Canon EOS-1D X Mark II to Shoot 4K Video [CR2]

I'm just going to go out on a limb and say that 90% of the people who are complaining about the 5Dmk4 won't have any use, what so ever, for 4k video. This past weekend I shot a promo video for a local Crossfit, and guess what? I edited in a 720p timeline to punch in a little since we only had a 1 camera interview setup. Guess what? No one noticed. No one complained. I pitched it to a few of my video film buddies and they said they couldn't tell the difference.

Too many people want a camera that doesn't exist. You wanna know what would be nice? A 5D style body with A7s low light capabilities, 10fps photos, wifi, 4k video, 2 XLR inputs, dual pixel autofocus, focus peaking, wave forms, histograms, swivel screen, ability to load LUTs in camera, and a stabilized sensor. But guess what? Not gonna happen.

As the saying goes, get the right tool for the job. If you need a stills camera, buy a stills camera. Need cameras for stills and video but don't want to buy two bodies and want to complain a company isn't making your perfect camera? Get over it and get out of the business. It's an investment. Deal with it. If you don't make enough to afford both, that's not the companies fault. Up your game.

Now, I'm not trying to stick up for Canon. I have happily moved from Canon to Sony for video and it has been wonderful, but I happily shoot stills on my 5Dmk3 as well.

Canon did not mean to invent a video revolution. They stumbled into it, and they are under no obligation to anyone to continue advancing faster than any other company.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
All this whining over a CR2 rumor that's not even on the 5DIV, which won't even be announced for at least six months or more.

Unless there are technological reasons why it can't be done well (and Canon is a conservative company that does not release half-baked products) the 5D IV will have 4K video.

Wouldn't it be amusing if Canon pulled a "7D I" and announced a major firmware upgrade to the 5D III that incorporated 4K video? (That wouldn't be "at launch" now would it?)

Seriously, this does raise a point I've made in the past – I believe Canon will continue to develop and market hybrid stills/video cameras that offer the best of both worlds as long as it is technologically possible to do so.

It may very well be that we are reaching the point where the market is going to diverge again because the sophistication of video and stills is so great that a camera can't be developed that does both things exceptionally well.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
DanThePhotoMan said:
This past weekend I shot a promo video for a local Crossfit, and guess what? I edited in a 720p timeline to punch in a little since we only had a 1 camera interview setup. Guess what? No one noticed. No one complained. I pitched it to a few of my video film buddies and they said they couldn't tell the difference.

They couldn't tell the difference between your 720p video and what? The 4K video you didn't show them?

I can't tell the difference between my a7r2 frames and the same frames taken with the prototype 120MP canon. Just saying.

Upvote 0
I'm a sports photographer. I use the 1DX to shoot sports. If we need or use a video camera to shoot sports it is NOTHING like a 1DX.

Even a cheap consumer Sony PXW-Z100 is better suited for video. If you shoot pro-sports and need serious equipment then a Sony PMW-F55 CineAlta is a beautiful piece of equipment as it shoot over 200fps for stunning slow-mo

We've know for years that the 1DX could be hacked to shoot video but that's not what "I" need as a sports shooter. I have to believe at 4K Canon's 1DX MKII would be for a VERY small user group. Why??? Why??? When there are so many better video options

Canon is on the cusp of real product reliability issues with my fellow sports shooters who use 1DX bodies. We ALL travel with 3 bodies now because of oil and debris issues with 1DX's we have to get the shot. Shooting stills for the Olympics in 2016 we want and improved 1DX not a video camera. We need a 1DX THAT DOES NOT SPEW OIL, freeze, stop focusing or blow a PCB.

Canon better get back to serving pro-users so we're 2-3 steps in front and not playing catch up. I don't need a video TOY. We pay $10,000 to $12,000 for our lenses to take amazing stills. A NEW 1DX that will NOT spew oil will be fine. Please not a another BOMB with service recalls, service advisories and units that BRICK. How about a camera without "issues" that allows pros to work without FEAR so we don't have to lug all these back-up bodies around.

