Canon EF-S 35mm f/2.8 Macro IS STM Images & Specs Leak Out

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Re: Canon EF-S 35mm f/2.8 Macro IS STM Images & Specs Leak Out

AvTvM said:
Macro use:
* for living critters, way too little working distance
* for flowers and "food photography" ... 1:1 macro lens not needed, what for? To stick it into the heap of spaghetti on your plate 3cm away ... or what?

Just, those are not the whole macro uses. There are several technical macro uses this lens can satisfy.

Upvote 0

A 35 mm macro on crop is like a 55 mm macro on full frame. I really like my 35 mm F2.8 Tokina crop macro lens. It is useful for lots of macro work: flowers, slide copying, large flat art work, document copying, copying old photos, food, etc.
A 50 mm macro for full frame gets more use - by me - than longer macro lenses on full frame. Not everyone likes to photograph bugs or small jewelry.
This is one lens that has been missing from the market. I tend to use my full frame camera more than crop currently, but I still use a 50 mm macro more often than a 100 mm macro lens on full frame. Since Tokina and Sigma have discontinued their shorter macro lens, this one fills a need in the market. If it is a good lens, it will be loved by those people who buy it.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

AvTvM said:
* an EF-S 60 Mk. II with built in LED lighting up front would have been more useful.

The secret sauce for practicality with this central front lighting idea may be a pancake like front element allow the overall lens barrel diameter to stay quite small -- look at both lenses below to see what I mean.

In other words, I'm not sure the EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM (or a future FF macro lens) would allow the ring lighting approach without either (a) becoming a T shape from the top view of the lens or (b) the lens taking on a much larger outer barrel.

- A

Attachments

• canon28-728x403.jpeg
    canon28-728x403.jpeg
    19.5 KB · Views: 700
  • EF-S35_2.jpeg
    EF-S35_2.jpeg
    24.2 KB · Views: 714
Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013

AvTvM said:
Don't understand why Canon decided to launch this specific lens.

Macro use:
* for living critters, way too little working distance
* for flowers and "food photography" ... 1:1 macro lens not needed, what for? To stick it into the heap of spaghetti on your plate 3cm away ... or what?
* an EF-S 60 Mk. II with built in LED lighting up front would have been more useful.

LED lighting wouldn't be that useful for a longer distance, which is why it's on a shorter macro. read people actually using the 28mm macro on the EF-M.

1:1 macro for food photography, certainly especially for things such as fruits, desserts, etc .. just because you don't need it all the time - so what? it's there if you do want to get closer.

product photography, yes, depends on how large your items are.

the thing is.. if you don't have a need for it, then you don't buy it. so what's the problem? Canon obviously designed both the EF-M and EF-S at the same time which I find intriguing .. will they continue to do so or was that a one-off?

Upvote 0

ahsanford said:
AvTvM said:

The secret sauce for practicality with this central front lighting idea may be a pancake like front element allow the overall lens barrel diameter to stay quite small -- look at both lenses below to see what I mean.

In other words, I'm not sure the EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM (or a future FF macro lens) would allow the ring lighting approach without either (a) becoming a T shape from the top view of the lens or (b) the lens taking on a much larger outer barrel.

- A

You also want something with a ridiculously small working distance like these two, since those LED's aren't going to do much for your exposure beyond a couple inches.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013

ahsanford said:
AvTvM said:

- A

as you increase the working distance, you decrease the flash power as well which is the real problem of doing this on a longer macro.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

RRC + tr573: I get you completely on wimpy lighting = needs to be shorter FL / shorter focus distance.

That could 100% be solved with more powerful lighting, but that would all but ensure the 'T-shaped' footprint I referred to.

It's for these reasons we won't see this kind of tiny-inside-the-barrel-diameter sort of lighting for a longer FF macro lens: this EF-S/EF-M idea uniquely fits/illuminates/works for shorter FL / shorter focusing distance macro.

- A

Attachments

• On-Camera-1.jpeg
    On-Camera-1.jpeg
    33 KB · Views: 704
Upvote 0

Friends,
I'm a relative novice and could use some advice.

I have a T3i. I have no interest in macro photography but would like a 35mm prime. Does the macro capability in any way diminish the performance of the lens as a plain old 35mm prime?

Also, what are the disadvantages of using an EF-S 35mm instead of an EF 35mm lens on a crop sensor camera (aside from build quality and possibly aperture differences)?

Upvote 0

Kwwund said:
Friends,

I have a T3i. I have no interest in macro photography but would like a 35mm prime. Does the macro capability in any way diminish the performance of the lens as a plain old 35mm prime?

Also, what are the disadvantages of using an EF-S 35mm instead of an EF 35mm lens on a crop sensor camera (aside from build quality and possibly aperture differences)?
The fact that a lens has Macro capability causes no performance reduction when used at normal focusing distances.

Compared with the "EF 35mm F2 IS" used in APS-C, an "EF-S 35mm F2.8 IS" can theoretically show more vignetting (darkening at the edges of the image) when both lenses are in F2.8 .

Upvote 0

Kwwund said:
Does the macro capability in any way diminish the performance of the lens as a plain old 35mm prime?
In most cases, macro lenses will have slower autofocus than their non-macro equivalents. They also tend to lose a little more light over transmission, meaning that through a macro and a non-macro lens may be both f/2.8, the non-macro could be t/3.2 while the macro might be t/3.5, or something along those lines.

In casual shooting, only the slower autofocus part will ever really be noticeable. And of course it is possible that this particular lens may have perfectly fast autofocus; nobody will know until it's actually available for use.

