Canon EOS-1D X Mark III rumoured specifications [CR1]

I am not sure why you’re talking about a sensor when I’m discussing canons autofocus

QUOTE="Architect1776, post: 797328, member: 379741"]
Canon sensor inferior?
What DR 1/2 stop at most at lowest ISO then Sony sensor DR drops below Canon as ISO goes up.
Or perhaps inferior by Sony having clown Disney colors SOC and to get anything usable need to do a bunch of PS where canon (And Fuji) SOC is near perfect.
Or what else?
[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0
Like I said before
It’s widely known that the A9 has superior AF
I’m hoping that canon spends the money they need so that they can catch up with better bodies. They got caught napping by Sony.
Then I’ll finally have a great body to pair with Canon's superior glass

So your positions is the A9 AF is incomparably better than the 1DX MkII? That is a farcical position.

The A9 might be ‘better’, especially for some users, it might have more focus points and a wider spread etc etc. but it isn’t incomparably better, my point was they are comparable.

Personally I haven’t used an EVF I can pan with for hours that doesn’t make me seasick because of the viewfinder lag, small though it may be, but thats me personally. I can’t see me adopting an ‘action camera‘ with EVF for that simple reason, it doiesnt matter how much better the AF is if I am on the sideline barfing my brains out I’m not taking pictures, and the truth is with current gear I miss very few opportunities. Diminishing returns were hit a long time ago...

Upvote 0
Please tell us what you're shooting that leads you to believe a 1dxII has inferior AF...I'd love to know (honestly).

Read the objective reviews
the 1dx has been surpassed in AF and a few other areas. this isn’t controversial at all. If you want a rugged professional body then the 1dx may still be the best choice but it’s not a spec or tech powerhouse at all

it’s old

Upvote 0
How would people feel if the 1DXiii was a mirrorless R body, that had no blackout and Canon had solved all issues important to sports/bird photographers? I would actually like this as it would unify my kit, but I wonder if hard core DSLR 1DXii owners would welcome the new mirrorless arrival or would some be upset?

I would think the biggest complaint by pros would be the need for an adapter to all those big white lenses until the R versions came out.

I would wet my pants and purchase one
but it’s unlikely
Canon is conservative and I suspect that they have had some tech limitations that force some of this conservatism. also many of their fans will resist a mirrorless body

Upvote 0
I would wet my pants and purchase one
but it’s unlikely
Canon is conservative and I suspect that they have had some tech limitations that force some of this conservatism. also many of their fans will resist a mirrorless body

They did make some controversial moves with the ergonomics on the R? I agree it is unlikely, but not impossible.

Upvote 0
Like I said before
It’s widely known that the A9 has superior AF
I’m hoping that canon spends the money they need so that they can catch up with better bodies. They got caught napping by Sony.
Then I’ll finally have a great body to pair with Canon's superior glass

You might be right in a very limited set of conditions, but until I see >50% A9s at a pro sporting event, I'm going to believe the difference in AF is not as big as you are making out. Maybe if you described a practical example it would help, because a running back or receiver in front of a bunch of rabid fans does not seem to be a problem for the 1DXII.

In an honest attempt to understand your argument, are you suggesting setting the AF to full screen/all points and let the camera control where it wants to focus? Do pros shoot that way? I don't.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
You might be right in a very limited set of conditions, but until I see >50% A9s at a pro sporting event, I'm going to believe the difference in AF is not as big as you are making out. Maybe if you described a practical example it would help, because a running back or receiver in front of a bunch of rabid fans does not seem to be a problem for the 1DXII.

In an honest attempt to understand your argument, are you suggesting setting the AF to full screen/all points and let the camera control where it wants to focus? Do pros shoot that way? I don't.

You are probably having a conversation with someone who doesn't use the 1dx2. People read the 1dxii is old and doesn't work and they start to believe. I was at I think DXO a few years ago and they had a list of the best wildlife cameras. They had several Sony cameras rated as better wildlife cameras than the 1dx2, and this was before the introduction of the a9. I think the 1dx2 was in the top ten but barely. People actually believe this nonsense especially when they don't use the cameras.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
You are probably having a conversation with someone who doesn't use the 1dx2. People read the 1dxii is old and doesn't work and they start to believe. I was at I think DXO a few years ago and they had a list of the best wildlife cameras. They had several Sony cameras rated as better wildlife cameras than the 1dx2, and this was before the introduction of the a9. I think the 1dx2 was in the top ten but barely. People actually believe this nonsense especially when they don't use the cameras.
Like RP said, until he sees it in the hands of__________. The latest and greatest is great for forum pundits and impatient GenZ's. However real paid shooters in the field are wiser than that. No other brand has the staying power of a 1 Series body.

