Canon EOS-1D X Mark III field testing has begun [CR2]

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
What were they working out with those models? I just read a review of them that said everything on them works fine. I don't think Canon was debugging its system. It just didn't see a point in releasing a pro body when there were only 4-5 lenses it could use, and which body would then be out of date by the time there were over a dozen. Then as now: take a year or two to build up the lens system, and let the pro market start penciling in a purchase of the forthcoming model when they see your commitment. THEN release the pro model. It worked before. I don't see why it won't keep working.
They are not going to tell you what they were looking at.
I never said debugging. They were working things out like speed of AF, tracking AF and I am sure many other things in programming.
Canon is not like Sony coming out with half baked junk needing many iterations to fix. Canon comes out with a beautifully working complete camera and system. Then as technology changes introduces new models to take advantage of that like processors etc. No they do not always lead, except for the EF system led the world for 30 years before others began to approach it.

Aug 22, 2010
Uk
www.GMCPhotographics.co.uk
How many hours did you spend with each so far? What do you think the technical hurdle could possibly be in mirrorless AF not keeping up with the SLR models?
If you are concerned to my photographic credentials...go look me up. My name googles well. I've also been here a long time and I regularly post to this forums pages such as the various lens and camera pages here with portfolio imagery. Where as...you seem to have arrived here late December 2018...and have posted only dialogue. You claim to have a 600mm f4, a very serious piece of kit...so let s see some pictures. Pop them in 600mm f4 LIS page.

• Haha
Reactions: CanonFanBoy

SwissFrank

EOS RP
Dec 9, 2018
More than enough
No-one's going to take your self-appraisal for something like that. Why don't you just tell us the weeks' experience you've had learning it, and we'll decide whether it's enough or not.

borne from observation of the hoard of wildlife and sports photographers NOT migrating to the Eos R....
How does mere observation magically inform you that AF is the issue, not, say, battery life, memory slots, megapixels, a lack of budget to roll over kit, or lack of information (or indeed, disinformation) about the new system?

SwissFrank

EOS RP
Dec 9, 2018
If you are concerned to my photographic credentials... I regularly post to this forums pages... You claim to have a 600mm f4....
I don't care about your credentials; given that lots of horrible photographers may be good judges of AF and good photographers be bad judges... best travel photog I know turns out not to have even understood diffraction for her 20 years. Regular posting also doesn't demonstrate you know what you're talking about.

Owning or shooting good shots with my 600mm tell you nothing about my appraisal of AF, but since you ask,

Reactions: GMCPhotographics

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
No-one's going to take your self-appraisal for something like that. Why don't you just tell us the weeks' experience you've had learning it, and we'll decide whether it's enough or not.

How does mere observation magically inform you that AF is the issue, not, say, battery life, memory slots, megapixels, a lack of budget to roll over kit, or lack of information (or indeed, disinformation) about the new system?
So you have a group of working photographers with good quality gear... Canon starts down the mirrorless path with a low end FF mirrorless and an introductory model. Neither of these units are a significant improvement (and in many ways a downgrade) from the 5D series cameras that most working pros tend towards. The same holds true for the fanatical birders....

Why would these people consider changing systems at this point? Doesn't it make more sense to wait until some higher end mirrorless come out, and to wait for the current gear to get aged out?

Feb 3, 2019
Yesterday I was at a conference, there were two photographers, one of them sold his Canon gear and was now working with Sony Alpha. The other one was using the 1Dx mark II. Damn, that noisy shutter was disturbing .. and man what a relief to be able to work in complete silence.

To me it is clear that the 'noisy times' are over. Maybe at a football field people don't mind you firing like a machinegun, but EVERYWERE ELSE those times are over. My fellow photographers are not happy with Canon (unsharp, fuzzyness, front/backfocus etc). Some lenses are sharp, some others arent, it sometimes seems a matter of luck (I use microadjust and CPS service, don't worry) and on top of that the silent mode makes them switching to Sony one after the other. Sharper, Silent, and cheaper! It just does not feel good anymore to spend money on gear you simply cannot trust. So Canon needs to step up and make sure every single camera and every single lens is spot on crispy sharp without any (AF) issues.

So to wrap up: If Canon decides to make the 1Dx III as expensive as their predecessors and make a noisy shutter again, they will sell a few to sports photographers, but even they are switching to eye-focus camera's such as Sony. And NO I AM NOT SONY related, I am just a Canon user myself.

So PLEASE CANON, make that camera affordable and silent!
And built in WIFI please or this thing will absolutely not sell.
Merci!

