Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Availability in 2016 [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
There’s not much being said about the EOS-1D X Mark II at the moment, the leaks at Canon are for the moment relatively well plugged (Though we’re trying to confirm a few things we’ve been told).</p>
<p>A very solid source let us know that the EOS-1D X Mark II will be in our hands no later than April 2016, but that Canon has yet to finalize an announcement date. So there’s no need to worry that this is going to be a Photokina 2016 product.</p>
<p>The million dollar question is how the EOS 5D Mark IV will play in all of this, could that be a Photokina product? Is it possible that Canon could wait another year to announce, what will surely be the most popular Canon photographic product since the EOS 5D Mark III was announced in 2012? There has been some insight on this, but very little can be confirmed at this time.</p>
<p>The only thing that is confirmed for the EOS-1D X Mark II is that it will shoot 4K video and that there will not be a direct follow-up to the EOS-1D C.</p>
<p>More to come…</p>

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
No Sony for me.

If a 5DIV will take longer than June to come out, I'll just spring for the 1DXII (ouch for the price), but I will be ready for an upgrade, and will need to get up to speed for a trip next summer. OTH, the 1DX will encourage me onward and upward on my photo skills.

Sek

Upvote 0
2016 is looking like a good year for announcements from the big 2; D5, 1DX Mk 2 and hopefully we see a D810 replacement and a 5D MK 4.

I agree, it looks like there will be a lot of new bodies around next year. With a rumored D810S, I'd imagine Canon would want their 5D4 out close enough to it to keep pace. It will be a fun year to see the forums in a frenzy comparing the two top dogs and their best offerings.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
Canon launched the 5D MKII at Photokina in September 2008, the 5D MKIII was launched on the 2nd March 2012 so 3.5 years after. If they launch at say The Photography Show in the UK in March the MKIII would have lasted 4 years, if they wait until September at Photokina thats 4.5 years which is a lifetime in camera development.

There are three possible reasons as I see it for Canon to wait that long a. the mix of 5D MKIII, 5DS & 5DSr are giving them a similar level of sales to the 5D MKIII when it came out & the newer cameras still have their price premium b. they dont want to rob sales of the more expensive 1D X MKII which itself will showcase new AF / metering & sensor possibly. c. Its new tech thats taking longer to perfect therefor needing more R&D time.

Both the 1D X MKII and the 5D MKIV are major releases so you can see why they would want to spread them out.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 91053

OPG said:
Here's to 15 stops of dynamic range! One can only hope!.....if not, hello Nikon D5!
Another 4-5 years of 11.8 stops of dynamic range with Canon will not do.

GATSBY.png

Well, if Canon is desperate, they can always engineer the ND filter system of their C-series!
c300_nd_filter_assembly.jpg

I note from your Sig that you use a Canon 7D2 and a Canon 400 F2.8 - have you tried the alternatives? Well, for what it's worth I have and DR is simply irrelevant! The Canon gear will get you the image, Sony are simply irrelevant (no body and no lens), Nikon are much better but do you REALLY want to spring for a D4S and a Nokkor 400 F2.8? Having used most of the top end Nikon gear you are FAR better off where you are - trust me I have used them. Unfortunately whilst I was using them the Nikon owners were using my Canon gear - suffice to say that they were a bit pi%$ed off - but they did have better DR! Pity they couldn't, reliably, get the images.........

Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
The wait is long enough that I'm going to try my first Nikon product. I'm not waiting for the 1DX MK II anymore.

For me... this long wait is a chance for me to try Nikon... I've been wanting to do it for years and Canon's CPS repair service leaves little to be desired anymore. I've made a $50,000+ investment in Canon glass and bodies and to me... I'm tired of Canon playing games. The 1DX has been a nightmare for me with Mirror Box and PCB problems.... My good will has been exhausted....

Canon Rumors said:
There’s not much being said about the EOS-1D X Mark II at the moment, the leaks at Canon are for the moment relatively well plugged (Though we’re trying to confirm a few things we’ve been told).</p>
<p>A very solid source let us know that the EOS-1D X Mark II will be in our hands no later than April 2016, but that Canon has yet to finalize an announcement date. So there’s no need to worry that this is going to be a Photokina 2016 product.</p>
<p>The million dollar question is how the EOS 5D Mark IV will play in all of this, could that be a Photokina product? Is it possible that Canon could wait another year to announce, what will surely be the most popular Canon photographic product since the EOS 5D Mark III was announced in 2012? There has been some insight on this, but very little can be confirmed at this time.</p>
<p>The only thing that is confirmed for the EOS-1D X Mark II is that it will shoot 4K video and that there will not be a direct follow-up to the EOS-1D C.</p>
<p>More to come…</p>

Upvote 0
OPG said:
Yes, I agree with what you say about Nikon on the long term side. However, they are starting to close the gap (D810, and next year their D810s and D5 giant) and it makes me worried that Canon may not exceed the specs for the next 4 years.

If your existing cameras continue to meet your requirements why is there a need to worry about what any other camera manufacturer is doing?

