Canon EOS-1D X High Resolution Samples

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is obviously insufficient DoF in the D800 Landscape images, but it also appears that diffraction is playing a big part, judging by the corners, although I'm not sure what the 14-24 is like in the corners, so it could be that the increased resolution is showing up deficiencies in the lens. The corners look soft at 50%, which is what I usually use to judge if it's good enough to print.

Upvote 0
Astro said:
Radiating said:
I took some time to shoot a comparison between the 1Dx and the 5D Mark II, I found a scene with similar tones, then did a 1600 iso shot with the same settings (default jpg)

It appears the 1Dx and the 5D II have nearly the exact same noise levels, which would make sense considering quantum efficiency is likley very similar.

Here's a back to back comparison of a 100% crop of the 1Dx and a 21mp 5DII shot resized to 18mp. The noise has been enhanced with a high pass filter for easier inspection with an identical setting on the final composite:

noise-comparison.jpg

useless.. post the originals or nothing.

You know what, I'm not going to this forum is incredibly rude and has no respect for people putting forth the effort to do research.

Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2011
The 1600 looks at least one stop cleaner than the 5d mark II, with certainly much less chroma. Of course that is based on a properly exposed raw with no noise reduction what so ever. I would be tickled to death to get ISO 1600 images this clean at a wedding reception!!
here is a sample with sharpening set to 0, and no noise reduction converted in DPP. With a little tweaking it was acceptable. I did not lighten or darken this image in raw. I think its a good comparison of how good the 1dx is at 1600.

Attachments

• IMG_0125.JPG
    IMG_0125.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,025
Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2011
http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/eos5dm2/downloads/4_aurora.jpg
here is a link to a 5d mark II sample at 1600, i opened it in DPP and it had the following settings.
File Name 4_aurora.jpg
Camera Model Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Firmware Firmware Version 3.4.6
Shooting Date/Time 10/30/2008 6:09:49 PM
Owner's Name
Shooting Mode Manual Exposure
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 25
Av( Aperture Value ) 5.6
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
ISO Speed 1600
Auto ISO Speed OFF
Lens EF17-40mm f/4L USM
Focal Length 22.0mm
Image Size 3744x5616
Image Quality Fine
Flash Off
FE lock OFF
White Balance Mode Tungsten
AF Mode Manual focusing
Picture Style Landscape
Sharpness 4
Contrast 0
Saturation 0
Color tone 0
Color Space sRGB
Long exposure noise reduction 2:On
High ISO speed noise reduction 0:Standard

Highlight tone priority 0:Disable
Auto Lighting Optimizer 3:Disable
Peripheral illumination correction Disable

Dust Delete Data No
File Size 5417KB
Drive Mode Single shooting
Live View Shooting OFF
Date/Time(UTC)
Latitude
Longitude
Altitude
Geographic coordinate system
Camera Body No. 0000000286
Comment

Upvote 0
M

marius

OMG!
This can not be true! I don't see any pattern noise in those Canon pictures!
I know they are Jpegs, but something like this i would be seeing it (at least something) even in a Jpeg file.
O course we can be 100% sure only if we have the Raws ... but I am confident that this time Canon has done well its homework (with this pattern noise issue).
I can't say anything about DR from these Jpegs.

I hope only that will be true with Canon 5D III too.

Upvote 0
The only way to compare a cameras output is to shoot at the same settings, the same image and to view the raw files.

All sorts of weird stuff happens to the light after it hits the sensor.

Images on the internet aren't a reliable source. Until I have a 1Dx in my hands I can't compare it.
But, I will when I have one, heck I'll be pulling that thing apart with my eyes.

Upvote 0
A

aarongilpin

Good quality samples BUT nobody will know for sure how good the camera is until its in YOUR hands and you take your own pics. and another thing, these sample pics are not very inspiring, I mean just look at the amazing sample images Nikon got Joe McNally to do for the promo of the D4, I Almost ordered one and was willing to sell all my Canon stuff to get it, then I thought Id just wait until I tried them both out.

Upvote 0
Could it be that these samples are not saved with the best quality?
I downloaded the samples and it looked like there are jpg artifacts in them.

One thing that seems odd about these highres jpgs is what they seem small in MB.
I saved the same pixel size jpg (simular image) í maximum quality from Photoshop.
The sample was 5.5MB and my file was 7.5MB.

Then again, maybe I'm just being silly.

Upvote 0
aarongilpin said:
Good quality samples BUT nobody will know for sure how good the camera is until its in YOUR hands and you take your own pics. and another thing, these sample pics are not very inspiring, I mean just look at the amazing sample images Nikon got Joe McNally to do for the promo of the D4, I Almost ordered one and was willing to sell all my Canon stuff to get it, then I thought Id just wait until I tried them both out.

joe mcnally is more about the lighting than about the camera. He produces just as amazing stuff with a D3 as he does with the D4. With him it's all about his lighting skill and he is about as good as it gets.

Upvote 0
B

BrotherBloat

hmm... why is every exif data reading program reporting this as a crop sensor? it's showing 35mm equivalent values as 1.6x the focal length and the sensor width as 23...

Am I missing something? :/

NB: way to go Canon - in the day and age where a 3 year old can upload and host full HD videos on the web, they serve us a 540p shockwave/flash teaser, which is 'optimised for the site'... laughable...

Upvote 0
First of all. I am, all of a sudden, utterly unimpressed.

Sample images, at the very least, should make sense. Looking at the shutterspeeds and aptertures used in some of the shots makes me wonder if the photographer had shot those scenes for the first time. Take the football picture for example. He shot it at 1/8000s at F4 (on a new 400 2.8 IS II none the less). Looks to me like it was shot in bright daylight. Not nearly what you would expect for a stadium environment. Of course there are daylight matches, but most of the soccer would be shot with flood lights, mostly in the region of 1/1000s f2.8 and iso 1250-2500. Also the detail level (not only in this shot) doesn't impress me one bit. I have much clearer pictures with my late 2007 1Ds3.

Also, a camera with a standard ISO-range of 100-51200, one would expect to see some low light indoor-sports or concert photography samples.

Canon, you better redo those sample images (let them make sense please) or people will assume that this is the image quality they can expect of the new 1Dx and might consider going for a 5D series camera after all.

When I saw samples (with the preproduction model) and talked a bit with Canon Ambassador Frits van Eldik
http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/ambassadors/frits_van_eldik.do at a seminar, I got a different feeling about the 1Dx. Those samples do not represent what I've seen and heard there.

just my 2c

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.