Canon EOS-1D X Mark III appears on latest product list

Jan 29, 2011
I'm dreaming of a RF 24mm T&S f2.8 this lens should be so much better designed for the rf mount. maybe 2021?
The RF mount should, in theory, allow greater tilt and shift, not so important for wider angle lenses but it would greatly benefit the longer focal lengths, to be honest the TS-E 135 is severely limited by the flange distance and 'throat' the mirror requires and could really use 30º to 45º of tilt rather than the pathetic 10º it actually has. Not sure the R design would allow that much before shadowing but it would certainly be much better than the EF design.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
The RF mount should, in theory, allow greater tilt and shift, not so important for wider angle lenses but it would greatly benefit the longer focal lengths, to be honest the TS-E 135 is severely limited by the flange distance and 'throat' the mirror requires and could really use 30º to 45º of tilt rather than the pathetic 10º it actually has. Not sure the R design would allow that much before shadowing but it would certainly be much better than the EF design.
PBD. What is your view on what vignetting on RF mount may looks like at say 30 degrees of tilt? Just thinking.

Upvote 0
Because you can easily use PL and ND filters with the adapter, it is very awkward or expensive to use filters with most of my listed lenses, the TS-E 24-50-90-135 can use regular filters but using an adapter means one fits them all and you will never get filter vignetting however much you tilt and shift.

oh, well that's not a huge deal and i am guessing this adapter thing you mean is not a full spectrum solution anyway such as for using grad ND or stacking ND+PL or Grads top and bottom.

I am already covered for the 17 using Fotodiox system. Now, if there were a way to combine front filtering with something between lens and body, then that would certainly expand the usefulness.

Upvote 0
The RF mount should, in theory, allow greater tilt and shift, not so important for wider angle lenses but it would greatly benefit the longer focal lengths,

I never really thought about this but I can say that what I could capture with my 4x5 lenses is still not matched. The Schnieder XL's were really amazing. My most used ones were 58 and 72 but I also did a lot for years with the Nikor SW 65, 75, 90 and Rodenstock 45, 55, 120S - To be honest, I miss that time.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Let's just say that you need to wait until the new year just a tad few days after CES 2020 when something BIG is coming ... IT IS NOT OUR 50.3 megapixel MF camera which is coming later...but rather a "VERY VERY INTERESTING RUMOUR" which I haven't yet confirmed yet with certain Asian "engineering sources" but when I saw the example in-the-wild-imagery from my usual European sources, I was EXTREMELY IMPRESSED that Canon is even contemplating "this" !!!!

It's a Doozy from Canon!

I definitely recall one of your 'rumours' not so long ago that Canon was bringing some technologically 'interesting' stuff but were barking up the wrong tree and would be rendered irrelevant by other companies.

As for that phone-cum-brick with the amazing sensor being released 'soon' .....not seen that yet.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2019
The new 1Dx III wil just be a little upgrade from the mark II.
A little better ISO performance, a little more K video, a little more resolution, a little faster, a little more accurate.
No IBIS, no Mirrorless, just same old same old, just a little upgrade. Of course with a lot of spin/marketing online on vague terms as deep learning AF blablabla.
If we are lucky we get eye AF in mirror up modus, but I'm affraid even that is not the case.

2020 is the time Canon must show what they can put up against the supersharp and accurate (eye AF) sony mirrorless cameras, or the only thing we see in 2021 from Canon is a new printer.

Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
A little better ISO performance, a little more K video, a little more resolution, a little faster, a little more accurate.
No IBIS, no Mirrorless, just same old same old, just a little upgrade. Of course with a lot of spin/marketing online on vague terms as deep learning AF blablabla.
If we are lucky we get eye AF in mirror up modus, but I'm affraid even that is not the case.

2020 is the time Canon must show what they can put up against the supersharp and accurate (eye AF) sony mirrorless cameras, or the only thing we see in 2021 from Canon is a new printer.
Better resolution "detail" and better focus with lower noise is hard to argue with. If they upped the MP's on top of that, it could be enough to sway people.

A friend I respect in the film industry spoke of 6K being the sweet spot to pull frames and punch out stills.

