Canon EOS-1D X Mark III field testing has begun [CR2]

Jan 29, 2011
To be a bit pedantic: USB-C is a form factor, not a protocol. The protocol speeds are like this:
  • USB 3.1 gen 1 (rebranded USB 3.0) allows for 5gbps over a single lane
  • USB 3.1 gen 2 allows for 10gbps over a single lane
  • USB 3.2 gen 2x2 allows for an extra lane, so 2x 10gbps or 2x 5gbps.
  • Thunderbolt 3 allows for 40gbps over an USB-C cable
The USB spec tends to rebrand N-1 as N in some form e.g. USB2 'full speed' is actually USB1 speed and the 3.1gen1 thing above, so this list will probably be wrong in the future :)
Sorry, I should have said USB-C/USB 3.1 gen 2.

However Thunderbolt 3 does not allow for 40Gbps over a USB-C cable, they might look the same (but for the lightening bolt and the 3 on them) but they don’t perform the same. If you want Thunderbolt 3 speeds you have to use Thunderbolt 3 cables.

Upvote 0
EVFs are also next to worthless in astro conditions. I can see and manually focus stars and even the Milky Way through a good OVF. I have yet to get anything but static in LiveView or in an EVF under the same conditions. Not to mention that an EVF destroys your night vision in one eye. I'll grant that when I'm shooting astro I'm generally reviewing the shot and thereby wrecking my night vision any way, but I could leave my night vision untouched with an OVF. No option to with mirrorless.

Fwiw when I've done astrophotography, I've focused in Live View exclusively, although it only works on brighter stars zoomed in at 10x.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
--

I kinda beg to differ on that, as our parent company uses the Canon 1Dx Mk2 AS a video camera system for various internal uses AND they bought 32 of them! Yes they bought the 1Dc too but they only bought four of them but once the 1Dx2 came out, they right away got 32 of them too. And when the DCI 4K C700 Global Shutter Cinema Camera came out, they bought 32 of them! AND 32 of the Sony Venice 6K. It depends upon the company, You can use ANY type of camera system for whatever video or still photo use you want. You just have to have the money to buy them. (the parent company can afford it! They're BIG!) Again imagining the amount that was spend to by 64 Fujinon Cinema Zoom lenses! THAT was an incredible bill. Good thing IT WASN'T MY MONEY!

I love how you think fictional examples from a fictitious company are evidence as counterexamples. No, wait, I mean I hate it.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...Or are you working in academia shooting college sports in the last bastion of the staff photographer with a near unlimited gear budget provided by Uncle Sam's near-limitless student loan guarantees? Just wait until some administrator gets the bright idea to hire out-of-work former PJ's as part-time adjuncts to teach the 'photography/new media journalism/whatever they're calling it these days' classes and let the students pay the school to do all of the shooting. I've seen it happen in more than one place...

I have no idea what your comments have to do with the discussion. You would have been better off to just be quiet after your first response. But, since you ask. I do work for a small, underfunded, private college that serves mostly minority students. There is no budget for photo equipment and nothing is provided by my employer. As for the future viability, I really don't care. I came out of retirement to take this job because I believe in the mission of the school to serve students, mostly students of color, who are not being served by either public universities or the shrinking class of elite private colleges that skim off the top students and leave no option for the great majority of students. It would please me no end if the school were to begin offering classes in photography and allow the students to take over. However, I could not in good conscience recommend that because I don't believe in training students for jobs that do not exist, nor do I see the budget available to provide the necessary equipment to support such a course.

Upvote 0
The AF **and** MF aids are so good I think the R utterly blows away all the SLRs, even the next SLR whatever it is. The R can focus **PERFECTLY** while the SLR's simply can't. .
Because of the poor autofocus function, I did not buy the R. In the harsh photo everyday, I have to be able to focus and trigger very quickly with one hand. A 1DX II is the R superior in all respects.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
I'd agree in terms of native mount sport lenses, but the camera architecture's basically proven I think. Unless I'm overlooking something, any sensor in the DSLRs you can even more easily put in an R-type body. The main shortcomings of the R, like dual memories or doubling battery, are trivial to implement. Ditto the few weird things in the UI. (Example, in Fv mode you can pick AUTO off the backscreen GUI but not on the jog wheels.)