Upvote 0
The number of pros who shoot with X is legacy related and not relevant to a comparison of camera x to y
Pros don’t suddenly switch their gear
I have a lot to L glass and I don’t feel like switching from canon because of it
But the 5D and 1D are old. The A9 has superior AF
It’s really simple

Upvote 0
The number of pros who shoot with X is legacy related and not relevant to a comparison of camera x to y
Pros don’t suddenly switch their gear
I have a lot to L glass and I don’t feel like switching from canon because of it
But the 5D and 1D are old. The A9 has superior AF
It’s really simple

Oh, ok.

Anyone want to buy my 1DXii that I have been using for fast moving sports (volleyball) for years now without any significant AF issues? I have decided to move let my camera do all my focusing and thinking for me, which means I need an A9--evidently.

Oh yeah, and Doc, where can I get that Sony 200mm f/2 that I like for volleyball? I couldn't find it on B&H.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
That’s not the argument

you are a skilled photographer and can get great shots with even a camera 10 years old.

my statement is that when you compare the Af of camera x vs y there is a significant Difference. Technology isn’t everything but yes the A9 i has better AF

How many types of AF does the A9 have? How many does the 1DXii have? Are you testing all these with actual lenses on the cameras? I shoot almost exclusively with a fixed point. Are you arguing the A9 with a 400mm f/2.8 lens is significantly faster in single point AF than a 1DXii, or are you only talking automatic tracking of birds using eye detection or whatever (which I don't care about, sorry).

Upvote 0
The 5D4 is old? Your Earth spins at a different speed than the rest of ours buddy.

its a venerable camera but long in tooth. I can’t figure out how canon will slot it’s replacement but look forward to it.

I still shoot with my 7dii. I have fond memories of the 7d series. Love them
I love it and get great shots
But it’s old and technologically inferior
I don’t understand the irrational and emotional arguement if anyone who would say anything different.

Upvote 0
How many types of AF does the A9 have? How many does the 1DXii have? Are you testing all these with actual lenses on the cameras? I shoot almost exclusively with a fixed point. Are you arguing the A9 with a 400mm f/2.8 lens is significantly faster in single point AF than a 1DXii, or are you only talking automatic tracking of birds using eye detection or whatever (which I don't care about, sorry).

single point Af is just one aspect if AF and I don’t know if there’s a big difference in that specific usage situation. Overall mirrorless has some AF advantages and the A9 has the best combinational of attributes in regards to AF. Speed, coverage, tracking etc
Don’t take my work for it
Rent one or just read some unbiased reviews

I eagerly await canons response
I’m hoping that their newest bodies show significant improvements because I’m already invested in their lenses and the adapters for canon lenses to other bodies don’t work well enough IMO

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
its a venerable camera but long in tooth. I can’t figure out how canon will slot it’s replacement but look forward to it.

I still shoot with my 7dii. I have fond memories of the 7d series. Love them
I love it and get great shots
But it’s old and technologically inferior
I don’t understand the irrational and emotional arguement if anyone who would say anything different.
Perhaps peoples saying different will not be irrational and emotional yet you saying beforehand is setting the scene for something akin to a political spin ala fake news. Or we could just say BS. Plus how about your contradictions with the 7D line testimonial you just gave and the calling the latest iteration of the 5D long in tooth? Long according to whom? One person?

If you have ideas and expertise on how to shorten high end camera body R&D and tooling cycles, I bet Canon is chomping at the bit to have you on the engineering team. My point is, your desires and wants are selfish and unrealistic. Not that there's anything wrong with that on a rumors forum, in fact it's a daily occurrence. But once again just because something happens time and time again doesn't make it correct.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Perhaps peoples saying different will not be irrational and emotional yet you saying beforehand is setting the scene for something akin to a political spin ala fake news. Or we could just say BS. Plus how about your contradictions with the 7D line testimonial you just gave and the calling the latest iteration of the 5D long in tooth? Long according to whom? One person?

If you have ideas and expertise on how to shorten high end camera body R&D and tooling cycles, I bet Canon is chomping at the bit to have you on the engineering team. My point is, your desires and wants are selfish and unrealistic. Not that there's anything wrong with that on a rumors forum, in fact it's a daily occurrence. But once again just because something happens time and time again doesn't make it correct.

As long as we're on it, if Canon doesn't produce an 18-600 mm f/1.0 zoom that can fit in my pocket, they're doomed.

• Haha
Upvote 0