Canon EOS-1D X Mark III rumoured specifications [CR1]

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
It's a CR1 and honestly, with some common sense, such jump in specs in 1D series from previous generation is highly unlikable yet people are stoked as if it is done deal. :rolleyes: The wonders of how some people react to such threads never ceases to amaze me.

A few months ago I would have agreed. But now, in the context of the 90D and the M6II, these specs seem perfectly reasonable. Canon really made a huge jump in throughput.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
A few months ago I would have agreed. But now, in the context of the 90D and the M6II, these specs seem perfectly reasonable. Canon really made a huge jump in throughput.
There is a small issue there: a mirror assembly. That little physical flapping piece of mirror that have to travel up and down 30 times a second. Slim chances. Electronic shutter is a possibility. Theoretically and with limitations.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Sounds promising. Canon has a chance to close the gap with Sony's incremental update of the A9 II. I hope they pack the 1DX III with enough features to make the choice between switching to mirrorless a really tough one (for now at least).
Nuh, that makes a very little sense commercially. Sorry. money is on the SLR to MILC transition. Hence all these amazing new Canon RF lenses are popping up like mushrooms after the good rain.
Anything that does not take RF glass is a Sunset strategy for Canon at this stage.

Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
Using the 1DXMKII since it's inception, I find it to be an excellent camera. Honestly, as a sports shooter I don't need more than 15fps. I would prefer to stay at 15fps and up the MP's so I can use the camera more for fashion work too. Then give me more cross-points then the center 64 I so love and two CFast card slots. Now let's up the AF capabilities and give me a bit more DR. Color rendition could also be improved even though I only shoot in RAW, I do find a magenta / purple bias when shooting outdoor sports over ocean/seas. I would LOVE auto MA of my lenses. Built-in WI-FI to transit my shots when I can't be wired. Wireless control of Canon flashes. OVF that goes to +4 vs. +3. Auto Color Profile generator that works with photoshop or DPP to make colors foolproof. Just plug your camera into your MAC or PC and your colors are "Perfect" each time and every time. For those of use who shoot with multiple 1DXMKII's now you understand. Just my 2 cents..... Ability to bracket exposure from Eval to Spot etc would be great in difficult sports lighting situations like back-lit and bright sun.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Using the 1DXMKII since it's inception, I find it to be an excellent camera. Honestly, as a sports shooter I don't need more than 15fps. I would prefer to stay at 15fps and up the MP's so I can use the camera more for fashion work too. Then give me more cross-points then the center 64 I so love and two CFast card slots. Now let's up the AF capabilities and give me a bit more DR. Color rendition could also be improved even though I only shoot in RAW, I do find a magenta / purple bias when shooting outdoor sports over ocean/seas. I would LOVE auto MA of my lenses. Built-in WI-FI to transit my shots when I can't be wired. Wireless control of Canon flashes. OVF that goes to +4 vs. +3. Auto Color Profile generator that works with photoshop or DPP to make colors foolproof. Just plug your camera into your MAC or PC and your colors are "Perfect" each time and every time. For those of use who shoot with multiple 1DXMKII's now you understand. Just my 2 cents..... Ability to bracket exposure from Eval to Spot etc would be great in difficult sports lighting situations like back-lit and bright sun.
I am totaly on board with the resolution. I think it would make the 1D way more versatile.
Also people keep saying, that "real pros" dont want resoltuion, they want good low-light performance. But thats just no reason at all - the 5D IV got a much higher resolution and the low light performance is totaly similar. I use both for weddings and I cant tell which is which (only that I can crop much better on the 5D)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
CR1 can be a great deal above pure BS. Remember this rumor for the M6 II specs that was rated CR1. It got most specs correct and the ones that are off can be explained by different prototype designs. For example, the FPS being only 14 instead of 16 FPS.

It really doesn't seem so unreasonable to me.
Some things could be good guesses or obvious though.

Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
I think the 30 FPS will almost certainly be a live view burst mode and without focus tracking.
The biggest surprise and excitement for future models for me is the inclusion on IBIS! If Canon are comfortable with putting it in a 1 Series body then it must be very capable, and as others have stated, durable!

oh how I long for a 7D3 with IBIS!

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
There is a small issue there: a mirror assembly. That little physical flapping piece of mirror that have to travel up and down 30 times a second. Slim chances. Electronic shutter is a possibility. Theoretically and with limitations.