I think we can be confident that Canon will do what they need to do in order to ensure they continue to at least hold market share for their DSLRs.
I'm looking forward to seeing the 5D4 released, but won't be buying it immediately. I'll wait until the price drops at least a little because my current 5D is perfectly fine for my needs. For me the 5D4 is a want not a need. :)

Upvote 0
GoldWing said:
The wait is long enough that I'm going to try my first Nikon product. I'm not waiting for the 1DX MK II anymore.

For me... this long wait is a chance for me to try Nikon... I've been wanting to do it for years and Canon's CPS repair service leaves little to be desired anymore. I've made a $50,000+ investment in Canon glass and bodies and to me... I'm tired of Canon playing games. The 1DX has been a nightmare for me with Mirror Box and PCB problems.... My good will has been exhausted....

Heh, I would have said the only meaningful difference between Canon and Nikon at the pro level is that CPS is generally considered to be pretty amazing. I guess the other difference is that Nikon admits when they have product defects and issues recalls. Canon, not so much.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Steve said:
GoldWing said:

Heh, I would have said the only meaningful difference between Canon and Nikon at the pro level is that CPS is generally considered to be pretty amazing. I guess the other difference is that Nikon admits when they have product defects and issues recalls. Canon, not so much.

Seriously?

You are aware that Nikon were banned from selling D600's in China because they refused to admit to the dirty sensor issue, hence the D610? Nikon are so good at admitting their mistakes they are banned from selling their faulty crap to China! The D800 to D810 was a similar story for a large number of D800/E users who never did get a satisfactory fix to the terminal AF misalignment issues.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Steve said:

Well, you've got this completely backwards as Canon has a very good history of advisories when they have a problem with their cameras. Nikon...not so much.

Always can count on the Canon haters to say pretty much anything they can make up to put down Canon,.

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
Seriously?

You are aware that Nikon were banned from selling D600's in China because they refused to admit to the dirty sensor issue, hence the D610? Nikon are so good at admitting their mistakes they are banned from selling their faulty crap to China! The D800 to D810 was a similar story for a large number of D800/E users who never did get a satisfactory fix to the terminal AF misalignment issues.

The program, which aired March 15th to correspond with World Consumer Rights Day, showed customers complaining about the image quality from the D600 and dealers attempting to blame dust and smog — despite Nikon's acknowledgement of the issues as being part of the camera’s construction.

Literally 5 seconds on google. Meanwhile, Canon's acknowledgement of the 7DII's AF issues is coming any day now, I'm sure.

For better or worse, Canon has decided it's better to quietly fix problems through its warranty service rather than acknowledge them and issue recalls. Honestly, it seems like a better strategy considering the reputation hit Nikon has been taking over the last couple years. Recalls come across as failures but if people just send in their brand new cameras for mirror box replacements, well that's probably just user error or a freak occurrence, right?

dak723 said:
Always can count on the Canon haters to say pretty much anything they can make up to put down Canon,.

Curses! I have been found out! Despite owning and shooting Canon cameras and lenses, my only pleasure in life comes from gleefully concocting lies about the Glorious Corporation, simply to annoy their fanboys! Drats! I would have gotten away with it, too, if it wasn't for you meddling, middle aged men! *hisses and slinks away*

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Steve said:
privatebydesign said:
Seriously?

The program, which aired March 15th to correspond with World Consumer Rights Day, showed customers complaining about the image quality from the D600 and dealers attempting to blame dust and smog — despite Nikon's acknowledgement of the issues as being part of the camera’s construction.

Literally 5 seconds on google. Meanwhile, Canon's acknowledgement of the 7DII's AF issues is coming any day now, I'm sure.

For better or worse, Canon has decided it's better to quietly fix problems through its warranty service rather than acknowledge them and issue recalls. Honestly, it seems like a better strategy considering the reputation hit Nikon has been taking over the last couple years. Recalls come across as failures but if people just send in their brand new cameras for mirror box replacements, well that's probably just user error or a freak occurrence, right?

If you had taken a few more seconds to fact check you would see that the D600 was introduced in summer 2012 and was shipping in large numbers by September 2012 and there were reports of issues almost immediately, in December 2013 Nikon Japan stopped shipments of the D600 to China, they didn't offer to recall the stock dealers had until they were forced to by the government a scant 20 months after the first reports of issues and they were still selling them as good 16 months after they knew they weren't, yep, Nikon really stood behind that lemon.

But you go off and buy your Nikon. I know a working pro who's 2 month old D810 broke while he was on assignment is Iceland, he was screwed and bought another one locally. When he came back to the USA Nikon USA wouldn't repair his new D810 when it broke (six months later) until he provided copies of the original receipt along with his airline ticket and a copy of the page in his passport with a date stamp showing he was actually physically in Iceland at the time the camera was bought.

Meanwhile I just broke my 11-24, it fell off the tripod attached to a camera and broke it in half, 100% my fault, Canon fixed it in four days and didn't charge me a cent.

Upvote 0