Get back to BASICS CANON. You're going to lose a market that you'll NEVER get back

Upvote 0
tvexecutive said:
I'm a sports photographer. I use the 1DX to shoot sports. If we need or use a video camera to shoot sports it is NOTHING like a 1DX.

Even a cheap consumer Sony PXW-Z100 is better suited for video. If you shoot pro-sports and need serious equipment then a Sony PMW-F55 CineAlta is a beautiful piece of equipment as it shoot over 200fps for stunning slow-mo

We've know for years that the 1DX could be hacked to shoot video but that's not what "I" need as a sports shooter. I have to believe at 4K Canon's 1DX MKII would be for a VERY small user group. Why??? Why??? When there are so many better video options

Canon is on the cusp of real product reliability issues with my fellow sports shooters who use 1DX bodies. We ALL travel with 3 bodies now because of oil and debris issues with 1DX's we have to get the shot. Shooting stills for the Olympics in 2016 we want and improved 1DX not a video camera. We need a 1DX THAT DOES NOT SPEW OIL, freeze, stop focusing or blow a PCB.

Canon better get back to serving pro-users so we're 2-3 steps in front and not playing catch up. I don't need a video TOY. We pay $10,000 to $12,000 for our lenses to take amazing stills. A NEW 1DX that will NOT spew oil will be fine. Please not a another BOMB with service recalls, service advisories and units that BRICK. How about a camera without "issues" that allows pros to work without FEAR so we don't have to lug all these back-up bodies around.

Get back to BASICS CANON. You're going to lose a market that you'll NEVER get back

I also shoot sports, a lot of international events, and for stills the 1D X is the best there is.

But I also shoot a lot of video, and for the type of video I do the 1D X is terrific.

I can shoot sports and do the type of video I need to do all on one machine. How great is that! Especially because international travel is concerned so weight is an issue I need to watch.

If you are also a sport shooter then I doubt you will leave Canon because the 1D X II also does 4K. Same as you did not leave Canon as the 1D X can shoot video too. That's just too funny.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
nehemiah said:
I have a 5D3 and am ordering the 5D4 when available. I do think that many here underestimate the number of photographers who do not care much about video.

I hear you, I am not a video guy at all, but unless the 5D4 runs circles around my 5D3 or Canon uncharacteristically drops spot metering at any AF point into it, I won't upgrade. I'm sure the 5D4 will be a fine camera, but will it be $3500-4000 better than the one I have? I doubt that very much.

- A

Upvote 0
3kramd5 said:
DanThePhotoMan said:
This past weekend I shot a promo video for a local Crossfit, and guess what? I edited in a 720p timeline to punch in a little since we only had a 1 camera interview setup. Guess what? No one noticed. No one complained. I pitched it to a few of my video film buddies and they said they couldn't tell the difference.

They couldn't tell the difference between your 720p video and what? The 4K video you didn't show them?

I can't tell the difference between my a7r2 frames and the same frames taken with the prototype 120MP canon. Just saying.

720p and any other 1080p video I've showed them beforehand. The point being that 1080p is more than sufficient for just about anything, especially when 720p is still fine.

Go ahead and look at the 4k video that is coming from your A7r2. Ask almost any videographer and guess what? They prefer the look of the 1080p from the A7s. More resolution does not make a better image.

Upvote 0
Sep 15, 2012
Nininini said:
dilbert said:
Canon are clearly ignoring where the market is going, likely to protect the Cinema EOS line.

Or to put it more simply, the 1DXII can have 4K because it is more expensive than the C100MarkII and because other DSLRs are cheaper than the C100II, they "forbidden" from having 4K.

If I wasn't pissed at Canon as a DSLR manufacturer before, I surely am now.

It's not that simple, canon explained it before and it has been asked many times.

"My smartphone X,Y,Z can shoot in 4k, why can't canon product X,Y,Z do the same??".

The problem is heat, anything APS-C and above shooting in 4k produces a massive amount of heat. Look at Sony, their cameras are actually shutting down to protect the internals from melting during 4k recording.

It's not the case that Canon wants to "protect their EOS line", they're entirely different markets, it's a technological problem.

