Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Coming in April 2016 [CR3]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>Barring some kind of unforeseen issue, the Canon EOS-1D X Mark II will be shipping some time in April 2016. <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-eos-1d-x-mark-ii-availability-in-2016-cr2/">We mentioned this a few months ago</a> and it looks like things haven’t changed.</p>
<p>What may have changed is when the camera is announced, right now the latest information says a February/March announcement for the new camera. With Nikon having recently announced their flagship D5 which begins shipping in March of 2016, there’s no reason to announce right away. However, announcing before the Nikon starts shipping is probably very likely.</p>
<p>The current planned price for the new EOS-1D X Mark II is $5999, but that could change slightly depending on currency strength at the time of the announcement, but it will be cheaper than the <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1214152-REG/nikon_1557_d5_dslr_camera_body.html/BI/2466/KBID/3296/DFF/d10-v21-t1-x700340" target="_blank">$6496 Nikon D5</a>.</p>
<p>The only specification we have confirmed is that it will record 4K video, just like the D5.</p>
<p>More to come…</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Let's home it's a even better camera than the current one (which is fantastic).
What is the rumoured FPS.
I hope it's ISO performance is stellar.
I've been very disappointed with the 5DSR.
Anything higher than 800 is ropey. (The 7DII is the same but I expected more from the 5DSR.
It turns the camera into a limited use camera.
I hope the 1DX II sets new standards in that area.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Crappy?? I suppose the A7S is a downright cowpie then? The 1DX has a fantastic 18MP that suits its intended audience extremely well, having used it many times myself.

Expect 24MP on the new one since Digic 7 can manage the data flow such processors would generate.

Nitroman said:
Lets hope it has more than crappy 18MP - ideally 24-28Mp. :)

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
If that price holds to reality, that will be incredible. I was expecting $7k-ish. $5999 USD is going to be very tempting and the original 1DX I would guess will be dropped to $3500 to clear out the stock. Really exciting stuff. Just hope they announce it sooner.

Seems to me that Canon would want to injure Nikon D5 pre-orders any way they can, so the earlier the better. Tomorrow would be fine for me. You guys?

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Not to veer off the DX2 topic, but what have you found so disappointing in your 5DSR? I've shot quite a few portrait frames with available light at ISO1600 and they look great to me.

Hector1970 said:
Let's home it's a even better camera than the current one (which is fantastic).
What is the rumoured FPS.
I hope it's ISO performance is stellar.
I've been very disappointed with the 5DSR.
Anything higher than 800 is ropey. (The 7DII is the same but I expected more from the 5DSR.
It turns the camera into a limited use camera.
I hope the 1DX II sets new standards in that area.

Upvote 0

helpful

Ecclesiastes 3:11
Mar 6, 2012
I am so happy with Canon's decision to set the price at $5999 rather than $6,799.

Canon, I want you to know that the $800 difference will benefit you. Speaking for myself, I plan to purchase two this April, but would have purchased only one if the price were $6,799.

If the price drops by another thousand after the first year, I will likely purchase a third 1D X Mark II as well, unless technology has advanced by an incredible amount more during that time. (At a $6,799 price point, my decisions each time would have been to go with a 5D Mark IV for those additional two out of my planned three new bodies, and only ever to purchase one 1D X Mark II.)

I look forward to the higher quality the 1D X Mark II will provide, and I look forward even more to offering this higher quality within a higher percentage of my work.

Thank you, Canon, for giving photographers a price point that allows us to bring more creative works of a higher quality into existence and thereby make a better world.

One more comment for Canon: if you make a version of the 1D X Mark II that has no AA filter, then I plan to buy five total, probably even more. About 40% of my work demands the dramatic amount of added micro contrast and resolution that this provides, and it would be a benefit in about 95% of my work (make no difference to about 4%, and bring harm to less than 1%).

PS: For 99% of my work AF tracking is the limiting constraint for quality, followed by the image sensor, which is why the 1D X Mark II will be the best camera for virtually all my needs. Otherwise, I would go with some of the 5D Mark IVs as well, which I'm assuming would have a higher resolution sensor (but lower ISO).

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
keriboi said:
PureClassA said:
Seems to me that Canon would want to injure Nikon D5 pre-orders any way they can, so the earlier the better. Tomorrow would be fine for me. You guys?

What if the Canon specs dont match the nikon and it has the same poor DR and high iso noisier?

I wasn't aware that Nikon specified the DR or noise for the D5. Can you please point me to the relevant specs for comparison?

Upvote 0
I wasn't aware that Nikon specified the DR or noise for the D5. Can you please point me to the relevant specs for comparison?
Sorry to barge in. Nikon hasn't specified anything for the D5 but even previous models like the D800 and such have the best DR in the price range. The 5DS was a failure in quality and DR. More MP doesn't mean better photos. Yes, the price was right for such a high MP camera, but it was intended for a limited segment.
I never considered one. My 1DX is amazing and I can't wait for the new one.
I, like everyone else, hope that it will beat the D5 and reign supreme 8)
It's a "1" body after all, Canon's flagship... It needs to be number 1!

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Enough with the DR nonsense already. First of all, SONY sensors have the better LOW ISO DR (sub 400-800). Nikon made this camera with a NIKON sensor. So even THAT bet is off. Secondly, Canon has maintained superiority in mid and upper ISO DR, which quite frankly, is where the bulk of shots on such cameras as the 1DX and D5 are taken. ISO 800-6400. Think professional journalists. Pro Sports shooters. Think wildlifers. Those things are not shot very often at or near base ISOs. So the whole Sony argument here is just a box of junk.

The Canon will almost assuredly wreck Nikon's AF system once again. And it's not about how many points Nikon boasts, it's how GOOD they are. And we don't even know how many Canon will have yet. Nikon has ZERO dual-cross on the D5. That's a pretty lousy start right there for a $6500 professional camera.

And once again, the Canon 1DX body will vastly outsell the comparable (and that may be generous) Nikon counterpart. It seems to me the only thing Nikon has built for certain in the D5 is a finally worthy competitor to the 4 year old, retiring 1DX.... not the 1DX2.

keriboi said:
PureClassA said:

What if the Canon specs dont match the nikon and it has the same poor DR and high iso noisier?

Upvote 0