I don't know what the future holds, but I sure hope Canon will add enough MP's to push the majority of us over the edge to buy the multiple copies we would need.

Best to you

Upvote 0
Canon sells the WFT-E9 transmitter again .. They really like to exploit people !!!!!!!!
I decided to switch to Sony !!! Do you make a big body like a truck and manage to incorporate a wifi ??? you are really smart ...........
Arrivederci Canon.
What does RF lenses have to do with this topic ??
I've been using canon 1dx mk2 for 3 years and they've only done 2 firmware updates.
this is MARKETING...
Remember what you can do with Magic Lantern...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

LOOL
do you really think it is NOT possible to get a great eye AF out of a 8(?)MP AF sensor and you really think canon don't want to implement it in their 1d series?
why you not just say "canon is doomed"?

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Canon sells the WFT-E9 transmitter again .. They really like to exploit people !!!!!!!!
I decided to switch to Sony !!! Do you make a big body like a truck and manage to incorporate a wifi ??? you are really smart ...........
[..]

If you bothered to read the Canon announcement you'd see that the 1DxIII does have wifi builtin, the WFT-E9 is for extended range and speeds.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Apart from the development announcement already telling us that the 1DX III is shaping up to be a big upgrade in throughput and a major upgrade in AF functionality, it will also most likely offer what you are afraid of being left out.

Did you look any closer at the M6 II and 90D yet? There's already eye AF in LiveView and Face AF using the mirror on the 90D. With the 1DX III's boost in AF sensor resolution and processing power it should put up a serious fight when it comes to AF performance in either mode.

Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2019
I have never used eye focus in my life. It may be great, but I have worked hard at my focusing skills and can work perfectly fine without eye focus.

What you have never experienced, you can never miss my friend. My collegue uses Sony and he has a hit ratio of 9:10 against my 2:10 with my 1dx.
And I am not talking relative sharpness, but absolute crisp eyelash-cracking sharp.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
What you have never experienced, you can never miss my friend. My collegue uses Sony and he has a hit ratio of 9:10 against my 2:10 with my 1dx.
And I am not talking relative sharpness, but absolute crisp eyelash-cracking sharp.
If you are only getting a hit rate of 20% you are doing something wrong or your camera has an issue. I’m not saying anything about comparative hit rates just pointing out that a 20% hit rate is not acceptable for any camera system.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Travel_Photographer

Travel, Landscape, Architecture
Aug 30, 2019
If you are only getting a hit rate of 20% you are doing something wrong or your camera has an issue. I’m not saying anything about comparative hit rates just pointing out that a 20% hit rate is not acceptable for any camera system.

I think that depends on what you're photographing and what look you're going for creatively. Eye-detect AF has been an absolute game-changer for me and I bought an RP in large part because of it.

If I'm trying to photograph my 3-year old playing, running and darting with an 85mm F1.8 wide open and him filling the frame, it's nearly impossible to get more than a 20% hit rate without eye AF. The DoF at that distance is tiny. No other AF method could produce the consistency I get with eye AF in servo mode at that aperture. Sure you could change aperture, distance, or focal length for more DoF, but I don't have to compromise my vision for the photo with eye AF. I get amazing background blur and tack sharp eyes pretty much every photo.

I wouldn't buy a camera going forward without it. I'd be surprised if the new 1D didn't have it in some capacity.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Apart from the development announcement already telling us that the 1DX III is shaping up to be a big upgrade in throughput and a major upgrade in AF functionality, it will also most likely offer what you are afraid of being left out.

Did you look any closer at the M6 II and 90D yet? There's already eye AF in LiveView and Face AF using the mirror on the 90D. With the 1DX III's boost in AF sensor resolution and processing power it should put up a serious fight when it comes to AF performance in either mode.
I think that some people would rather predict doom and gloom in order to troll to the highest possible level rather than look at the information available and make a considered comment. Fact is it is likely to be just as you say. The 90d and M6 mk2 are brilliant cameras every bit as capable as anything else in the apsc market. It is highly unlikely that the 1dx3 will be anything but the best camera in the FF market.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0