Should they have the same sensor available for a pro R as they do for the 1DX II, I'd prefer to shoot the Olympics with the pro R and adapters. Heck, even the current R probably cannot be matched for AF and MF by the 1DX II.

You might be overlooking something...

I sold my EOS-1Ds MkIII, EF 24-105/4LIS, EF 50/1.2L, and EOS M+kit zoom, for the R+RF24-105/4LIS. The AF **and** MF aids are so good I think the R utterly blows away all the SLRs, even the next SLR whatever it is. The R can focus **PERFECTLY** while the SLR's simply can't. And because the SLR's can't, they can't even make use of 30MP much less 50+. Maybe on tripod at f/8 but handheld? Wide-open? Fast action? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha forget it..

As has been said repeatedly, Canon has not demonstrated that they can achieve anything close to a 1D level burst speed with full servo Dual Pixel AF. Good luck selling the R's 5.5fps (3fps in focus priority) burst mode to an Olympic shooter. Even the original 1D was faster than that. Or, in your own words, "Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha forget it."

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
With the EF rollout in 1987, the EOS-1 was like their 4th or 5th body. They have to build a reasonable number of lenses before making it available, and ten is about what they had when the EOS-1 came out. They'll start with the trinity of zooms, three alternative standard lenses (the f/2, the f/4, and the f/1.2 prime), and a peppering of other lenses on the side. That's enough to allow a pro to start working.

I had every EOS-1 from 1995 to 2008, and just now switching to the RF I just don't see what specifically about it wouldn't be just as good with a 50MP or 70MP sensor, two memories, double-size battery, and a vertical grip. Technologically they're ready for it. They just want acceptance to build a bit and for the lenses to be there when they actually release it.

I have said as you have regarding introduction of the pro bodies in the past especially the first EOS cameras were not. They have the technology but want to test certain parameters etc. before introducing the pro model. I am totally on board with this and applaud canon's conservatism vs others rushing flawed junk out just to be first. The whole EOS concept was "Late" to the dance but was right the first time rater than going through 8 different iterations to try to get it right as others did before they finally caught up with how Canon did it from the start.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
I don't think so. If 1DX were $3000, Canon would not sell millions of them, because it isn't a great camera for a lot if casual and enthusiast photographers. It is too heavy and large for a lot of people, a lot of folks don't care about a rotatable/gripped body, and in the midrange, megapixels sell cameras, especially where a user wants to be able to crop more deeply (possibly because they don't want to swap lenses or don't own a longer lens).

And anyways, I don't see even the perfect full frame ILC selling millions of units af $3k - that is just too much money for a lot of people.

The thought is not the 1D series.
It is the R (1) series.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
OK. OK. OK. There are people who buy the 1D X Mark II to use primarily as a video camera. I hear you. I just haven't run into any of them.

Having said that, I'm sure Canon would prefer one buy a 1D X (Mark whatever) for stills and a C whatever for video. That's what seems to drive a lot of their decisions about what they do and don't include in specific models: a way to dangle that last carrot to get you to buy both.
Maybe you haven't run into this post yet - or YT for that matter :)
https://www.canonrumors.com/all-of-...ies-at-the-oscars-were-shot-on-canon-cameras/

Upvote 0
Dumb question. Why not just keep the smartphone in the pocket? :alien:

---

Interestingly, those child's plasticky Fisher Price and VTech still and video cameras are actually TOUGH AS NAILS! They can take a beating that leaves even the Canon 1Dx Mk2 in the dust!

Those Fisher Price and Vtech cameras may be only 640 by 480 or 1280x720 pixel at 15 fps, but they can definitely take the worst from even the most tantrum-beast of a child AND they tend to have large easy-to-use buttons, so if it can take such a pounding, it might be a good idea to have one around. My smartphone is far too expensive and delicate to take into the vast wilderness and wet weather of the Pacific Northwest, but those rather rugged Fisher Price / VTech toys cameras were only $49 so you can't beat the price!

Again, they MIGHT buy you a new house IF you finally take that SHARP and CLEAR photo or video of some Sasquatch, UFO and/or Alien!

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
I'm sorry but I disagree. I think on the R the technology is already 100% mature. I just think their problem is timing:

What if they sold the EOS-1 model now? Little uptake because 1) few lenses and 2) people are just conservative and institutions often plan these purchases a year or so ahead of time. So no or low sales.