I don't think anybody here thinks that the 30 fps figure, if true, is with the mirror flapping. That would be just silly. It's within the realms of possibility that it's doable with the mechanical shutter, but more likely with e-shutter à la M6 II. But what seems all but certain is that Canon is not going to introduce a revolutionary feature like 30fps RAW burst (with full AF and pre-buffering) and then not put it in their flagship sports&action body.

I think the 30 FPS will almost certainly be a live view burst mode and without focus tracking.

That wouldn't make much sense seeing how the M6 II 30fps burst mode does have focus tracking.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I don't think anybody here thinks that the 30 fps figure, if true, is with the mirror flapping. That would be just silly. It's within the realms of possibility that it's doable with the mechanical shutter, but more likely with e-shutter à la M6 II. But what seems all but certain is that Canon is not going to introduce a revolutionary feature like 30fps RAW burst (with full AF and pre-buffering) and then not put it in their flagship sports&action body.

[..]

That wouldn't make much sense seeing how the M6 II 30fps burst mode does have focus tracking.

The M6II does the raw burst with a single digic 8, I would image it could do a lot more with a digic 9 or a dual digic 9 as the CR1 states.

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Two different kinds of buyers. There are people who want nothing but full frame. There are people who want nothing but crop or can only afford crop. The 1D line is far and away above the 7D series. Plenty of daylight between them.
And there are those of us who have both FF and APS-C bodies and use them for different purposes. 28MP FF is about 10MP in Canon APS-C and about 12.5MP on Nikon APS-C.

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Seems to me you are connecting two issues that are in two different ball fields:

1. If you are upset that Canon isn't supplying replacement parts for bodies only 3-5 years old, that would seem to be a valid concern. Frankly a surprising one to me.

2. Your other point, regarding Canon and Nikon (I suppose they are included) bringing out "junk" for new equipment. Well, you are entitled to your opinion even if it is without basis.

Unfortunately your delivery of point #2 hurts your credibility in buying what you are selling in #1. Take it as you will, I'm entitled to my opinion as well.
My guess is that Canon does a lifetime buy of spare parts for models that have been replaced and when those parts run out, the body becomes irreparable. I've run into the same issue with 20-year old Canon lenses, as well as lawn mowers.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Sounds promising. Canon has a chance to close the gap with Sony's incremental update of the A9 II. I hope they pack the 1DX III with enough features to make the choice between switching to mirrorless a really tough one (for now at least).

I'm certainly no expert, but from what I've observed and read over the past few years on these forums and elsewhere, I see it like this: the 1-series is aimed at/largely the preserve of professionals who value reliability and ruggedness above most other things, and who are the last group who will transition to mirorless (if they ever do). In that regard, the 1Dx3 doesn't need to prevent people being lured to ML - it just needs to do what the 1Dx2 does, only a bit better. Besides, it seems the expectation is a mirrorless equivalent will be released at some point in the next year or two, in which case people will be able to chooe what suits them best (a bit like the 90D/M6II position now).

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
My guess is that Canon does a lifetime buy of spare parts for models that have been replaced and when those parts run out, the body becomes irreparable. I've run into the same issue with 20-year old Canon lenses, as well as lawn mowers.
My guess that even if there were spare parts, for the cost of fixing any nontrivial problem with 1D Mark II you could buy two of those at KEH.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
i find it hard to believe a camera lens would be able to refocus at 30 times a second, so maybe only work with say the new 400 2.8 and 600 f4

Well, in theory the 1D X Mark II can already refocus 120 times per second, with any EF lens. Of course not all lenses can keep up with rapid changes in subject distance though. Hopefully we'll get some reports soon on how well the M6II AF fares in the 30fps burst mode.

Upvote 0

Warrenl

CR Pro
Jul 15, 2012
What IS missing from it however is SHUTTER NOISE REDUCTION and YES I have been asked to LEAVE a meeting room/conference because the parties found the noise of my shutter rather objectionable! I then told them I could shoot VIDEO at 24 fps and get my still photo frames that way!

I agree totally on this. I want a quiet IDX3. I currently have 2 well used 1DX2's (1.5 and 1.6 million actuations) and would love them to be quite. I can hear them shooting across the room!

Upvote 0