It is far more complex than just a firmware update.

nope not true i have hit the 30min record limit multiple times no shut downs what so ever, whats funny is a T2i/550d i had multiple times stop working because it got to hot but my 5d3 does not and those shot only 1080p.

Upvote 0

M_S

Jul 31, 2013
jeffa4444 said:
Canon Rumors said:
We’re told that the upcoming Canon EOS-1D X Mark II (if that’s the name) will indeed shoot 4K video, which sounds like good news. However, we’re told not to expect a very video orientated product, as the camera’s primary focus will be on the still photographer. We’re also told that this will be the only next generation DSLR in the lineup that will shoot 4K video at launch.</p>
<p>There will likely be another EF mount product some time in the next 18 months that will shoot 4K, but it won’t be a DSLR.</p>
<p>Not much else is being said about the next iteration of Canon’s flagship DSLR.</p>
Maybe its in the words "that will shoot 4K video at launch". Conceivably Canon could launch a 5D MKIV and retrospectively apply 4K in a firmware upgrade. Arri have steadily improved the Alexa from 2.8K to 3.6K since launch through hardware & software changes with the latest incarnation upresizing to UHD for instance. 36x24mm has a diagonal of 43.26mm which is Vistavision in cinema terms or twice the area of the Alexa sensor. Canon are developing the 8K cinema camera but thats 16x9 cinema i.e. half frame effectively and will charge arms & legs for it and the pictures will be oversampled to 4K long into the conceivable future.
Not all 4K is equal just as not all 6K is equal or 8K for that matter for instance Red Weapon 8K camera is Vistavision yet Arri Alexa 65 6.5K actually has a sensor larger than 70mm big pixels vs smaller pixels, full frame stills lenses verses Hasselblad Fujinon lenses with totally different DOF.
In TV and motion picture your virtually never see a DSLR any longer not with so many purpose built 4K, 6K and soon to be 8K video cameras DSLRs are a compromise just as video cameras dont make great stills cameras.

I don't buy a camera that might or might not receive an update in the future that brings a feature I want in that camera from the start. If 4K is not in the 5D IV from the get go with some descent features (Log curves, zebras, focus peaking etc) then this will be a miss and I won't purchase that camera to replace my 5d III. Easy as that. No features I want, no money from me. There are other great cameras out there which take stills and shoot great video and take my lenses.

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
Canon Rumors said:
We’re told that the upcoming Canon EOS-1D X Mark II (if that’s the name) will indeed shoot 4K video, which sounds like good news. However, we’re told not to expect a very video orientated product, as the camera’s primary focus will be on the still photographer. We’re also told that this will be the only next generation DSLR in the lineup that will shoot 4K video at launch.</p>
<p>There will likely be another EF mount product some time in the next 18 months that will shoot 4K, but it won’t be a DSLR.</p>
<p>Not much else is being said about the next iteration of Canon’s flagship DSLR.</p>

If this rumor is correct then it means that the 5D4 will not have 4K, contrary to all the other rumors out there. One or the other must be false.

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
rs said:
WeekendWarrior said:
lol Canon is running dead last in a marathon while still choosing to stop and take water breaks..

IMO, they are is screwed if they decide not to put 4K in the 5D Mark 4..

Strange, I was under the impression that Canon were years ahead of the competition when it came to putting 4K video in a stills camera.

Anyway, regarding Canon being screwed for not putting 4K in the 5D series, it depends upon which market you are talking about. If you're talking about the market of purchasers who prioritise high resolution video over everything else in a stills camera, then yes, they'll quite clearly Canon will be screwed as they will not retain that particular market with this one model.

Almost all GH4, NX1 and various recent versions of the a7 sold represent sales Canon would have made if they had been on the ball, but didn't. That represents a very significant chunk of the high end consumer market that they have basically pissed away by being so conservative.

If they had put real video features in their cameras starting from circa 70D then all those other cameras would not have happened.

That is what happens when a geriatric company does not have the foresight to see where the market is going.