Reactions: Pape

SwissFrank

EOS RP
Dec 9, 2018
Yesterday I was at a conference, there were two photographers, one of them sold his Canon gear and was now working with Sony Alpha. The other one was using the 1Dx mark II. Damn, that noisy shutter was disturbing .. and man what a relief to be able to work in complete silence.
So PLEASE CANON, make that camera affordable and silent!
And built in WIFI please or this thing will absolutely not sell.
Merci!
The EOS R is utterly silent (except for aperture, if you're not shooting wide-open) in silent mode.

The EOS R also has Bluetooth and Wifi. You can see the liveview on your smartphone or PC, adjust focus point, change camera settings and shoot. Then, you can have the camera automatically upload the resulting images.

I'm not saying the R is pro-use. Ergonomics are poor due to the smaller body. Battery life is 1/3 what it needs to be and it needs another memory slot. But, I'd expect doodads like Wifi and Bluetooth that are in the mid-level MILFF will surely be in the high-end SLR. Conversely the next sensor will surely be shared between the SLR and the MILFF, so if the SLR is too loud, the pro R will be what you want.

QuisUtDeus

EOS 80D
Feb 20, 2019
problem with saquatch and ufo photographing is those thingies can see to future. All they need do to avoid getting photographed is choosing path what doesnt lead to getting photographed. Some lucky peoples may get photoes from drunken sasquatch but so rare thing ,its usually amateur photographer with crappy equipemnts.
This also means that carrying around a big fancy camera makes you UFO-abduction-proof. Win!

3kramd5

EOS 5D MK IV
Mar 2, 2012
The EOS R is utterly silent (except for aperture, if you're not shooting wide-open) in silent mode.

The EOS R also has Bluetooth and Wifi. You can see the liveview on your smartphone or PC, adjust focus point, change camera settings and shoot. Then, you can have the camera automatically upload the resulting images.

I'm not saying the R is pro-use. Ergonomics are poor due to the smaller body. Battery life is 1/3 what it needs to be and it needs another memory slot. But, I'd expect doodads like Wifi and Bluetooth that are in the mid-level MILFF will surely be in the high-end SLR. Conversely the next sensor will surely be shared between the SLR and the MILFF, so if the SLR is too loud, the pro R will be what you want.

Attachments

Feb 25, 2019
I cannot imagine that a presentation is going to be long enough to figure out how to use the camera.

It certainly focuses extremely quickly once you learn how it works.

You can certainly run the entire camera with the right hand. If you want two hands, you can use the left for support as usual, as well as zoom, focus, and if you want, adjusting the control ring (I have it set for aperture in A P and F modes).

My recommendation is to use the touch bar for AF mode, and the right-hand part of the touch screen in relative mode to move focus point. If you haven't tried that mode, long enough to get used to it, you wouldn't know enough to make a decision.
Yes, certainly a longer test is better. I had the camera for an hour to test in the hand and have only these impressions. I did not understand how to set the focus point quickly with just the right hand and without putting the camera off the eye. The Canon presenter had no idea.
With a 1DX II one is very spoiled (I only miss a quieter mode) and the R did not feel like an improvement. I'm waiting for an R pro.

SwissFrank

EOS RP
Dec 9, 2018
I did not understand how to set the focus point quickly with just the right hand and without putting the camera off the eye. The Canon presenter had no idea.
FOR NON-SERVO AF: hit the trashcan to center the AF point, momentarily put that over your subject and half-depress shutter. Then reframe and camera will continue to focus on that target, even taking into account non-flat or non-spherical plane of focus Since it is using the contrast at the actual pixels, it will absolutely nail sharpness of even with the 85/1.2 if you do this. In contrast, "single-focus and recompose" on an SLR, even if your subject and your camera don't move by even 1cm, still won't nail focus with a huge aperture, because the DOF will be far less than the amount of plane-of-focus variance. THIS IS HUGE: the SLRs literally cannot focus accurately enough for the 50/1.0, 85/1.2 etc. with "single-focus and recompose" whereas the R will nail it to the centimeter or less.

FOR SERVO AF: the above should work, but if you want to avoid even the recompose time, use the far-right AF tool (big box) and let the camera simply pick the subject. This should do more or less what the 1D or whatever would choose. If it picks the right thing, you're done. If not, just swipe the touch screen to move the focal point. Once you let go of the touch screen, the camera will follow the object you gave it. For instance if two joggers are transiting left to right, and you want to shoot the far one, just use a big AF box and let the camera find the nearer jogger. Then touch-screen the focus over to the farther one, and the camera will follow them. Even with other things passing in front or behind of your target, or if you have trouble panning and they're completely out of frame a couple seconds, it should be fine.

And specifically for faces and especially single faces: face mode servo is probably all you need for portraits or fashion (just guessing).

3-4 params control how fast it should expect the subject to move, how long to wait for it if it seems obscured, and the like. If you haven't spent the 90 minutes playing with those, then you haven't used the camera enough to comment on how well it AFs.