The EF-S may have slightly heavier vignetting and aberration toward the sides and corners. But, equally, lenses specifically made for APS-C sensors (EF-S) can often be sharper in the centre than lenses intended for APS-H and 35mm sensors (EF)

However, those differences tend to be extremely minor.

The thing is, it is incredibly unlikely that this macro lens will be any cheaper than the existing Canon 35mm lenses. Macro versions of lenses are always more expensive and the fact it also has the illumination feature will put the price up further. So if you're not interested in shooting macro and will get no use out of the built-in illumination then you'll be spending more money for no particular reason.

If you just want a 35mm prime, buy a regular one.

Upvote 0

illadvisedhammer

buggin out
CR Pro
Aug 19, 2015

ajfotofilmagem said:
Kwwund said:
Friends,

The fact that a lens has Macro capability causes no performance reduction when used at normal focusing distances.

Compared with the "EF 35mm F2 IS" used in APS-C, an "EF-S 35mm F2.8 IS" can theoretically show more vignetting (darkening at the edges of the image) when both lenses are in F2.8 .

All good advice above, the EF-S compactness advantage outweighs any macro+LED penalty in this case, 190g for the new lens vs 335 for the 35 f2 IS. I would guess that the new lens would cost about the same as the f2 IS refurbished. More importantly are the specifics. The 35 f2 IS is a delightful lens. It's my favorite lens other than the 65 MP-E, takes the best 1 or 2 shots from any day I have it out. I only have an APS-C sensor. On my camera it's a much more useful focal length indoors than the 50 1.8, and at least my copy is sharper, and more contrasty without losing detail, especially wide open. On the other hand, I would love to have this new lens, or the EF-M version, this week, as the cherry blossoms open locally, and it could catch an ok flower or bug while mostly being used for family pictures. Borrow the 35 f2 IS before you decide.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

aceflibble said:
The thing is, it is incredibly unlikely that this macro lens will be any cheaper than the existing Canon 35mm lenses. Macro versions of lenses are always more expensive and the fact it also has the illumination feature will put the price up further. So if you're not interested in shooting macro and will get no use out of the built-in illumination then you'll be spending more money for no particular reason.

Wow. Really doubt that.

35mm f/2 IS USM = $549
35 f/1.4L II = $1,649

Meanwhile, the EF-M the new 35mm macro is heavily based on -- the EF-M 28mm f/3.5 IS STM Macro (with similar integral lighting) clocks in at $299, which is more or less where we'd expect the new EF-S lens to come in.

If you need a 35-ishmm prime for EF-S, get this new one, get the EF 40mm pancake or consider the Sigma 30mm f/1.4.

- A

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

ahsanford said:
aceflibble said:

Wow. Really doubt that.

35mm f/2 IS USM = $549
35 f/1.4L II = $1,649

Meanwhile, the EF-M the new 35mm macro is heavily based on -- the EF-M 28mm f/3.5 IS STM Macro (with similar integral lighting) clocks in at $299, which is more or less where we'd expect the new EF-S lens to come in.

If you need a 35-ishmm prime for EF-S, get this new one, get the EF 40mm pancake or consider the Sigma 30mm f/1.4.

- A

I paid $325 for my 35 f2 IS, best $325 I ever spent on Canon.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013

Kwwund said:
Friends,

Do you want a labeled 35mm on crop or a true 35mm perspective/equivalent? The lens in this thread will have a 56mm equivalent focal length, you'll need a 24 Prime to get close to 35 equiv. on a non M series (They have an actual 22mm native lens) The EF 24 IS 2.8 is a fantastic lens btw. The EF-S 24 pancake is a great lens as well.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012

Kwwund said:
Does the macro capability in any way diminish the performance of the lens as a plain old 35mm prime?

Usually there are no diminished optical performance - sometimes are even better (sharpness in macro matters), and often they also offer features like a flat field focus, which is also useful for reproduction tasks of flat originals. Hybrid IS compensate not only angle shake, but also shifts.

The disadvantages usually are smaller max aperture, weight, and the AF mechanism needs to handle a far longer range, don't know if this has a limiter to reduce it.

For example, the EF 100/2.8 L is an excellent all-round lens - but if you need a larger aperture.

That said, an EF 35 may have a better AF system (USM vs. STM), build and optical quality comparison could be done only when this new lens will be available, and at which price point.

Upvote 0

[/quote]

Do you want a labeled 35mm on crop or a true 35mm perspective/equivalent? The lens in this thread will have a 56mm equivalent focal length, you'll need a 24 Prime to get close to 35 equiv. on a non M series (They have an actual 22mm native lens) The EF 24 IS 2.8 is a fantastic lens btw. The EF-S 24 pancake is a great lens as well.
[/quote]

Labeled 35mm on crop. My goal is to achieve approx. 50mm equivalent. I have the pancake and I agree, great lens and fantastic value.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

trulandphoto

Upstate NY photographer and retired atorney
CR Pro
Jul 19, 2011
trulandphotography.com

figaro28 said:
trulandphoto said:
This could be a fun standard lens for an SL1. I don't use my SL1 much but I might bring it with me more with this lens on it.

My SL1 already has two fun standard lenses: the 24 pancake and the 40 pancake, depending on the mood. A part from the macro business, this lens adds nothing.

Three things. 1) The 38.4mm and 64mm eq fields of view for the 24mm and 40mm pancakes respectively, would normally be considered at the extremes of "standard". 2) IS 3) for some, macro is more than "the macro business."

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013

ahsanford said:
aceflibble said:

Wow. Really doubt that.

35mm f/2 IS USM = $549
35 f/1.4L II = $1,649

- A

the Yen price was leaked at around 50,500 yen or 450 USD, so it's probably 399 USD is my guess.

Upvote 0