Then when a lot of lenses are available, and the camera's been on the market for a year or two... now it's no longer a new camera, and Nikon/Sony come out with a pro body... so again no or low sales.

Instead, by releasing several models at the beginning, just as they did with the EOS 650 and 620 in 1987, they're mostly killing time while they build up the lens line, and letting just enough "bleeding edge" adapters start using the new tech to get the market familiar with it. THEN, in 2020 or whenever, they can release the pro R, and people will know the concept well enough from the early-adopters, and there will be be 10-15 native lenses plus all the adapted optics to choose from.

You could be right.
We shall see.
But I do believe they are still working things out as they did with the 650 and 620 models.

Upvote 0
Harry... :rolleyes: The aliens disable advanced cameras with EMP weapons that they shared with Sasquatch. Your only hope is to use primitive technology. 1980s style camcorder or 8mm film.

---

My dad has an old Bolex-style film camera AND some still usable Regular-8 and Super-8 film...I may have to give those a whirl. We'll See! I more worried if Sasquatch is actually a MACHINE -- an autonomous furry Terminator robots sent by the Alien to rip our arms and heads off if we get too close! You can watch all the Youtube "National Parks 411" reports about people MYSTERIOUSLY disappearing from U.S. and Canadian wilderness areas and sometimes being found completely dismembered as if ripped apart by a POWERFUL and GIANT bi-pedal or other monsterous being!

There's LOTS of stories out there! Take a Look on Youtube and various websites!

Upvote 0
problem with saquatch and ufo photographing is those thingies can see to future. All they need do to avoid getting photographed is choosing path what doesnt lead to getting photographed. Some lucky peoples may get photoes from drunken sasquatch but so rare thing ,its usually amateur photographer with crappy equipemnts.

===

Haven't you watched Finding Bigfoot or those crazy Mountain Men BigFoot Hunters TV shows? They actually found some Moonshiners in the US deep south who had their local "Skunk Ape" eating all the Sourmash which is one of the byproducts of illegal Moonshine alcohol distilling! Them Sasquatches were gettin' all violent after being Drunk as a Skunk from eatin' that sourmash. They ripped apart trees, destroyed stills and even threatened the moonshiners. Not even .308 rounds stopped them 'Squatches! So YUP! 'Squatches get drunk too!
Don't get'em mad though, cuz they REALLY WILL rip yer arms and head off yer body! AND THEY is strong enough to do it it with their bare hands!

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Maybe you haven't run into this post yet - or YT for that matter :)
https://www.canonrumors.com/all-of-...ies-at-the-oscars-were-shot-on-canon-cameras/

So two of the five used only 5D variants. The other three all used C300 variants. One of those three also used a 1D X Mark II, but the C300 Mark II is listed first, so probably the primary camera. Not exactly an "overwhelming" argument that "all the cinematographers" buy the 1D X variants for video. I don't spend much time on YouTube. I spend more time looking at still images at Magnum, LensCulture, etc. I'm a stills photographer.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I sold my EOS-1Ds MkIII, EF 24-105/4LIS, EF 50/1.2L, and EOS M+kit zoom, for the R+RF24-105/4LIS. The AF **and** MF aids are so good I think the R utterly blows away all the SLRs, even the next SLR whatever it is. The R can focus **PERFECTLY** while the SLR's simply can't. And because the SLR's can't, they can't even make use of 30MP much less 50+. Maybe on tripod at f/8 but handheld? Wide-open? Fast action? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha forget it.

I have no idea where you're getting this. My 5Ds focuses perfectly with a number of lenses. Hand held, wide open, fast action.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I don't know how you shoot, so I don't know how your 1DX II works under the conditions you need to shoot, but I've got a 10-frame burst of my 5-year-old son running towards me from like 7 to 1 meter, with the RF50/1.2 WIDE OPEN, and every shot is sharp enough to count his eyelashes. He's not even centered, he's all over the frames, but face-tracking followed him.

Mirrorless cameras have better AI subject acquisition and tracking. DSLRs have better point acquisition and tracking. An R can face track a child wandering around the frame at 3-5 fps. A 1DX II can track a sprinter approaching the photographer at 14 fps, but you have to keep an AF point on him.

Upvote 0