And the worst part is that they STILL don't get it! 8(

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
CarlMillerPhoto said:
The super low-budget video market is not a money maker. Pure and simple. Canon isn't losing much money by not catering to that crowd. I use to cry outrage over Canon's seemingly dormant state compared to Sony and Panasonic in regards to video features. But the fact of the matter is they've been producing incredible pieces of video equipment all along, only at a much higher premium. I've shot with everything and would not trade my C100 for any of it while filming a wedding. My clients don't want 4k. Hell, they order more DVD's than blu-rays even.

Everything's a compromise. Panasonic you get poor low light performance. Sony you get poor battery life, world's worst menu/software, and overheating issues. Canon you have a smaller bank account after.

Maybe professionals shoot SD because their clients want it, but that doesn't mean that the people who shoot video for personal use on prosumer equipment want it as well. Those folk by and large DEMAND 4k because most of them have 4K TVs to watch their personal footage. SD looks complete crap on a large 4K panel, as does most HD shot by "professionals". You can immediately see when something has been shot on a small sensor camcorder style camera because it invariably has massive purple fringing on highlights as a result of light scattering on the beyer filter. As soon as you see that it screams low pixel density small sensor typical of old equipment, TV channels are full of programming containing footage like that. But "professionals" think that is ok, that viewers are stupid and will accept whatever dreck is thrown their way.

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
Canon Rumors said:
We’re also told that this will be the only next generation DSLR in the lineup that will shoot 4K video at launch.

Oof. If I have this right, this would mean:

• If you are a 5D3/5DS/5DS R user and want 4K capable stills rig, Canon says: "Go buy a 1DX II. Say goodbye to a lot of money."

• If you are a 1DX owner (or more likely, an old 1Ds3 owner) and want a 50 MP sensor, Canon says: "Go buy a 5DS/5DS R. Say goodbye to your integral grip and exclusive 1-series features."

Neither of those statements should warm our hearts.

It's possible the 'won't shoot 4K video at launch' comment gets to a theory myself and others have had before: perhaps 4k will work on the 5D4 natively but Canon won't let anyone know. It could be launched with a defeat in the firmware that blocks 4K recording -- we'd be none the wiser as the official specs and menus wouldn't have a 4K option listed. Canon would keep 4k relegated to the priciest rigs and then -- if and only if 5D4 sales tank without 4K -- voila, a firmware change is pushed out that unlocks it for us.

- A

Actually, there is an issue with European law concerning a tax on video equipment. Canon would have to pay an expensive tariff for each camera sold with full video ability. To get around this, the 30 minute recording length was instituted. So it makes sense for Canon to sell a camera with 4K physical ability but not to have any supporting firmware. I also think it's quite logical for Canon to offer a paid firmware upgrade to release this code to our cameras with full video ability (removing the 30 min max recording time). Canon would only have to pay the tax for the cameras who choose the upgrade and wish to pay for it. I see this possibility as a good thing.

Upvote 0
LetTheRightLensIn said:
as much as I hate it since I love the Canon UI compared to Nikon and love the Canon lenses, maybe it's time even to just forget Canon and not even bother with the half-way solution of adding Sony to Canon and just go Nikon all the way, if the D820 is the A7R II but with DSLR AF, 6fps FF, 7fps APS-C crop mode, yeah bye Canon.

They jsut don't care, all they care is to deliver as little as they as slowly as they can and get away with it. Maybe that works for them, but it sure don't work for me. I can't shoot video or take shots with a short term stock report (and eventually, at some point, it's gotta eventually hurt them long term, even if it may still be some time out). But their whole attitude is nothing like the old Canon I used to know.

I have serious doubts the 5D4 will even get better DR and the on chip ADC. Maybe the 5D5. But who wants to wait? Many here in this particular rather rah-rah whatever they do forum maybe, but not me.

God do you always have to be so shrill! It actually gives me a headache! No products have been released yet and I, as I suspect most people too, couldn't give 2 figs with what you decide to spend your money on!

Upvote 0
expatinasia said:
tvexecutive said:

I also shoot sports, a lot of international events, and for stills the 1D X is the best there is.

