Canon engineers talk EOS R and the future of the system

Jul 31, 2018
It's 3.6 million dots, not pixels. I get the impression that Canon means: 1.2 million green dots, 1.2 million red dots and 1.2 million blue dots, which probably boils down to 1.2 million real pixels.

yes. Canon and the other imaging gear makers all use "dots" trying to obscure the real resolution (in pixels) and create a wrong impression of "hi-resolution" display. In reality 3690k dots are only about 1280 x 960 pixels = "1990s standard" SXGA resolution.

Obviously they really believe their customers are too stupid to figure it out. o_O

Upvote 0
I use the mode dial a LOT especially the 3Cs I really don't know how I'd get on without that mode dial.

Is the Rs implementation the same as the 1Dx?
Is there an equivalent of the hard stop at 3C on the R or 1Dx?

I worried about this too, and the lack of ISO and drive buttons. But the new dial and the mf button/dial combination really work wonderfully, I think—very intuitive. When you hit the mf button you see one parameter in the center of the top display, with the next and previous parameter to the right and left. When you use the mode dial, it scrolls through these--when you use the top dial, it adjusts the setting. And the settings are directly above the parameter on the display—so the dials are nearest the 'thing' they control. So much nicer than before with all the info scattered around the display and the multiple two-function buttons...

Upvote 0
Isn’t the M series effectively the aps-c version of the R? THe flange distance is shorter on the M, making adapting R lenses to ef-m mount doable. This would parallel the ef and ef-s dynamic.

I do not think so because the difference in flange distance is only 2mm ... which is a great challenge for an adapter if not an impossible project. It depends on how the contacts and bayonet elements are arranged and how strong materials are. A e.g. 0.3 mm brass layer is definitely NOT strong enough to hold more than the RF 1.8 35 lens :)
And maybe you need another protocol to communicate from EF-M mount to the RF mount which has more contacts needing a firmware update for the M-cameras ...?

But who knows if our ( I would like it too) hopes come true with some ingenious engineer who finds a way to produce a rigid adaptor for that mount-mount combo. And the corresponding electric workarounds.

Upvote 0
"Diversity in Japan". LOL. :p

I find the difference between Sony and Canon mirrorfree team heads ... interesting. Guess who's having more fun at work?

I would definitely join the Canon team: I like people who are thoughtful but have a subtle humor which shines through than and than!

And more important: Canon cameras made / make a lot of fun (my opinion) starting with AE-1, EF, F-1n via Powershot G2 to 20D ... and now SL-2 / M50. And yes just these underdog cameras make a lot of fun because they WORK as TOOLS with nearly the same IQ like these "real professional" cameras (in the APS-C section and are close to FF for many applications).

Upvote 0
Held an R today for the first time. Nice heft and feel. Then I looked through the EVF. Awful. Just as bad as the A9. These are among the best EVFs but are soooo far from the OVF on my DSLRs, that I would not buy the camera.
What I don't understand is that the rear screen was nice and sharp and high resolution and a pleasure to use. But the EVF....
The viewfinder is the interface between the artist and the scene. A step change is needed before I'd buy a mirrorless.

I have the same experience with M50 compared to a DSLR: The electronic viewfinder is - during the day - inferior in a lot of situations. In darker environments the EVF can help. While I have not problems with the resolution which I find fine (perhaps because of the smaller viewfinder size) the colors are a little bit off - while the rear display is much much better / more realistic (same observation here) and I am positively surprised each time :)

But I can live with these limitations, because:
* a "bad" viewfinder quality helps to see the photo from the real scene,
* helps to struggle for a good photo through the "bad" viewfinder and you need to get the best composition / contrast / light by
changing the perspective
* avoids eye damage while photographing in contralight (with the chance to have the sun in the frame).

My dream was a switchable EVF-/OVF-combo viewfinder in a DSLR but ... with the EOS R this complex and maybe bulky solution is far away now.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Canon should add a 46mp EOS R with in-body image stabilization and dual card slots to go head to head with Z7. It's a logical next step and will create enormous buzz with 2-cards alone. Plenty of time to plan as Nikon works out issues with Z7. The next gen 5DS (R) could remain at 60mp or higher, thus staying in its DSLR niche. Pros need them.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Canon should add a 46mp EOS R with in-body image stabilization and dual card slots to go head to head with Z7. It's a logical next step and will create enormous buzz with 2-cards alone. Plenty of time to plan as Nikon works out issues with Z7. The next gen 5DS (R) could remain at 60mp or higher, thus staying in its DSLR niche. Pros need them.

Any new Canon High end mirrorless was long ago planned and specifications set. The design is likely finished as well. Once that is completed, it can take 2 years for the very long lead time components, so a new sensor is probably finishing up and is what kept it from being announced already. The R was finished faster since it used the core of a existing sensor, just tweaked as far as the assembly goes.

For a 1D X series replacement, we might see fewer MP. Canon is undoubtedly looking toward the 2020 Olympics in Japan, for such a event, they and Nikon will pull out all the stops.

Upvote 0
To me personally except I hate evfs the R is actually good enough camera I will ever want or really need, that said since I got my 5D mk iii when it first release I never feel like to upgrade! But I don’t know is my eyes exceptionally good or what, in EVFs I always see it flickers especially in in door lights, which really makes my eyes pain and distract me from composing the real image

Upvote 0