted.

Upvote 0

I've got the 28mm EF-M lens, and it's astonishingly useful. Sure, it's not what I would use for live subjects, but that's only a small portion of what I shoot. But a small and compact true macro lens with built-in illumination is just such a boon for travel. If I used EF-S much, I would surely buy this at a sensible price.

Upvote 0

ahsanford said:
Also, it would appear the new and mysterious 'M' moniker we painstakingly scrutinized about is officially not happening if Digicame and Nokish.ita's leaked pictures are indeed real (which they have had a strong track record of being).

See pic again: I don't see 'M' in isolation (as a component of the lens name) anywhere in that picture.

(I think we all knew it meant macro. I was just curious to see if Canon was changing it's naming conventions.)

- A

yes, just a normal macro. No M with new technology...

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013

Talys said:
9VIII said:

I have DPAF and shoot lots of macro. I always focus macro by live view 10x manual, even when I'm using a small aperture and the field depth is great. Anything in studio is remote release and tripod, anyways.

I'm not really sure why, but I've never really liked touch shutter on DSLR. It's fine (great, even) on cellphone, and ok on a compact; it just seems that with big camera, it seems that in the studio I rather use a PC screen (remote shooting) or a field monitor, and when I'm not in studio, I use the OVF 99.9% of the time.

For me, whether I buy this lens or not, I'll say depends on the optical quality and price. But in fact, like every other useful, not very expensive canon lens, it will probably just turn out to whether it's awesome, in which case I buy it at launch, or just good -- and then I may wait a little bit and buy it when it's discounted.

Absolutely touching the camera to take a picture is a bad idea, but isn't there an option to just "touch to focus" and then use the remote release?

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

9VIII said:

Disagree. I've never tried Macro with DPAF, but I'm not sure I need to. AF simply isn't ideal for 'classic' macro applications (bugs / flowers) as:

1) Your working DOF at macro distances is miniscule and you want to carefully fine tune what is in / out of focus.

2) The size of an AF box is often far larger than the head of the bug, the tip of the flower's pistil, etc. so there's no guarantee the AF won't whiff on what you care about.

3) S--- moves in the wind, and that can render your AF useless for up-close work. It's often best to shoot MF and nail down your focal plane and wait for the wind to subside.

- A

Upvote 0

ajfotofilmagem said:
tianxiaozhang said:
Does anybody know what "Macro light mounted" means?
Two LED "lamps" built into the front of the lens, effective only for distances between 3 and 30 centimeters, approximately.
canon28-728x403.jpg

Thanks!

Didn't see that picture...

Is is the first lens with its own lighting built in?

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

tianxiaozhang said:
Thanks!

Didn't see that picture...

Is is the first lens with its own lighting built in?

No. The picture above from AJ is not the lens that is about to be released. Recently the EOS M platform got the EF-M 28mm f/3.5 IS Macro STM and it had integral illumination like this. That's the picture AJ shared.

AJ was simply presuming that the same sort of setup will happen with this new EF-S lens, and I think (in broad strokes) that it's a fair presumption. It will be a little different up front I'm sure; we already see a bayonet hood attachment for the new EF-S design (see first picture at top of thread), which would be a little different than the EF-M verison.

- A

Upvote 0