But I also shoot a lot of video, and for the type of video I do the 1D X is terrific.

I can shoot sports and do the type of video I need to do all on one machine. How great is that! Especially because international travel is concerned so weight is an issue I need to watch.

If you are also a sport shooter then I doubt you will leave Canon because the 1D X II also does 4K. Same as you did not leave Canon as the 1D X can shoot video too. That's just too funny.

+1 ... "international travel is concerned so weight"

Not just international, any air travel, weight and size of gear is really important! I travel with a Sony PXW-X70 and a Canon 5D3 with lenses, audio gear, tripods, and small lights. All the delicate stuff fits in my Pelican carry-on. I can do good photography as well as two Camera interviews or leave the Sony recording a speaker at a podium while I capture stills or do short interviews outside the main room with the 5D3 while not missing any of the main event.
The 5D3 with good video brings a lot of flexibility, and I want a 5D4 with great video, video to match or better an equivalent level of video camera

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
DanThePhotoMan said:
3kramd5 said:
DanThePhotoMan said:

720p and any other 1080p video I've showed them beforehand. The point being that 1080p is more than sufficient for just about anything, especially when 720p is still fine.

Being sufficient and being unable to tell a difference are not the same. I have DVD and BluRay copies of many movies. I'm happy watching DVD - it's sufficient. I can certainly tell the difference watching BluRay.

DanThePhotoMan said:
Go ahead and look at the 4k video that is coming from your A7r2. Ask almost any videographer and guess what? They prefer the look of the 1080p from the A7s. More resolution does not make a better image.

I don't even have compatible memory cards to record 4k on it; I don't shoot video.

Obviously more resolution doesn't necessarily* make a better image (and note I never used the word better). My point is: you can not tell the difference between two things when only one thing is presented.

*depending on the final medium, it may.

Upvote 0
ajay said:
I have been a Canon shooter for 20 years +. I always felt Canon produced the best lenses and cameras on the market. Since the 5D Mark II, they have been falling behind the pack.

I once owned the 1DX but preferred the 5D Mark III due to the weight of the camera and lack of silent shooting (at least at multiple frames per second).

However, I now also own a Panasonic GH4 that I use almost exclusively for 4k video.

I have a hard time seeing myself plunk down at least 5k on a 1DX II for 4k video...and then we don't know what kind of features it will have. Things like focus peaking are a must.

If the 5D Mark IV doesn't have 4k, I guarantee you my next camera will not be Canon since nowadays I do just as much filming as photography.

For the past few years I have really grown to be disappointed in Canon's product line.

Their market share will continue to erode unless they come out with cameras that beat the competition.

AJ

Here we go again... Is their market share eroding? Hint: your personal experience is an anecdote, not data. Where's Neuro when you need him?

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
dilbert said:
We’re told that the upcoming Canon EOS-1D X Mark II (if that’s the name) will indeed shoot 4K video, which sounds like good news. However, we’re told not to expect a very video orientated product, as the camera’s primary focus will be on the still photographer. We’re also told that this will be the only next generation DSLR in the lineup that will shoot 4K video at launch.

Go back to this person and ask them why they qualified their statement with "at launch." Otherwise it sounds more or less like the current 1DX for HD video: basic capabilities but nothing fancy.

It implies that Canon are working on 4K video capability that could be delivered in a firmware update?

Magic Lantern have shown that higher resolution video is possible on various Canon cameras, so it will be interesting to see what is possible there.

I hope this turns the next round of DSLRs from Canon into flops when compared to other vendors. Canon are clearly ignoring where the market is going, likely to protect the Cinema EOS line.

Or to put it more simply, the 1DXII can have 4K because it is more expensive than the C100MarkII and because other DSLRs are cheaper than the C100II, they "forbidden" from having 4K.

If I wasn't pissed at Canon as a DSLR manufacturer before, I surely am now.

The company that is producing DSLRs today seems to be completely different to the one that launched the 5D Mark II. Where is *that* Canon?

Sounds like fair business to me! You must pay more to get more. What is the problem here?

Upvote 0